Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slow ethernet and wifi satellite speeds

kevincc
Guide

Slow ethernet and wifi satellite speeds

My devices that use an RBS20 satellite are very slow.  The speeds are roughly 30-50mbps. Doesn't matter if it is a wifi connection to the satellite or a wired ethernet connection to the satellite.  To test, I have a satellite 2 feet away from the modem/router.  If I turn off the satellite and connect to wifi on the modem/router, I get 200+mbps.  Why is the satellite so slow?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 30
kevincc
Guide

I'll try again since there is no way to get actual support from Netgear.  I have an RBS20 satellite about 1 foot away from my Orbi modem/router.  I have a laptop plugged into an ethernet port on the RBS20.  The download speed is 48Mbps.  If I connect directly to the modem/router, the download speed is 240Mbps.  Why is the wired connection to the RBS20 so slow?  Anything I can try to improve this?

Message 2 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What device are you using to test the speed with? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 3 of 30
kevincc
Guide

See below for my answers.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

- Firmware on my RBS20 satellite was 2.5.1.16 when I tested earlier.  I updated it to 2.6.1.38 and got the same result (50mbps).
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

- I'm using a Netgear CBR40 modem/router.

What device are you using to test the speed with? 

- A Dell laptop connected via ethernet cable to the RBS20 satellite.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

- Irrelevant.  My satellite is 1 foot from my modem.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

- 1 foot

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings
- Beamforming and MIMO are both enabled.

-

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

- Armor and Circle are disabled.

- Daisy chain is disabled.

- Fast Roamin is disabled.

- IPv6 is disabled.

- The only thing related to 20/40Mhz Coexistence is a setting for the 2.4Ghz wifi.  It says "Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence."  Are you saying I should disable this?  Not sure how it is relevant if it only applies to the 2.4Ghz wifi.  My issue is with a direct, wired ethernet connection to the RBS20 satellite, which it should be using 5Ghz for the backhaul, correct?

Message 4 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 1ft is way too close. 

Message 5 of 30
kevincc
Guide

I moved it to the same room as the modem to troubleshoot the issue.  The satellite is now 40 feet away and still only gets about 48Mbps.  I also tried the following.

1. Unplugged the satellite and from the same 40ft location, connected the laptop to the modem's wifi.  Speed was 180Mbps.

2. Connected a phone to the modem's wifi (same 40ft location).  Speed was 240Mbps.

3. Plugged the satellite back in.  Connected the same phone to the satellite wifi.  Speed is 48Mbps.

Message 6 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version is loaded on your CBR? 

Message 7 of 30
kevincc
Guide

Message 8 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll load up mine and see if I can check this out. 

Message 9 of 30
kevincc
Guide

Sounds good. Thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, after FINALLY getting my RBS20 to connect to the CBR40, Having my RBK50 online doesn't help so RBS kept getting confused. Smiley Frustrated

So seems to be a speed problem for sure with a wired PC connected behind the RBS20 thats connected to the CBR40:

MacBookProWired2RBS20Connected2CBR40.png

I did a wire test thru the CBR to be sure wired is ok:

900MpbsCBR40FauxAPmode.png

Connection rate is good and seems to be working:

CBR40ShowStats.png

TelnetStatusRBS20Connected2CBR40.png

CBR40 is in a faux AP mode since I don't have it connected to my ISP cable line. DHCP server disabled and the CBR40 LAN port connected to my RBK50 network. 

Beamforming, MIMO, FR and WMM are enabled on the CBR. Manual Channel 11 and 48 as my RBK50 is on 1 and 36. I even turned down the power output of the RBR50 to lesson the interference. 

I would make contact with NG support and open a support ticket. This needs to be looked at.

@Blanca_O 

Message 11 of 30
kevincc
Guide

Thanks for the follow up and for confirming the issue.  Looks like they only have paid support.  I'll try to give them a call.

Message 12 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a forum moderator as well...

Message 13 of 30
renanmarques
Tutor

Any luck with this case? I'm having the exact same issue.

Message 14 of 30
kevincc
Guide

Nope.  I gave up on Netgear.  Switched to TP-Link Deco and it is way better.

Message 15 of 30
renanmarques
Tutor

I have just resurfaced my old Linksys Velop, and it works like a charm. Will probably give up on Netgear as well, except I actually bought the Modem/Router combo, so, 400usd for a modem, to connect my Linksys Velop to... doesn't get any more frustrating than this.

Message 16 of 30
kevincc
Guide

Ha!  I'm in the same boat.  Still using the Orbi Modem/Router.  Very frustrating.

Message 17 of 30
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @kevincc and @renanmarques

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 18 of 30
RougeKat
Aspirant

Has this been resolved? I have the same issue and I've done EVERYTHING I can find on the forum with no luck.
Message 19 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support or the forum moderator about this:

@Blanca_O 

@RougeKat wrote:
Has this been resolved? I have the same issue and I've done EVERYTHING I can find on the forum with no luck.

Message 20 of 30
kevincc
Guide

Nope

Message 21 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Has anyone attempted to revert back to older FW on the CBR or RBS or both to see if the speed performance returns? 

Message 22 of 30
jt2oux
Tutor

This seems to be a very common product wide problem with these netgear Orbi satalites.  Netgear fails to resolve the issue after we've collectively spent thousands of dollars on this defective product line.  Anyone thinking class action law suit?   This should be seriously considered.  

Netgear refuses to take responsibitiy or priority in resolving this issue and refuses to refund a defective product.  Time to gather the collective and take legal action.  

Message 23 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, I was curious where the problem appeared. Seems to be on 2.2.1.210 as I reverted my CBR40 an RBS20 back to v210 today. Factory reset both CBR and RBS. Still same 50Mbps on the down with a wired PC connected to the back of the RBS20. 

I reverted back to v2.1.4.6 on the CBR40 and v2.1.4.16 on the RBS20. Powered OFF both units for 30 seconds then back ON. 

Look what the results were:

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 3.41.26 PM.png

Seems that something broke in FW after v2.1.4.x

@kevincc

@Blanca_O 

@ChristineT 

Message 24 of 30
buckleyphoto
Aspirant

Hi,

I also just ordered a used RBS20 satellight. Not that tech savy... Could you please list the steps I could take to roll back the firmware to get back those speeds?

@FURRYe38 

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7