Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS40 Satellite with CBK40 system?

boobie_doobie
Initiate

RBS40 Satellite with CBK40 system?

Posted this in main forum, but was suggested to post here as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have a an RBK40 mesh system (router + 1 satellite) currently, but need to upgrade my arris surfboard to a new modem that can handle 1 gig download. Considering buying the CBK40 modem/router + satellite if I can use the RBS40 from current setup as a satellite with the CBK40 to expand my mesh network to have 2 satellites instead of 1 (current setup covers most of the house fine except for one far bedroom). Will this work? Any drawbacks?

Alternative option I'm considering is just keeping the RBK40 setup and going with Nighthawk CM1200.

Xfinity is my ISP

Thanks in advance!
Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: RBS40 Satellite with CBK40 system?

Most isp's don't support the CBR40 for gigabit speeds. Most of them require a docsis 3.1 device for gigabit speeds. I'd check that first if you're wanting gigabit now or at some point.  

I'd go with either the CM1000, CM1100, CM2000.  I'd avoid the cm1200 unless that's all you can get. Reason why is many mistake the 4x ethernet ports on it for "usable" ports where only 1 device can connect to the cm1200 for most isp's. (a couple isps you can use all the ports but its rare)

Message 2 of 3
boobie_doobie
Initiate

Re: RBS40 Satellite with CBK40 system?

Very helpful @plemans, thanks for the advice, think I will pickup the CM1000

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements