Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Returning my CBK40 System

dstranathan
Apprentice

Returning my CBK40 System

After 3 months of struggles, I am finanly giving up on my CBR40 modem/router (and CBK40 kit). I have had Spectrum technicians out so many times that they have told me they wont help me until I use their Arris OEM modem/router/AP kit.

For testing, I decided to give in and test their kit along side mine, and its a night and day difference. No drops, stutters, reboots. I tossed in the flag and will forego Orbi for Arris.

Spectrum was nice enough to offer me their wi-fi service for free (and Spectrum doesnt charg for modem rental).

The Arri is DOCSIS 3.1compliant I belive. So Its got that going for it too.

I hate the Arris web interface compared to the Orbi iOS app, but the Arris router has a lot more features too. My wi-fi signal to the far reaches of my house is weaker for tablets and phones (no satellites etc), but it is good enough.

Google Fiber is in my area now too. So its time to "reevalaute my life"

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You might get your own stand alone modem instead. Find out what BYOM is supported on there system.

See if any one of these is supported, if so, then you could get a Orbi router only kit:

https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5

Message 2 of 9
dstranathan
Apprentice

I considered it, but at this point if I plan to go mesh again, Ill likely try Eero next. Had Google Wi-fi and wasnt happy with it.

My Orbi experience has been horrible since the day I got it. Even registering it with Spectrum on day one was a trainwreck.

While the CBR40 is "supported" by Spectrum, its actually on their "Supported but not recomended" list. The Spectrum logo that appeard on the original retail box packaging early in 2018 (before it shipped) has been removed. Yes - the Spectrum logo is gone (my box arived vis UPS and I was suprised - and worried - that the logo has magically vanished on the finish product).

All of these things sugest to me that the CBR40 is not-ready-for-prime-time (or maybe Spectrum isnt too pleased with the specs/performance, and is treating as such etc).

No offense to NETGEAR (I have had nice routers and switchs in the past), but Im going to move on...

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Well the CBK40 differs from the Standard RBK systems. I presume you may have had a bad kit. Or something between your ISP and this CBK40. I've been enjoying my kit since day one, however I had Cable1 register it as a CM700 since at the time, C1 hadn't posted the CBK40 officially on there list of supported modems when the CM700 was.

I set up my friends RBK50 system a few months back. Loves it and working great for him:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

Good Luck.

Message 4 of 9
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Please PM me. 

Message 5 of 9
dstranathan
Apprentice

I was ready to sell it on eBay after 2+ months of inconsistent behavior. My ISP (Spectrum) gave me a new Arris OEM router and modem to get me back up and running while I reseached what to buy next. I tried Google and didnt like it. Considered Eero and Ubiquity but they didnt have all the features I wanted and they were pretty expensive.

I did more research and decided to to try Orbi again - but with a Spectrum modem.

I got a RBK50 kit (RB50 router and RS50 satellite).

To my surprise - the EXACT same problems started again. Then, after pouring over every step of my configurations and every inich of my cabling and topology, it hit me like a ton of bricks - The problem has been isolated to Ethernet backhaul.

So I returned the brand-new RBK50 kit to Micro Center (only had it for 2 days), and re-deployed the original CBK40 kit again from factory (and removed my eBay ad).

I'm back where I started - but now I know EXACTLY what the issue is!

Its really bizare behavior. It looked like a WAN issue, but sure enough, it is in fact caused when I plug in a satallite into Ethernet (reproduced with both a RBS20 and a RBS50). It took me a long time to figure this out. I feel dumb now, but the symptoms always look like it was on the WAN - not the LAN.

My home is brand new. Moved in December 2017. Brand new Cat5e in all rooms with home-runs back to my utility/storage room in my garage when my coxial is located (and my routers/modems/etc). I had a 3rd-party network technician tone-out the cables and they all reported OK. All other cables (patch cables etc) are brand new and I have replaced them all at least once during troubleshooting.

If I plug a computer or game console into the RJ45 plug where I typically plugged in my Orbi satlelites (master bedroom wall plug),  all the systems run fine (speed tests are great). But as soon as I plug in an Orbi Satallite into that same RJ45 wall plug for backhaul the whole system goes down.

Firmware is up to date. Done multiple factory resets etc.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

There any ethernet switches in between the CBR and satellites? If so, Mfr and model# please...

How is you first set up the satellites for wired back haul? You have to set one up at a time via wireless, then connect the lan cable and wait 5 minutes for the the top led on the satellite to turn on BLUE. Then set up a IP address reservation for the satellite.

I also use wired backhaul with my 1 satellite and have no problems with wired back haul. The only issue I see randomly is that when some other device comes online, either new or a reboot on the router, for some reason the DHCP server fails to assign IP addresses correctly and the satellite and some random device on the network conflicts with the same IP address. I have to turn OFF the satellite. Get the other device reconfigured for a IP address reservation. Then turn on the satellite after the IP address reservation is applied and the CBR fully reboots. For some reason this conflict causes a ARM storm on my LAN network and all my switches start blinking rapidly until I stop the conflict. Have never seen this before in any other router system I have.

Other than this, wired back haul is working here for me. I have 3 non managed switches in between the CBR and satellite.

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/products/18319-hp-j9794a/specifications/

and 2 of http://us.dlink.com/products/business-solutions/5-port-unmanaged-gigabit-switch/

Message 7 of 9
dstranathan
Apprentice

While I do have NETGEAR brand 8-port gigabit unmanaged switches in all my Ethernet-wired rooms, I am currently NOT using any switches at all. I havent needed them yet. They are powered-off. I may need them in the future if I add more game consoles, computers etc.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, just checking. Orbi systems don't like managed switches for some reason.

Whats the model of these switches?

Other than this, your CBK system should run well both wired and wireless back haul. Only other item would be a faulty satellite or modem/router unit. I don't think this is the case here...

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7