Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi router compatibility with Sky broadband

martin-42
Aspirant

Orbi router compatibility with Sky broadband

Hi,

I want to replace my existing router with an Orbi system to improve my Wifi but am conscious that for the router to work with Sky broadband it needs to support MER allowing it to use the routers MAC and other information (client ID and password)to authenticate the router onto the network.

Do the Orbi routers support this and will they work with Sky Broadband?

Thanks

Martin

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

This is the Orbi Cable modem forum. So this unit already has a build in modem and router. Are you looking for just the Orbi router system? 

I believe they do. I recommend you contact the ISP to see what is needed or required by the ISP to work with there system. 

Also, be aware of modem/router combo units:

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 4
martin-42
Aspirant

Hi   FURRYe38,

Thanks for the info, I didn't at first think about my requirement not needing a modem.  Sky provide a BT Openworld fibre modem and a hub that I want to swap out. The issue is in order for any other device to get an IP via DHCP the device needs to support MER and the DHCP options to send a username and password.

I didn't see these details on any of the Orbi tech data I looked at.

I'll take a look and find the router forum.

Thanks

Martin

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, if you have Fiber as your ISP service, then the Cable Orbi will not work for you. Possible the non Cable modem Orbi system may work as a router replacement between the ISP fiber serivce and there router. Somerthing you'll need to ask the ISP about to see what they required and what can be used as a router on there system. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7