Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi cable modem / router / satellite setup

OzgurOgut
Follower

Orbi cable modem / router / satellite setup

I'm an Xfinity customer in Seattle and am looking to update our Netgear C6300 with a more updated system that will be relatively future-proof and provide more seamless coverage. Our internet is 1200 down so we're ready for a docsis 3.1 system to take full advantage now and be better prepared for the future, and we'd also like a WIFI-6 system as our laptops support it.

My ideal set-up would be a docsis 3.1, WIFI-6 capable cable modem / router, and then visually unobstrusive satellites (ideally wall plug type) to set up a seamless mesh system that is reasonably future-proof. We have a smaller footprint house but we have 3 floors and a rooftop so I'd like to have seamless connectivity and hand-off regardless of where people are accessing the internet.

As I researched on Netgear's website, these are the questions I have and would greatly appreciate advice and answers:

1. It seemed to me the easiest way to do this would be the AX4200 system in general: Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System (4.2Gbps, Built-in Cable Modem Router) + 1 Satellite, and I could maybe add more Orbi satellites. However, Netgear's system suggests this cable modem/router isn't compatible with xfinity. Is this accurate and up-to-date? Just wondering if it's a case where there's no 'formal' approval from xfinity because they haven't tested it etc... but practically speaking members have indeed used this gear successfully with their xfinity service?

2. I see that there is also an AX6000 system but if I'm not mistaken, these do not have a cable modem/router but are rather just routers that would require an additional modem - have I understood that correctly?

3. Alternatively, it looks like I could get the xfinity compatible CAX80 model (Nighthawk® DOCSIS® 3.1 6Gbps Two-in-one Cable Modem + WiFi 6 Router) and then I'm assuming I can complement that with Orbi RBS850 satellites to create the mesh network?

4. Can I use the wall plug-type AX1800 WiFi Mesh Extenders (EAX15) with the CAX80 modem/router and still maintain effective WIFI-6 mesh system and maximize our internet connection? This product seems to be dual-band versus the Orbi tri-band satellites so I'm not sure if there are near-term or longer-term limitations to the AX1800 product? The other thing that makes me pause is that the AX1800 is referred to as an 'extender' whereas the Orbi units are 'satellites' and I'm not sure if that terminology indicates a difference that I'm not familiar with or if it's just esoteric but not meaningful.

I'd appreciate any help or clarification to the above.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi cable modem / router / satellite setup

@OzgurOgut wrote:

I'm an Xfinity customer in Seattle and am looking to update our Netgear C6300 with a more updated system that will be relatively future-proof and provide more seamless coverage. Our internet is 1200 down so we're ready for a docsis 3.1 system to take full advantage now and be better prepared for the future, and we'd also like a WIFI-6 system as our laptops support it.

My ideal set-up would be a docsis 3.1, WIFI-6 capable cable modem / router, and then visually unobstrusive satellites (ideally wall plug type) to set up a seamless mesh system that is reasonably future-proof. We have a smaller footprint house but we have 3 floors and a rooftop so I'd like to have seamless connectivity and hand-off regardless of where people are accessing the internet.

As I researched on Netgear's website, these are the questions I have and would greatly appreciate advice and answers:

1. It seemed to me the easiest way to do this would be the AX4200 system in general: Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System (4.2Gbps, Built-in Cable Modem Router) + 1 Satellite, and I could maybe add more Orbi satellites. However, Netgear's system suggests this cable modem/router isn't compatible with xfinity. Is this accurate and up-to-date? Just wondering if it's a case where there's no 'formal' approval from xfinity because they haven't tested it etc... but practically speaking members have indeed used this gear successfully with their xfinity service?

Ask the ISP first always see what they suppor on there network. 

2. I see that there is also an AX6000 system but if I'm not mistaken, these do not have a cable modem/router but are rather just routers that would require an additional modem - have I understood that correctly? Correct.

3. Alternatively, it looks like I could get the xfinity compatible CAX80 model (Nighthawk® DOCSIS® 3.1 6Gbps Two-in-one Cable Modem + WiFi 6 Router) and then I'm assuming I can complement that with Orbi RBS850 satellites to create the mesh network?

No.

4. Can I use the wall plug-type AX1800 WiFi Mesh Extenders (EAX15) with the CAX80 modem/router and still maintain effective WIFI-6 mesh system and maximize our internet connection? Yes This product seems to be dual-band versus the Orbi tri-band satellites so I'm not sure if there are near-term or longer-term limitations to the AX1800 product? The other thing that makes me pause is that the AX1800 is referred to as an 'extender' whereas the Orbi units are 'satellites' and I'm not sure if that terminology indicates a difference that I'm not familiar with or if it's just esoteric but not meaningful. Extenders are just that, wifi extender that extend the wifi coverage from the main host router. Satellies are similar however also appart of a MESH system with a wireless or wired backhaul for there connections back to the main host RBR or router. Something that the extenders do not support thus the difference between dual and tri-band systems. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7