Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS750 won't connect after firmware update

mondrin
Guide

RBS750 won't connect after firmware update

I have a CBR750 and RBS750 which I purchased as a set.  I got notified that the RBS750 had a firmware update.  I believe it was running 4.6.5.14 which was quite a bit older than the 4.6.11.1 which I found on netgears site.  I've updated the RBS750 previously (always have to use manual as the update page going through the computer never shows an update available).  The CBR750 is  running 4.6.5.8_2.0.54 (most current).  After doing the  manual firmware update on the RBS750, it was showing disconnected on the app and on the computer interface, although the RBS750 goes through the normal connecting motions and eventually gives the blue bar showing it should be connected.  I tried several reboots of both CBR and RBS with no luck.  I eventually turned off the RBS and removed it from system using the Remove button on the computer interface.  I've tried adding it back to the system (After a few reboots of the CBR) but it always immediately boots up and and "connects" to the system.  I found that if I directly wire into the RBS, I am getting internet through it so it is at least partially linked to the CBR.  The WIFI part is not connecting.  I tried factory resetting the RBS by using a paper clip and holding down the reset button for a long while but it doesn't seem to do anything and the RBS will just "connect" back once I stop.

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?  I'd flash an older firmware to the RBS but I don't know how to connect to it's interface since it's not showing on the CBR's page.

Thanks

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
mondrin
Guide

Re: RBS750 won't connect after firmware update

A bit of lucky searching found my problem.  Since I have a CBR750/RBS750 combo I should not be using the RBS750 firmware updates found on that page.  I need to use the CBK752 page and it's firmwares (Which were correct before).  After putting the correct RBS750 firmware for my set on the box, everything started working again.  Sorry to waste everyone's time.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 16

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@mondrin wrote:

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?  I'd flash an older firmware to the RBS but I don't know how to connect to it's interface since it's not showing on the CBR's page.

What happens when you use a network utility to scan the LAN IP subnet for active devices?

There are dozens of free networking utilities for different platforms (Windows, MacOS, Android... etc.)

For Windows: Angry IP Scanner, Lizard Systems Network Scanner, Slitherous Network Discovery, (Google for more)

For Android: Fing, Net Analyzer, HE Network Tools,

If the satellite is providing internet to attached devices, then it should appear on the network with an IP address.

Open a web browser to that IP address to access the satellite directly.

Message 2 of 16
mondrin
Guide

I used the IP scanner to locate and log into the RBS750.  It shows the desktop that is connected via ethernet but nothing to WIFI.  It does show the current 4.6.11.1 firmware.  I'm contemplating loading the older firmware that matches the CBR750.  There aren't any other settings to manage via the RBS750 page so I don't know what else to try.

Message 3 of 16
mondrin
Guide

A bit of lucky searching found my problem.  Since I have a CBR750/RBS750 combo I should not be using the RBS750 firmware updates found on that page.  I need to use the CBK752 page and it's firmwares (Which were correct before).  After putting the correct RBS750 firmware for my set on the box, everything started working again.  Sorry to waste everyone's time.

Message 4 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

Like our help paid off so well.  Geez.. Yet another wrinkle to remember about Orbi products: a part number is not always the part number.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 16
ScottSt
Guide

Spoiler
How were you able to revert to correct firmware?

I did the same thing, made the mistake of downloading a newer version of the RBS750 firmware and upgrading my satellite that is part of my CBK750.  I wish I had found this forum before doing the upgrade but that is all to common an occurrence; you don't know there is a problem until you experience the problem.

Now my status is, my RBS750 seems to connect to the network, however, I am unable to see it when viewing connected devices in my CBR750.  I would happily downgrade to the proper, supported, firmware version 4.6.5.14 if I only could find how to connect to the RBS750 to perform this firmware change.

Oddly, I can connect an Ethernet cable from my laptop directly to the RBS750 and I have full Internet access, but no way to actually get to the satellite web interface to perform the firmware downgrade.  There is also no IP address assignment I can find on the CBR750 which I could suspect is for the RBS750.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Message 7 of 16
mondrin
Guide

Use an ip scanner to get the ip of the satellite. I think I used angry ip scanner. Once you have that you can log into it and put the correct firmware on it.
Message 8 of 16
ScottSt
Guide

Please disregards my previous post. 

Shortly after posting I was able to track down the IP assignment for my RBS750.  I connected to the Web UI and was able to revert back to  firmware v4.6.5.14 and now it is once again showing as connected in the CBR750 web UI.  All is good.

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 16
ScottSt
Guide

Thank you! Great suggestion and done.
Message 11 of 16
JeanLucAsec
Tutor

Hello all,

I am having the same issue, ie I did a factory reset of my router (I also have the combo CBR750/RBS750), and after the new setup, the satellite does not appear anymore (App or web page). 

The satellite is still connected to Internet, as I am currently plugged in with a wire and have access to the web, but I don't see it anywhere.

You mentioned that I should use an IP tracker to find it, what should I do once I identify the IP exactly?

EDIT : I manage to find the correct IP, which led to the admin access of the satellite. For some reason it was at a more recent firmware than the one mentionned here : https://www.netgear.com/support/product/cbk752.aspx#download

I rolled back to the FM mentionned there, and now everything is back to normal 😄

Thanks a lot!!!

Message 12 of 16
ScottSt
Guide

I'm happy to hear you were also able to connect to your satellite and get it downgraded back to the supported FW release.  Too bad there is no sort of checksum made by the Netgear Firmware upgrades to determine if the configuration will support the upgraded FW release and prevent those of us on the CBK750 configuration from installing the unsupported FW.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 14 of 16
ScottSt
Guide

This is great FURRYe38, and extremely helpful.  Thank you!!

However, only for those who happen to find this blog page. 

I still think if Netgear is going to release different firmware versions, depending on the hardware configuration, they need to have it do a check of that configuration and flag if not supported or will cause problems.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Does make sense to have something on the CBR to check this. However may not stop someone from manually updating the RBS directly thru it's web page, though I presume something could be done here as well to check if the RBS is connected to a CBR. I'll pass this onto NG for review. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7