Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBS20 AP settings

GWild
Guide

Orbi RBS20 AP settings

Orbi RBS20 Satellite 

Can the Access Point on a satellite be disabled?  I believe the satelitte is just close enough to a TV that the TV is constantly changing mesh zones and half the time can't get an IP address after it sleeps.  Only the TV has this issue (that I can tell).  The BRP and Receiver seem to do okay - but they are a foot farther away from the satellite.

I need to keep the satellite in the bridge mode it is working on (using the wired ports), but want the AP to not allow connections. 

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

No, the wifi on the RBS can't be disabled. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 2 of 8
GWild
Guide

The issue is the TV in question is exactly half way between the router and the satellite.  And for whatever reason it has a problem reconnecting after it goes to sleep. The TV randomly chooses the router or the satellite ... half the time showing up on the router side, sometimes showing up on the satellite.  My thought is if an IP was given through the satellite to a certainmac, the router won't allow a new connection through the router to the same mac. Like the IP allocation table isn't being cleared when a device drops.

The BRP and receiver that are very close have no issues - but I'm not convinced they ever turn off their wifi. The TV does, and shows "can't connect" on startup.  This lasts minutes and sometimes fails altogether requiring a full power down restart.

Home size is not a factor.  All other devices are working as expected.  Mesh is working as expected, mobile devices swap APs without issue.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? This can be a factor.

You can try lowering the power output of the RBR from 100%, try 75% then 50%. 

If the TV is having a problem connecting to WiFi after coming out of sleep, this would need to be reviewed by the TV mfr. 

Message 4 of 8
GWild
Guide

Dx twixt CBR and RBS is 30'

And the TV hopping between devices and not able to recover an IP isn't a TV problem; the router is not giving the TV the IP. TV comes in blind with an arp request that is not being honored by the router.  Unfortunately failed ARP requests are not being logged so it's hard to prove.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the TVs firmware been updated any? 

Might try this, First set WPA and TPIK on the CBR40 and see if this changes any behavior with the TV. If not, set all WPA on the CBR40 to disabled temporarily. Try the TV. See what happens here and let us know.

Re-enabled WPA2 and AES only after testing...

Just because it seems the router isn't honoring the arp request doesn't mean it's a router problem. Possible TV is not giving good or correct information to the router for it to accept it. 

Message 6 of 8
GWild
Guide

Set the TV to static IP and connectivity has improved.  Router now simply accepts its connection.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend if you set static IP ON the TV. Be sure this address resides outside of the routers default IP address pool. Set a smaller pools size so you can have static IP addressed devices outside the pool. 

Glad this is working for you. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7