Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS 750 Constantly disconnecting

cpmassen
Apprentice

RBS 750 Constantly disconnecting

I have this exact same problem (have had it now for several months) and it is so annoying.  Only the devices connected to my satellite on the far side of the house and back deck (TV) are affected.  It will disconnect at random times all thru the day.  Usually only for a few seconds but enough to destroy a zoom meeting or make watching TV difficult.  Something needs to be done to fix this.  I have completely reset my entire system and nothing is helping at all.

Message 1 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

My satellite continues to randomly disconnect all throughout the day.  Is there a fix for this?  It has been going on for months!

Message 2 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you still on this version of FW?

There is newer FW available:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

@cpmassen wrote:

My satellite continues to randomly disconnect all throughout the day.  Is there a fix for this?  It has been going on for months!

Message 3 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

This is the satellite firmware 

Satellite RBS750 Living Room Satellite V4.6.5.14 No New Firmware Available

I am using xfinity for my ISP and I have the ORBI CRB 750 with the built in cable modem.  

Router CBR750 CBR750 V4.6.5.8 No New Firmware Available

3100 square foot home.  And the satellite is 30 feet (maybe a few more) away from the main unit.  

Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Set CTS to 2347

The CBR and RBS750 are apart of the CBK752 system, thus we've moved into the right forum location for your system. 

Also this is the support and FW download back for both the CBR750 and RBS750 that comes in the CBK752 kit:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/cbk752.aspx#download

This is not be confused with the RBS that comes in the RBK752 kit. These are different thus FW is different as well. 

Message 5 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

I was using Auto on the 2.4 and 48 on the 5.0 but switched them to 6 and 40 after reading that may help but it didn’t help at all. Yes I have Wi-Fi neighbors next to me and behind my house. Not super close but in a neighborhood. I just completed my second full factory reset of the system last week. I did find it interesting the satellite retained the same custome name I had given it after I reset the system. Is there a way to factory reset just the satellite to default settings?

Is my firmware the most updated on both devices?

I can change the CTS now to see if that helps.
Message 6 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Try reduce the transmit power on the RBR from 100% to 50% as well. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

FW is current for now. Will check on something though. 

Message 7 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

Thank you.  I have made all of these changes, and will monitor it now.  When it was given me a lot of problems around 3:00 p.m. this afternoon I just found this in the event log details.  In fact, the log is full of messages just like this each and every day. Could this help pinpoint anything?

Jul 19 2022 15:00:13     Warning (5)     RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW

Message 8 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Is that the only item seen in the even log? 

Why not take a screen capture of the CBRs cable connection status page for us to take a look at as well.

Message 9 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

Event Log Screenshot 1

Message 10 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

Event log screenshot 2

Message 11 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

Event log screenshot 3. 

Message 12 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

How about the Cable Connection status page please.

Message 13 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

Cable connection screenshot #1

Message 14 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

Cable connection screenshot #2

Message 15 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

Cable connection screenshot #3

Message 16 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

The device is disconnecting about every minute now.  Should I change the the CTS settings back to default?  What is the default CTS settings? 

Message 17 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Default should be 64, you can try 500 as well.

The power levels on the CBR are a bit too low. Might ask the ISP if they can raise that a notch or two. https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311

Message 18 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

Thanks for the help.  I spoke with the ISP and they are sending out a technician to troubleshoot & hopefully raise the power levels a notch or two.  What is the most updated firmware for my two devices?  Are there any manual downloads I can try to help fix things also?

Message 19 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us updated on the current changes you made and see if the RBS kesps connected. 

After the ISP check the signal levels post the new cable connection status page. 

Message 20 of 28
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello cpmassen,

Thank you for your post!

The most updated firmware for your Orbi devices is listed below:

CBR750 (Orbi Cable Router) Firmware Version 4.6.5.8

Please navigate to the following link for the firmware download file:

RBR750 (Orbi Cable Router) Firmware Version 4.6.5.14

Please navigate to the following link for the firmware download file:

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

@KevinLiT 

Even though the RBS is the same one used on the RBK 7 series, the FW for the RBK series is not compatible with the CBR FW. Thus the FW for the RBS that comes with the CBR needs to keep in sync and flow with that the CBR gets. So any FW for the RBS that comes with the CBR750 should be downloaded from the CBK752 series web site for both CBR and RBS units:

We've seen problem with using RBS FW from the RBK system that causes problems when used with a CBR750 thats not on the same FW level. So its not recommended to use the specific RBS FW from the RBK units when the RBS is with a CBR750.  

Message 22 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@cpmassen wrote:

Thanks for the help.  I spoke with the ISP and they are sending out a technician to troubleshoot & hopefully raise the power levels a notch or two.  What is the most updated firmware for my two devices?  Are there any manual downloads I can try to help fix things also?

Message 23 of 28
cpmassen
Apprentice

Thanks for checking back in.  The technician came out and said all my levels for for downstream power levels are good and in the appropriate levels didn't need any adjustments.  I showed him the details of this webpage https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311 and he said being near 0 was the goal.  So after he left I completely set my Orbi system back up from scratch again and haven't had an issues for the last 16-18 hours.  I still don't have confidence the issue won't come back again as it has done this before after a full reset of the system.

Message 24 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you post another cable connection status page please?

Last one you posted was -8.something range. Thats not near 0 thats blow zero...

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7