Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Significant Drop in download speed cbr750

LJ3000
Guide

Significant Drop in download speed cbr750

CBR750 — Orbi WiFi 6 DOCSIS 3.1 Mesh WiFi Cable Modem Router

Firmware version V4.6.3.6
App version 2.11.0.11

In last two days, my Download speed dropped from between 1200-1400 to 500-600. Had this model since March 2021 and first time a download speed drop has persisted more than a few hours. Tried calling support and they provided basic advice and had me change a couple settings and said everything else looked okay and to give it 24 hours. The drop seems to have started happening right after I installed the last firmware update. I called ISP (xfinity) and they said everything is fine on their end and they are sending 1g speeds. I paid $1k for the modem router combo plus two satellites and netgear tech on the phone says I need to pay a subscription if I need advanced help. I am so disappointed. Has anyone else experienced a slow down after latest firmware update?
Message 1 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

How are you speed testing? Wired or wireless?

What devices are you using to speed test with?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Armor enabled? 

What CTS values are currently set? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 2 of 65
LJ3000
Guide

2700 sq ft, two satellites. Really everything has been amazing up until I installed latest firmware. The locations of my satellites haven’t changed and good distance apart. The satellites light up as expected, no yellow or pink lights. They are not blinking either. I am having an xfinity tech come out to check my cables inside and out to rule out ISP since it is a newer construction community.

I do the speed test on a computer hard wired into the main orbi and on my phone sitting a foot away from main unit. This didn’t happen before and never had to tweak my settings. Both ways as of right now give me less than 600. Before this issue, I could pull 1200+ MPs on my phone ANYWHERE in the house until a couple days ago so something is up. Will check those other settings and reply shortly. I am not hooked up for armor but I periodically check to make sure the devices connected to my network are good and I change my internet password every six months. I purchased the orbi products to not have to pay Comcast a monthly fee to rent equipment. If I start paying for armor and Netgear customer service I might as well pay xfinity since it only costs 15 bucks a month and they provide all that security stuff. When xfinity comes out today I am going to have them hook up one of their modems to check speed. This will tell me if it is my orbi is causing my issue. Again no problems since Install and have had it since March 2021. Hoping this is just an xfinity issue.

How many devices can I hook up to to this product? I currently have 32 devices. This has also not changed and if anything I had more hooked up last month with no issues.
Message 3 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you speed testing using the built in speed test app on the RBR or with a external speed test app on the PC and mobile device? 

I presume this is a FW issue that seems to stem on this v4 version of FW as we are seeing similar behavior on the RBK7 and 8 series which the CBR750 is based off of. 

Message 4 of 65
LJ3000
Guide

I use the Netgear orbi app on iPhone, and I use the built in speed test on orbi login.com and xfinityspeed test website on my hardwired computer. All consistently give me between 500 and 600 mbps for download speed. These tests used to give me between 1200 and 1400 which made me extremely happy with Netgear. Now I’m not getting the speed I pay for and I really don’t want to have to go back to renting from xfinity after spending so much money on orbi.

Also I have an update. An Xfinity tech just checked lines and all looked good for 1 gig speed. He hooked up one of their modem/router devices and we got 948mbps using xfinity speed test. So it is definitely my orbi with the issue. If this is a firmware thing I really hope Netgear gets this fixed because I’m getting so much crap from my spouse for going the expensive orbi route. 😞

I upped the CTS from 64 to 2347 but didn’t observe a change in speed.

2.4 ghz is set to 11
5ghz is set to 44

Would factor resetting my device possibly fix this issue?
Message 5 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Please open a support ticked with NG support and let them know what your experiencing. Can reference this forum thread as well.

Thank you. 

Message 6 of 65
atejwani
Apprentice

I am in the same situation!!! Prior to CBK 752 Firmware updates (CBR750 -V4.6.3.6, RBS750 -V4.6.3.7) was consistently getting 1.2gb - 1.4gb download speeds. Now it below 650mb. Nothing else, besides the firmware updates, has changed.

