Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite suddenly not connecting

imssh
Guide

Orbi Satellite suddenly not connecting

I have a CBR750 with an RBS750. They have been working well for months. Today, they stopped working together.

I updated the satellite to firmware V4.6.7.13 thinking that might help with a strange connectivity issue I was getting on my iPhone this morning. But, once I did, the satellite never reconnected to the router. I have restarted the satellite multiple times, tried to sync (which appears to succeed, even showing the steady blue LED), and can even log into the satellite on its IP address and it says everything is fine...

...but the link to the router doesn't exist and the router doesn't see it.

What are my next steps?

Thanks in advance...

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellite suddenly not connecting

What FW is loaded on the CBR? 

What FW version was prior loaded on the RBS. 

Only approved released version for the RBS that comes with the CBR750 is 4.6.5.14 currently. The v.13 version if for RBSs that are packaged with the RBR series. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11

All Replies
imssh
Guide

Satellite status...

Message 2 of 11
imssh
Guide

...and after a factory reset of BOTH the router and satellite, I'm completely dead in the water on the satellite. Fortunately, I still have the router working, but the point of the satellite is for coverage, and it's now useless.

I have even moved it to within a few feet of the router and attempted to sync... to no avail.

What a pile of dung! Preferring a weak, buggy, and poorly thought-out app to the web interface, plus having no way in the interfaces to see the progress of the attempted sync makes this beyond frustrating. ...and when I have to PAY to get help for an issue with NetGear's hardware/software because it didn't happen in the first few days of installation? Unpardonable.

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is loaded on the CBR? 

What FW version was prior loaded on the RBS. 

Only approved released version for the RBS that comes with the CBR750 is 4.6.5.14 currently. The v.13 version if for RBSs that are packaged with the RBR series. 

Message 4 of 11
imssh
Guide

I downgraded the satellite and have now been able to resync them by placing them next to each other. Thanks for your help. SO frustrating.

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, glad that worked. Ya understand the frustration. 

Just keep in mind that the CBR kit with a RBS needs to be kept in same FW and what's seen on NG download site. 

The RBK kits won't be on same version and RBS need to be kept on those FW version seen on NG download site for those kits. I don't thing NG intended these different version to mix on the RBS between these two kits. 

Message 6 of 11
imssh
Guide

Downgrading did fix it for me, but very frustrating that there is no indication of this on the site... and there's no idea why the new firmware would break this configuration.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, how you came to decide and update the RBS? Did you first check the CBK752 site for updates on the RBS? 

Message 8 of 11
imssh
Guide

I did first check the site for the CBK and saw that I was on the current firmware. Then, I checked the RBS site, since I don't trust the firmware update sites to be correct (I have had a number of times when the firmware checks show none but there are updates).

I checked because I was having network issues with some of my devices which were not related to my ISP, but which seemed to be WLAN related... I won't do that again!

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok just wondering. 

Ya historically NG auto update services have not been good for users so I believe over time NG is holding that back until a later time frame. 

Keep with checking the NG download site and here in the forums as I try to keep what's officially posted on NG sites included here. 

Be sure to keep the CBK752 separate from the RBK752 kits in regards to the RBS. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 10 of 11
imssh
Guide

All good advice... thank you!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements