Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Roll Back a RBS750 Satellite that Doesn't Show Connected?

betona
Apprentice

Roll Back a RBS750 Satellite that Doesn't Show Connected?

Okay, I did it. I installed 4.6.8.2 on my RBS750 satellite after reading that it addressed some issues I've been seeing.  And that was the end of it officially connecting to my CBR750 Router.

I've tried to manually connect it, I've tried the factory reset on both and it fails to connect in the web interface and doesn't appear in that web interface.

Funny thing though, is the Satellite flashes white and then goes solid blue meaning it's connected and strong. And I've connected a non-wifi PC to the satellite via ethernet and it is actually working very well, meaning it's PC->ethernet->Satellite->wireless backhaul->router.

So it's there in function, but not there anywhere in the web interface. And I have no idea if anything's latching onto the satellite via wifi.

I know the IP address where the satellite was before and trying that now (wifi or ethernet) I just get a blank white page that has a few lines of source code; this is either through the router or directly to the satellite via ethernet.

I've searched and cannot find a way to rollback the firmware on a satellite that doesn't appear in the web interface. Is it possible? Or am I stuck waiting on whenever they update the CBR750 cable modem/router firmware and hoping it'll see it then?

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Roll Back a RBS750 Satellite that Doesn't Show Connected?

v.2 FW is not supported on the RBS750 that comes with CBR750. 

What FW version is loaded on the CBR currently? 

What happens if you connect the RBS to the back of the CBR using a LAN cable? 

Do not attempt to revert FW on the RBS...

What region are you located? 

Message 2 of 12
betona
Apprentice

Yeah, I know you're right which is why I said my mea culpa to start out. But Netgear could do a better job with their documentation or even better, making their releases with harmony for all common possibilities. I simply looked up my RBS750 and there was the newer version and its release notes addressed issues I've noticed. To Netgear, it's like, "this is for all RBS750s but not your RBS750..." only they don't tell you that.

The CBR750 is on the most recent firmware, 4.6.5.8

When I connect the CBR to the RBS with ethernet, the behavior is identical to wireless. The satellite flashes white and then goes solid blue, the web interface tells me I have no satellites at all. However, it's actually sort of working. And if I attempt to access the satellite by the IP address (one example http://192.168.1.16/fwUpdate.htm that was the popup in the firmware update), I only see a blank white page. That blank page has some HTML, so it's coming from somewhere, but there's nothing I can do.

And I'm located in the US.

Message 3 of 12
betona
Apprentice

Updated info: I just left the system running and now the satellite appears as connected, but only kinda sort of. In both app and web management, it shows the connected satellite with good backhaul. It doesn't show any of my devices connected to the satellite. But if you try the firmware update page, it does not list the satellite at all.

And interestingly enough, if you search today for the RBS750 satellite, it no longer shows the 4.6.8.2 firmware any more, only listing the older 4.6.5.14. Which tells me they've rolled back because of problems.

I don't know if I have a bricked satellite or not. I still am holding out hope that they release an updated firmware for the cable modem/router so that it can fully see the satellite.

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend that you install FW thats currently available for the CBK750 system. Please use this as your search when looking for FW updates for  the CBK750 system which will include FW versions for the RBS750 thats included with this system. 

The RBS750 is used with a RBK750 series system which FW has been graduated and is a bit different. So avoid looking at this system or the RBS750 by itself. The FW versions will differ from the CBK system. 

Message 5 of 12
betona
Apprentice

Well, yeah searching on the bundle model number is the safer way that I understand now. The manual says nothing about this and clearly points out the model numbers included. It also specifically says, "We recommend that you update your satellite’s firmware before you update the router’s firmware." It's very disingenuous for Netgear to release multiple versions of firmware on the exact same model numbers, but that is exactly where it was last month when I started this.

And as I also said, they've since rolled back that satellite firmware since that time, likely because of the incompatibility that I'm experiencing. You can no longer download 4.6.8.2 for the satellite because it's incompatible as I'm experiencing.

Where I stand until and unless they update the CBR750 cable modem firmware:

• The Satellite is listed, but not connected

• With it disconnected, I cannot do anything with the satellite's firmware: up, down, sideways Not by wire, not by wireless. It's a worthless brick that I cannot access.

I'll never buy netgear products ever again. I'm posting this mostly for anyone else who later finds themselves in this same debacle. Because we all know that the company won't read, much less solve this issue.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you access the RBS web page at all? 

Even if you ethernet connect it to the CBR? 

We don't assume what NG does or doesn't do. 

Message 7 of 12
betona
Apprentice

No, I've tried to connect to the RBS via wifi and ethernet; through the router and direct both and only got a white page.

And I am connected via ethernet to the RBS on this desktop PC.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try a different browser to see if you get something different? Be sure to clear out all web browser caches before trying to enter in to the RBS web page.

I'm hoping that if you can gain access to the RBS web page that you could get the RBS downgraded to what is listed on the CBK750 download page. 

Message 9 of 12
betona
Apprentice

Yes, tried different browsers and the app on iPad and iPhone. When you say access to the RBS web page, where is this? It's IP address? Right now there's no connected satellite so I have no idea what that IP is.

I called support and for a brief moment, it showed connected (naturally it would do that then).  He said more than once that since my satellite is dark (which it is) or shows the blue light for a bit (which it does), that means it's fully operational. He was adamant that it was working properly. He maintained that there'd be a color or flashing light if anything was wrong. I pointed out that nothing shows to be connected to it, meaning it's not doing anything. And now that I'm off the phone, it's disconnected again.

The rep did say that there was a problem with firmware and that they'd supplied patches to only some people. He said for me to wait until new versions and/or a patch comes out. He also said he'd send me a link to a page about this situation on their site, but nothing has come in my email. 

I've since found a few articles about similar issues I'm experiencing so I guess I'm not alone. And as I wrote earlier, I have to wait until they release the next firmware. ☹️

Message 10 of 12
betona
Apprentice

Update: The satellite magically appeared again so I quickly found its IP, logged in and seemingly was able to downgrade the firmware to 4.6.5.14. It said it completed the job, but kept flashing white and was a pain to get back connected.

A little more futzing with reboots and suddenly it's all back online with the old firmware and everything's appearing correctly plus I see devices latching on to the satellite.

Whew!

I'm going to sit back and watch for a while whenever they finally release the new firmware.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7