Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS20 Satellite slow internet speeds, both on Wifi and Ethernet connected devices

renanmarques
Tutor

RBS20 Satellite slow internet speeds, both on Wifi and Ethernet connected devices

Hello,

after reading through (and testing) pretty much everything there is about this very common issue in all forums/comunities available out there, I have not been able to solve the problem. Here's a detailed description:

- I Have a CBR40 Modem/Router (FW: v2.5.0.14) + an RBS20 Satellite (FW: v2.6.2.104)

- The CBR40 sits in my living room, connected to my 300mbps Xfinity/Comcast cable

- The RBS20 Satellite sits in my basement. The distance between the CBR40 and the Satellite is just between 25 and 30 feet (26,5 feet, to be precise, acording to a WiFi analyzer)

- The backhaul connection is wireless, and as informed by the router admin page, it's currently using the 5Ghz frequency. Plus, the backhaul quality is displayed as Good

Capture.JPG

- I have tested the Satellite speed in many different ways, including cell over wifi, laptop over wifi, laptop over ethernet, gaming console over wifi, gaming console over ethernet etc

- Currently, I have my PS5 connected to the Satellite through an ethernet cable, and I can't get speeds over 40Mbps

Anything I can try to fix this problem, other than everything else already out there (update fw, factory reset, enable/disable daisy chain+mimo etc). 

Thanks a lot.

Renan

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 15
DeanB1452
Apprentice

Re: RBS20 Satellite slow internet speeds, both on Wifi and Ethernet connected devices

According to the CBK43 support page, you are up-to-date on your router/modem and pushed the firmware on the satellite to the most recent.  On the support page for your system, it says the satellite should be on 2.6.1.38.  Try downgrading your satellite to that firmware and see what happens.  A factory reset might be needed if it still is slow after the updates.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 15
renanmarques
Tutor

Hi, thanks for the reply. I downgraded the RBS20 firmware to 2.6.1.38, and it didn't fix the problem. I did a factory reset on the RBS20, tested again, still haven't fixed the problem.

Anything else I could try?

Regards,

Renan

Message 3 of 15
renanmarques
Tutor

The issue seems to be with the wireless backhaul. I just connected the RBS20 satellite to the CBR40 router with an ethernet cable, then connected my laptop to the RBS20 satellite, and the speed test showed download speeds of 280Mbps.

Removed the ethernet backhaul cable, waited for the satellite to sync back to the CBR40 router through the wireless backhaul (on the 5Ghz frequency), tested again, download speed fell to 10Mbps...

Not sure if this is helpful evidence, but wanted to share anyway.

Message 4 of 15
Marjoriel
Aspirant

RBR40 with two satellites in a 3-story townhome with S-R-S config. I have a fiber 1GiG speed internet from AT&T doing a pass through from the gateway to the Orbi.

Now the satellites are giving me 200mbps/180mbps when it’s connected to my phone with WiFi. When I run the speed test on the ps5 I get around 100mbps/30mbps even though it’s connected to the satellite through an Ethernet.

Now my questions are, what are the speeds for the satellite intended to be? Isn’t the speed suppose to be faster when connected to the Ethernet port of the satellite compared to wifi?

MyCCPay

Message 5 of 15
renanmarques
Tutor

Starting to feel like I just wasted 400USD in this system... Anything else anyone can think of to try and solve this problem?

Message 6 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 15
renanmarques
Tutor

Seems to be the exact same issue.

Message 8 of 15
renanmarques
Tutor

I even considered purchasing a support plan, but I'm not paying 90 bucks for a 6 months plan, without the certainty that the problem will actually get fixed.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would reach out to a forum Moderator and ask them about this and pass on your information aswell. 

Message 10 of 15
renanmarques
Tutor

To add insult to injury, I decided to test an older Linksys Velop system that I bought a few years back:

1 - Connected the Linksys parent node to the Orbi CBR40 modem/router, and created a new wifi network for the Linksys router. Tested the speed of the Linksys network with a Thinkpad laptop connected to the parent node through ethernet. Got speeds of over 300Mbps

2 - Went into the basement and put the Linksys child node right beside the Orbi RBS20, just to make sure the test is fair. Set it up nicely, and connected it to the parent node via a wireless backhaul

3 - I connected my Thinkpad laptop to the child node through ethernet, ran a speed test, and what do you know, got download speeds of over 200Mbps

So, there is clearly an issue with the wireless backhaul between the CBR40 and the RBS20. I could use the Orbi CBR40 solely as a modem for my comcast HSD, and keep the Linksys Velop on for my wifi networking at home, but it feels like paying over 400USD for a modem, is just absurd.

I'd rather have the issue fixed so I can add other satellites in the future.

Message 11 of 15
renanmarques
Tutor

How do I find a Forum moderator?

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Please send @Blanca_O a message. 

Message 13 of 15

Having the exact same issue, tried everything as you did. I even bought a new satelite to see if it was the hardware, and that did not work either. 

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Does your problem relate to this? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/Slow-ethernet-and-wifi-satellite-spe...

If so, please reach out to the forum moderator.

@Blanca_O 

@DrKevorkian94 wrote:

Having the exact same issue, tried everything as you did. I even bought a new satelite to see if it was the hardware, and that did not work either. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7