Netgear Team - Kindly review firmware and provide a fix!!!

Message 7 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Please open a support ticked with NG support and let them know what your experiencing. Can reference this forum thread as well.

Thank you. 

@atejwani wrote:

I am in the same situation!!! Prior to CBK 752 Firmware updates (CBR750 -V4.6.3.6, RBS750 -V4.6.3.7) was consistently getting 1.2gb - 1.4gb download speeds. Now it below 650mb. Nothing else, besides the firmware updates, has changed.

Netgear Team - Kindly review firmware and provide a fix!!!

Message 8 of 65
Cdhappz
Aspirant

I also have this se speed drop. Was regularly getting 1300-1400 down and now topping out at 600 after the update. I am testing speed at router login as the app is all but useless because it does nothing but crash. Ridiculous that I can not roll back to the previous firmware either. Please fix netgear!
Message 9 of 65
Tinslep
Star

I have the same issue with the same software V4.6.3.6. The software was downloaded by Xfinity on 8-13 and I saw my speeds drop from 900+ down to 600. This needs to be addressed by Netgear and Xfinity.

Message 10 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

@Cdhappz and @Tinslep 

Thank you.

Message 11 of 65
Tinslep
Star

I am currently on hold for Netgear support after submtting support ticket #44990902.

I don't have much faith that I can get through. I have been holding over 20 minutes. It is not giving me a approximate wait time but it was counting down from 6400!

I will hang in there for a while. Any other suggestions?

Message 12 of 65
Tinslep
Star

I did finally get through. They had me do a hardwire speed test on Speedtest.net which was better then what I was getting through the web interface or APP. He had me do a factory reset, which I did but then lost phone connection with him. All my phones are VOIP. Hopefully he call back or I will try back with the case number later.

Message 13 of 65
Tinslep
Star

OK, after talking to another Netgear support technician I did another hardwired speedtest.net test at 900+MBS which is where I was before software V4.6.3.6. They think it is a issue with the Orbi App, the web interface and the new software. He said he will escalate it to the Orbi team and get a new version of the firmware to fix it.

Hopefully someone from Netgear will respond to this thread.

Message 14 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, there seems to be a known problem with the Orbi app and onboard Speed test app that are both reporting inaccurate speeds while external speed test app on a wired PC should see to spec speeds. 

Message 15 of 65
LJ3000
Guide

I got a case number and a representative missed a callback with me. No matter if I’m hardwired or not, download speed doesn’t top 600 no matter what speed test app I use. After scrolling through other posts Sounds like the new fw version is causing all kinds of different problems with connectivity and speed. I tried downgrading to the previous fw version through admin login but once I got to the page to install, I only had a “no”option so I have up. At this point, my internet still works so I don’t want to make my orbi unstable. I really hope that NG fixes this. My speeds are lower and it just isn’t an app issue. My next step is to do a factory reset.
Message 16 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes with a factory reset. Please use a wired PC and a speed test app on the PC to speed test after the reset is done and the CBR is setup again. 

@LJ3000 wrote:
I got a case number and a representative missed a callback with me. No matter if I’m hardwired or not, download speed doesn’t top 600 no matter what speed test app I use. After scrolling through other posts Sounds like the new fw version is causing all kinds of different problems with connectivity and speed. I tried downgrading to the previous fw version through admin login but once I got to the page to install, I only had a “no”option so I have up. At this point, my internet still works so I don’t want to make my orbi unstable. I really hope that NG fixes this. My speeds are lower and it just isn’t an app issue. My next step is to do a factory reset.

Message 17 of 65
stjames70
Guide

Well, at least you were lucky to have had close to or above 1000Mbps -- my average is 600 Mbps probably because I updated the firmware as soon as I got the CBR 750 -- probably should have checked this thread before doing that. I called Xfinity, and they said that everything looked ok on their end. I was getting 980 Mbps on Xfinity's white Technicolor WiFi6 cable modem when wired. This is highly disappointing since I am paying for 1200Mbps service and getting half of that. 

