Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi CBR40 slower after higher speed from ISP

GEQ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Orbi CBR40 slower after higher speed from ISP

This topic has been discussed at great length in the forums, but I have a little different variant. I have a CBR 40, was doing great with 50M service from Spectrum, decided to cut the cord, stopped my cable and landline, Spectrum rep told me only 200 M service was available when purchased alone.  Since that time my speed test on the Spectrum site is 200 plus, but on other test sites like Ookla, using more distant servers, my speed drops to <50.  Prior to cutting the cord, we disconnected the cable box and used Firestick with no problems. Now with the "faster" service, the streaming service will buffer once or twice during a program.  I have spoken with TS at Spectrum, technician came out, (twice) and adjusted db levels to specs, took the CBR40 out of the loop and used his own modem, which showed close to 1 gb (which I have not purchased). Bottom line seems to be that the problem rests with the Orbi.  I have completed hard reset (paper clip), no benefit, daisy chaining, beamforming, MIMO and fast roaming are enabled, IP lease renewed, all without benefit. running Win 10 Pro, firmware is 2.3.5.12. I have not seen a good solution posted here or elsewhere, don't want to spend another $90 for Netgear TS, anyone have any thoughts.  I am pretty much ready to replace with a free standing modem and another mesh router. Thanks in advance

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi CBR40 slower after higher speed from ISP

Where you speed testing with a wired connected PC or wireless? Wire connected is preferred. 

Last time i had mine on line at 1Gb I did see hear 900Mpbs speeds:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/CBR40-Speed-Test-Results/m-p/1663025...

I don't have mine online currently as I'm running a CM1100 right now with two Orbi systems. 

Possible there is a FW issue in recent updates or your system maybe faulty. 

@vkdelta 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Where you speed testing with a wired connected PC or wireless? Wire connected is preferred. 

Last time i had mine on line at 1Gb I did see hear 900Mpbs speeds:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/CBR40-Speed-Test-Results/m-p/1663025...

I don't have mine online currently as I'm running a CM1100 right now with two Orbi systems. 

Possible there is a FW issue in recent updates or your system maybe faulty. 

@vkdelta 

Message 2 of 4
GEQ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Furry,

Thanks for the reply, I think my system is bad, replacing it as we speak, CM600 and RBK50, going to be seriously annoyed if there is no improvement. All my spped tests were wired, 6a cable, changed out cables several times.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I would check with your ISP first to see if they support the CM600 at near 900Mbps on there system. Some ISPs require a DOCSIS 3.1 modem which the CM600 is not. I know for my ISP, they start at the CM700 including the CBK40(CM700 inside), however they prefer the CM1000 or higher. I have the CM1100 here for my 1Gb service. The CM1000 and up are all DOCSIS 3.1 modems. 

@GEQ wrote:

Furry,

Thanks for the reply, I think my system is bad, replacing it as we speak, CM600 and RBK50, going to be seriously annoyed if there is no improvement. All my spped tests were wired, 6a cable, changed out cables several times.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7