Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi CBR40 password reset endless loop

steveberry10
Tutor

Orbi CBR40 password reset endless loop

I'm trying to reset the admin password on my Orbi cable modem/router and I'm stuck in the old endless loop: answer questions, choose new password, answer questions again, password is invalid, rinse & repeat.

I've read that this is a bug so has there been an upgrade to fix it yet?  Otherwise is there a way I can do this without doing a factory reset?  I'm really not wanting to go down that path.

I have an Orbi CBR40, connecting from MacOS 10.15.4 (Catalina) using Safari 13.1.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the CBR40 and setup from scratch. Be sure to walk thru the setup wizard and write down all important information for safe keeping. 

Message 2 of 8
BaumgartN
Aspirant

Did you get a splve for this. I'm havinng the same issue. Tried on multiple browsers and devices.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the CBR40 and setup from scratch. Be sure to walk thru the setup wizard and write down all important information for safe keeping. 

@BaumgartN wrote:

Did you get a splve for this. I'm havinng the same issue. Tried on multiple browsers and devices.

Message 4 of 8
d700
Apprentice

Same is happening on my Orbi RBR750. 

Joke is on me, I swore off Netgear after buggy software and aggravation on the last 2 NightHawks I bought. My son recommended this new company, Orbi.

It worked great when I set it up the first time but I almost took it back when I learned it was a Netgear company,

Once I started having problems like this I wish I would have.

I am about to do my 2nd factory reset in 6 months. 

I absolutely hate Netgear and will not recommend either Netgear or Orbi to anyone. Not to mention these forums are a joke, blind leading the blind, noone from Netgear monitors, offers solutions.

Netgear you are just horrible

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 15 seconds then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on. Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Helps save time if a reset is needed. 

@d700 wrote:

Same is happening on my Orbi RBR750. 

Joke is on me, I swore off Netgear after buggy software and aggravation on the last 2 NightHawks I bought. My son recommended this new company, Orbi.

It worked great when I set it up the first time but I almost took it back when I learned it was a Netgear company,

Once I started having problems like this I wish I would have.

I am about to do my 2nd factory reset in 6 months. 

I absolutely hate Netgear and will not recommend either Netgear or Orbi to anyone. Not to mention these forums are a joke, blind leading the blind, noone from Netgear monitors, offers solutions.

Netgear you are just horrible

Message 6 of 8
d700
Apprentice

orbilogin.com...hillarious.

So far, googling for "how to login to Netgear or Orbi router" I've counted 4 possible login combos for which Safari will remember a unique, possibly different, password:

orbilogin.com - prompt

routerlogin.com - prompt

routerlogin.net - straight to password reset

192.168.1.1 - straight to password reset

So while I suspect the Orbi resolves them all to the same internal webpage, Safari will save 4 different website login combos. When you combine that with Orbi's proposensity to quickly prompt for a password reset, rather than giving you say a countdown of 5 attempts, its causing the user to bail out and reset.

Example: I reset router last night via the app, got everything working again.

When I try to access the first 2 above I get prompted for a login& password, which i just cancelled out. The next 2 go straight to password reset.

Netgear: Please clean this up...give us a more robust login process that avoids these potholes.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure you clear out your browser caches first and also clear out any saved PW profiles for those check points in the browser as well.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7