Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK 53 & new CBR40

JimHolman
Aspirant

Orbi RBK 53 & new CBR40

I own the Orbi RBK 53 package distributed by Costco. This is the combination of an Orbi router + 2 satellites. My question is about the yet to be released new CBR40 combo of a modem & Orbi router. My question is will the older base station router (not a satellite) be able to operate as a satellite to the CBR40 router? My goal would be to have the new CBR40 act as a base to both my existing router & satellites - all 3 acting as satellites.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi RBK 53 & new CBR40

no the old router can not function as a satellite.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
JimHolman
Aspirant

Hmmm. Now I have conflicting answers. In a Netgear chat with Tricia T, who seemed knowledgeable, I got the opposite answer. She said all that was necessary was to set the RBK53 router to Access Point mode.

Message 3 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

yes it can be used as a AP but you can not use it like a satellite and connect it via wireless backhaul.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 9
JimHolman
Aspirant

Thank you, Darren. After re-reading the manual on AP,  think I understand now. If I understand correctly now, the older router would have to be connected by an ethernet cable to the newer CBR40 to act as a satellite in a system with other satellites connected wirelessly.

Message 5 of 9

Any chance of Netgear releasing update to convert RBK into RBS ?

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

RBKs are kits, router and 1 to 3 satelllites. Orbi routers only run in router mode or AP mode. They are not designed to be extenders like satellites. RBS models are just that, satellites. 

@ConstantineP wrote:

Any chance of Netgear releasing update to convert RBK into RBS ?

Message 7 of 9

What i meant is if i replace my RBK with the new CBR40 can i then flash the old RBK and make it a sattelite to extend network ? Would that be an option ? Thank you 

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

The RBR50 in that kit can't be run like a satellite. So no. You can use the RBS satellites from that kit with the CBK kit. 

@ConstantineP wrote:

What i meant is if i replace my RBK with the new CBR40 can i then flash the old RBK and make it a sattelite to extend network ? Would that be an option ? Thank you 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7