Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 as satellite

AnimalUK
Aspirant

RBR50 as satellite

I currently have an RBR50 router connected to my ASUS modem/routerrunning custom FW and a RBS50 satellite.  All is working great but I'd like to get rid of the Asus modem to tidy up space.

I have the system setup to seperate my 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bands to fully support my smart home devices

If I was to buy the Orbi cable modem (CBR40) could I use the RBR50 router I already have as a second satellite to further extend my coverage ?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
AnimalUK
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 as satellite

Apologies.

I had a look through the forums and couldn't find an answer so I posted.  Continued looking and within minutes found a post stating

" RBRs don't work as satellites and thus can't be integrated as such. Limitation of the chipset code"

Seems very constrictive on Netgears behalf.  Suppose I'll have to stick with the system I've got now and another boxs on top of my desk 🙂

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 as satellite

Any RBR can not be used as a satellite. You could connect it up as a 2ndary wired AP and use a different SSID name. However it can not be appart of your current Orbi MESH system. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7