Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Samsung TV won't connect to ORBI 5ghz

spanishyankii
Follower

Samsung TV won't connect to ORBI 5ghz

Hi

My ORBI system won't connect my 2018 Samsung Smart TV to the 5ghz band, only to the 2.5ghz. Its frustrating because I've got 200+mghz download speed but my TV still has crap reception and is blurry much of the time. My modem is up one floor, but the extender is 15 feet from the TV. All other devices connect to the 5ghz band except the TV on this level. I had a Comcast modem and a Netgear Nighthawk router before and had better reception and clarity with my TV when it connected to the 5ghz band. However, getting tired of paying Comcast modem rental, I bought this system thinking I was going to be better off (I bought the Orbi Modem and extender system).  Unfortunately, I'm second guessing my purchase... How can I switch to the 5ghz band to regain my better reception without returning this system?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Samsung TV won't connect to ORBI 5ghz

the orbi router and satellite are sensitive to distance. They need a minimum of 30 ft between them. Make sure you've done that. 

Once, you've checked placement, try turning the samsung on to stream for a bit. The orbi itself dynamically switches between bands based on throughput. If doesn't work right if your distances are wrong though. 

A random throught would be if the extender is 15ft from the tv, why not move it by the tv and hardwire it in? I'll bet the orbi's backhaul is faster than the samsungs wifi. 

What firmware are you on?

What is your modem?

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Another thing to try if that doesn't work is have the samsung forget the network and manually reset it back up. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Please confirm that your using the CBK40 Orbi system.

Confirm with the TV mfr that your TV actually support 5Ghz wifi features. 

Update FW on your TV.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@spanishyankii wrote:

Hi

My ORBI system won't connect my 2018 Samsung Smart TV to the 5ghz band, only to the 2.5ghz. Its frustrating because I've got 200+mghz download speed but my TV still has crap reception and is blurry much of the time. My modem is up one floor, but the extender is 15 feet from the TV. All other devices connect to the 5ghz band except the TV on this level. I had a Comcast modem and a Netgear Nighthawk router before and had better reception and clarity with my TV when it connected to the 5ghz band. However, getting tired of paying Comcast modem rental, I bought this system thinking I was going to be better off (I bought the Orbi Modem and extender system).  Unfortunately, I'm second guessing my purchase... How can I switch to the 5ghz band to regain my better reception without returning this system?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7