Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Renaming RBS20 satellite

sandkumar
Tutor

Renaming RBS20 satellite

I have a set up with CBR40 (Router with built-in cable modem) and two RBS20 satellites. I named the satellites during the initial setup. Upon accessing the setup through the Orbi App, it recommended upgrading the Firmware, which I did. Upon updating to the Firmware V2.2.1.210_1.0.8, it lost the names for the satellites and started calling both of them RBS20.

I have tried changing the satellite name both from the App as well as attached devices in admin web interface. The names that I want, revert to RBS20 in a minute or so. Not just that, if I update the name of satellite 1, the 2nd sateliiite starts disconnecting and connecting with regular frequency. The only way to resolve this cycling is to turn off the power on second satellite for some time.

Please help with the right way to rename the satellites or is it a problem with this firmware?

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried a factory reset on the RBS's and re-add them to see if the name change persists? 

@vkdelta 

Message 2 of 11
sandkumar
Tutor

Will give factory reset a try

Message 3 of 11
sandkumar
Tutor

Same behavior after factory reset and goiing theough the setup process again

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@sandkumar wrote:

Same behavior after factory reset and goiing theough the setup process again

Message 5 of 11
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

We will look into it. 

Message 6 of 11
unreliableOrbi
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue.  I have tried everything.  The Orbi system is a piece of crap and the support from Netgear is appalling.  I have never had so many issues with networking gear.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Other than renaming the RBS, the CBK has worked well for me. ZERO issues. 

Is the CBK40 working for you other than re-naming the satellite? Is it that important?

@unreliableOrbi wrote:

I'm having the same issue.  I have tried everything.  The Orbi system is a piece of crap and the support from Netgear is appalling.  I have never had so many issues with networking gear.

Message 8 of 11
unreliableOrbi
Aspirant

I agree, it's not important.  This is incredibly low on the priority list of the multiple issues I'm experiencing with my router and satellites, but this also illustrates how buggy the HW and SW are on the Orbi system.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with technical support yesterday and have not made any progress.  It's been a very tiring trial and error process where one customer service rep does not pass the information to the next. I'm constantly having to start everything all over again.  Yesterday they told me they are going to send me a new router, today is not a new router, it's a new satellite.  Tech support has no clue what they are doing.  Netgear should be paying customers for their time testing this, not the way around!!!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is the CBK40 working for you other than re-naming the satellite? Is it that important?

@unreliableOrbi wrote:

Message 9 of 11
sandkumar
Tutor

Other than renaming, it is working well for me. Renaming is not that important, but would like to know which device connects to whiich satellite for optimal placement and makinfg sure things are working as expected. 

Netgear should not allow renaming if it doesn't work. Would have saved 3-4 hours for me as well as other people who faced the same problem.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope the new RMA system works better than the current one. Seen various issues with the RBK systems. Most of these have been resolved with alittle troubleshooting and adjusting of the system. 

If your new system exhibits problems, please make a new post in this forum for your Orbi system and we'll help out out then:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Good Luck

@unreliableOrbi wrote:

I agree, it's not important.  This is incredibly low on the priority list of the multiple issues I'm experiencing with my router and satellites, but this also illustrates how buggy the HW and SW are on the Orbi system.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with technical support yesterday and have not made any progress.  It's been a very tiring trial and error process where one customer service rep does not pass the information to the next. I'm constantly having to start everything all over again.  Yesterday they told me they are going to send me a new router, today is not a new router, it's a new satellite.  Tech support has no clue what they are doing.  Netgear should be paying customers for their time testing this, not the way around!!!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@unreliableOrbi wrote:

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7