Wait.... just tested by going to the speedtest.net site and got over 900 Mbps -- hmmm....maybe it is an app and web interface problem with Orbi.

I thought it was strange that I was getting over 600 Mbps on my iphone from the satellite connection while my wired to the CBR 750 connection was the same or slower than that. 

I am not sure what is going on, but I will test this again in the next few days and try to determine whether the ethernet connection or the speed calculations are wonky. 

Message 18 of 65
Tinslep
Star

I am still frustrated with this situation.Yes I can pull 900 + hardwired but I have a significant dropoff in speed on wireless that was not the case before the firmware update. I also see that my wireless devices are now ignoring the satellite and staying attahed to the CBR750. Only one or two devices connect to the satellite, the ones right next to it, while before this update I usually had 10+ devices connected. I am on Comcast and see that the Cox folks got a new version pushed to them. I hope Netgear is working with Comcast also for a quick resolution to these issues.

Message 19 of 65
Triggs21
Star

Same exact issue over here what the hell, making me instantly regret firmware update.

At least im not the only one...

Message 20 of 65
FURRYe38
Guru

@Triggs21 @Tinslep 

Factory reset the CBR modem and power it off, I would power OFF the CBR modem and RBS for 5 minutes by pulling the paper adapters from the wall outlets.  Power ON the CBR modem and let it sync. Walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

Speed test the wired connection first, then wireless. 

Do not speed test with the CBR built in speed test app or Orbi app. Use Ooklas installable speed test app on the PC or your wireless devices. 

Turn ON the RBS after testing the CBR. 

Message 21 of 65
Tinslep
Star

FURRYe38 Appreciate your info. This is pretty much what tech support had me do. I will try it again on a quiet day. 

This is way to much to ask a regular user to do. I have recomended this product to others who now have the same issues.

Netgear should allow a rollback or more ideally a update to Comcast to fix the issues.

This update should have been sent out to a beta group to test before rolling it out to everyone. 

Message 22 of 65
stjames70
Guide

well, there is hope. My hardwired speeds are back to normal, and wireless speed is great. Don't use Netgear web interface or mobile app to check speeds (inaccurate). Use Speedtest.net or the corresponding Speedtest app. It gives much better speed readings. 

Message 23 of 65
Triggs21
Star

St james, what did you do to fix this. I havent tried speed testing wired to the modem yet. Did try a factory reset to no change in speed. Havent powered off or unplugged router yet. If this issue has effected so many ppl with comcast yet isnt orbi addressing this with a fix to this last broken firmware...
Message 24 of 65
stjames70
Guide

I didn't do anything. 

Just like everyone I was very frustrated, called Xfinity (and let me tell you, they will do anything possible NOT to come and check your line), and finally I just sat back. I did get a call from Xfinity which said that they identified some issue with the internet, and that they had resolved it. 

I had 600 Mbps at first, but it went up to 950Mpbs-1000Mbps. I made sure my satellite had a good backhaul, and after that, most everything was just fine. 

I really think it is some issue with Xfinity's coax line. And as I said, if you use Netgear's tools to check your speed, they will be innacurate. Just use Speedtest.net or the app, and you will get better (and more accurate) speed readings. 

I only use the coax line for internet, so I found the splitter, and made sure that the line coming from outside only was connected to only ONE device, my cable modem. All the other connections to other rooms in my house were disconnected. Doing that did improve my signal by a factor of two according to Netgear's diagnostics (it went from an acceptable -8.0 dBmV to a low of -3.7 dBmV on some channels). The signal though, still fluctuates to unnaceptable levels some days above -8.0 dBmV, and I don't even get a signal from channels 31 and 32. 

Unfortunately, I cannot assure you that what I did made the difference, but I can tell you that the signal was weaker in my case before I stopped it from being split.

Message 25 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 64 replies
  • 27 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7