Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi CBK40 username password reset help needed from Netgear mod

blayz1
Aspirant

Orbi CBK40 username password reset help needed from Netgear mod

Unit will not reset to factory settings via reset button. Attempted firmware update via TFTP but it would not load. Previous owner passed away so could not access/change network username and password. Purchase documents were already submitted and change of ownership/registration was tranferred into my name successfully.   

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi CBK40 username password reset help needed from Netgear mod

What happens if you disconnect the coax from the back of the CBR40, then press the reset button in back for 15 seconds, leaving your wired PC connected to the CBR40. You don't need internet access to access the setup wizard. Your PC should get a 192.168.1.something address and then you should be able to access the CBR40s web page at 192.168.1.1...

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 20

All Replies
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @blayz1

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

Please describe LED status. 

How did you reset the device? Press and hold the reset button of the router until the power led starts blinking orange. You should notice a click by pressing the reset button. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 2 of 20
blayz1
Aspirant

Hi Blanca, yes attempted to reset multiple times. It goes from amber to green to purple then just goes into an endless white blinking loop. When I power off then power back on it works but has not reset to factory defaults. Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 20
blayz1
Aspirant

Just to clarify here is the process..

*Router status on and connected to Internet via ethernet

*click and depress reset button - after about 10 seconds all blue LEDs on front panel turn off - power LED turns blue - 2 center LEDs blink light pink - #4 LED turns blue - then ALL blue LEDs light up sequentially 1-2-3-4...however, no reset or Internet connection is established.

*Only after shutting router down and powering back up it re-connects to Internet and shows old network under avail WiFi connections, along with an additional WiFi connection labeled "Hidden Network"

*Went through this process about 10 times but the router just doesn't seem to want to reset to the factory default settings

Message 4 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Try pressing the reset button for 15 seconds, 10 maybe too short. 

Does a wired PC get an IP address after pressing the reset button for 15 seoonds, then let go. Final top LED should slowly pulsate WHITE, this means the CBR40 is ready and the wired PC should have an IP address of 192.168.1.something. Use a web browser and navigate to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. I think it's .1.1. 

Let us know if this works. 

Message 5 of 20
blayz1
Aspirant

Furry thanks. When I hold the reset down I can get to the pulsing white on top with 4 solid blues on the front...however, there's no Internet connection to allow access to the IP address. I then have to power the router off and back on in order to get the Internet connection, but it's back to the old account settings again. So something seems to be blocking the reset to factory defaults.

Message 6 of 20
blayz1
Aspirant

btw...not sure if it means anything, but while holding the reset down the light on top goes from amber to green to purple...and then to the pulsing white.

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, so when you have a wired PC connected to the CBR40, does this PC get an IP address? 

After the reset, what IP address does your PC get? 

None of the IP addresses work to get to the web page? Or orbilogin.net 

Message 8 of 20
blayz1
Aspirant

Right when it gets to the pulsing white light it won't connect to the Internet, so therefore won't connect to any IP or orbilogin.net. I then have to re-boot the router in order to access the Internet, at which point it does connect to http://192.168.1.1/...but, it's requiring the old username and password which I do not have...that is the sticking point.   

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you disconnect the coax from the back of the CBR40, then press the reset button in back for 15 seconds, leaving your wired PC connected to the CBR40. You don't need internet access to access the setup wizard. Your PC should get a 192.168.1.something address and then you should be able to access the CBR40s web page at 192.168.1.1...

Message 10 of 20
blayz1
Aspirant

Wow that did it! Once I disconnected the coax cable and hit reset for 15 seconds then went to 192.168.1.1 it immediately loaded up the initial set-up screen. Might be a good idea for Netgear to add that step to the user guide.

Thank so much for the support you are awesome, Sensei!

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesomeness. Glad you got it reset. Ya, shouldn't have to disconnect the coax for a reset. Wonder if something on the coax side was keeping it from resetting. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 20
blayz1
Aspirant

Ahh do you think it might have been some sort of block by Spectrum? Secondarily, I was now able to update the Orbi firmware to V2.3.5.12_1.0.8...but, my speed only tested at 101.9

mbps when it's supposed to be at 400 mbps. Do you think this might be a FW compatibility issue and/or some other router setting can be optimized?

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

ISPs normally push FW to modems so not sure about the updates. However I believe NGs FW is only for the router side of the modem. 

I see this in the release notes for the CBR40:

New Features and Enhancements:

• Brings NETGEAR Armor to SKUs using the Orbi CBR40 router

Seen various posters over on the Orbi RBR forum about Armor causing some issues. Did you enable this after the FW was updated? 

Do you know the version that was loaded prior? 

Possible you might go back to last known working version. 

If you factory reset the CBR40 and just setup from scratch and didn't enable any QoS, Traffic Meter or Access Controls, speeds should be up there. 

Message 14 of 20
blayz1
Aspirant

Nope did not activate Armor or anything else just followed the setup wizard and updated FW. Not sure which version was previously installed just that it was shut down in late 2018 and not updated since then. Do you think I should contact my ISP tech support about the FW issue?

Message 15 of 20
blayz1
Aspirant

btw...speed test results within router settings a bit better but still nowhere near 400 mbps..

Download - 214.89 mbps 

Upload - 23.31 mbps

Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try going back to v210 and see. V210 would be in time frame of 2018. Was last one I loaded. I need to check out my CBR40 with this new stuff. Smiley Frustrated

Message 17 of 20
blayz1
Aspirant

Ok I contacted Spectrum and they did some kind of a hard reset which kicked the speed up to around 300 mbps. I'm also running CAT8 ethernet cables but the coax is like 15 yrs old so may end up getting that upgraded soon. I haven't tried rolling back the FW but will check back here and report the results when I do. Thanks again! 

Message 18 of 20
blayz1
Aspirant

Rolled FW back but it actually slowed the speed down a bit so updated to V2.3.0.10_1.0.8 again.  

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like that was an ISP issue. Glad it's working better. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7