Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi and Xfinity

Baxter2020
Guide

Orbi and Xfinity

I’m looking to add Orbi for a larger home and wanted the latest version. I was thinking of adding to the latest Xfinity Gateway and saw how that is possible, but is there also a new Orbi version that includes the modem so I can stop renting from Xfinity? The older model seems backordered everywhere. Is it possible to add an Orbi modem after the fact if I start with the mesh and decide to swap out the Xfinity gateway after the fact? The gateway is their new model - CGM4331COM
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

There hasn't currently been an Orbi AX Modem released. Or announced that I've seen.
I'd recommend separating them out anyway so the ISP doesn't control the firmware on it. And then its easier to upgrade or replace a unit if something goes wrong.
Message 2 of 5
Baxter2020
Guide

Thanks for replying! So I am clear, you are suggesting dropping the Xfinity gateway so it is a cleaner setup? Is the older Orbi modem compatible with the new models that have been released? If anyone has any recommendations on the right model for Xfinity service, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

I just mean running the modem seperate from the router is a good plan. 

Something like the CM1000/CM1100 work great with orbi. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

There is the NG CAX80 which is NG next gen gateway modem with AX wifi. No release date though. 

IF you want AX now, install a CM series modem and get a Orbi AX 7 or 8 series system behind the CM modem. 

@Baxter2020 wrote:
I’m looking to add Orbi for a larger home and wanted the latest version. I was thinking of adding to the latest Xfinity Gateway and saw how that is possible, but is there also a new Orbi version that includes the modem so I can stop renting from Xfinity? The older model seems backordered everywhere. Is it possible to add an Orbi modem after the fact if I start with the mesh and decide to swap out the Xfinity gateway after the fact? The gateway is their new model - CGM4331COM

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7