Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Sporadic Ping Spikes over 5Ghz wifi.

Darian2498
Aspirant

Sporadic Ping Spikes over 5Ghz wifi.

I recently purchased this Orbi Modem/Router combo system so I could get more coverage in my house. It connects and reaches all areas fine now, except one issue. I like to play videogames, particularly Rainbow Six: Siege. Before, with the Modem and Router provided by my ISP (Spectrum), my ping and pakcet loss was fine. Now, with this Orbi, I have been experiencing major ping spikes. It will go from the normal of ~36 to 1000+. The game we "freeze" and then fix itself around 1.5 seconds after. I've tried factory reset, disabling and enabled portforwarding, updating firmware, pretty much everything, but the problem stil persists. Any ideas or soluions? Thanks.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Darian2498 , are you playing game via wired or wireless?

Ping values range between ~36 to 1000+ doesn't seem normal.

Message 2 of 16
Darian2498
Aspirant

The 5Ghz wireless channel, as the post says.

Message 3 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Do you see a similar spike when you ping the Satellite vs Router?

For examples:

1. telnet to Satellite and ping the Router

2. then ping google.com from Satellite

3. telnet to Router and ping the Satellite

4. then ping google.com from Router

This will give an idea if there's an issue with Orbi wireless backhaul.

Do you have similar problem when playing the game via wired connection?

Message 4 of 16
Darian2498
Aspirant

I factory reset and turned off the Daisy-chain mode (whatever it was called) at has seemed to resolve the problem. Opon doing so, the backhaul status also went from poor to good, so idk what was going on there. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 16
Darian2498
Aspirant

Update: Ping is still spiking to around 1200+ and then returning back to normal. I thought I had fixed it, but apparently. Still not sure what the issue is.

Message 6 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Darian2498 , can you head over here to check your backhaul signal?

Message 7 of 16
Darian2498
Aspirant

I'm connected to the main unit, not the satellite. Is it still necessary?

Message 8 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Darian2498 ,

Nope.

What are wireless settings on the main Orbi?

Message 9 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

While you are there, might want to check the Orbi logs and see what events were logged during the spike window.

Message 10 of 16
Darian2498
Aspirant

345.PNG424.PNG

Message 11 of 16
Darian2498
Aspirant

Nothing real shows in the logs. Mainly just shows DCHP " " to MAC address " "

However, did notice that for the satellite it now has a poor backhaul status, where earlier it was at good.

After doing some research, it might be my wifi adapter (Realtek 8812BU Wireless LAN 802.11ac USB NIC by Kootek)

I read somewhere to try and do this in cmd (netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Your Wi-Fi's name"

Doing so made it so my wifi adapter was unable to connect to the wifi at all, rather than just always searching for one. I reverted it back, but the spikes still continue. Idk.

Message 12 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

I can't see the pictures since that requires approval.  If the log contains DHCP IP request from the client, that could be a bad sign.

Message 13 of 16
Darian2498
Aspirant

I'm pretty sure it's just over the wifi too, because I did a ping test to google for over half and hour and it never spiked over 40. So it's just the 5ghz wifi (not sure about the 2.4)

Message 14 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

That's a very good data point to show that Orbi to Internet is good.

Since you have not seen anything suspicious in the logs, it could be the USB WiFi nic itself, which causes the hickup.  Maybe you can try isolating 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz by disabling radio broadcast on each band and test each band separately?  Also, if you have a spare WiFi card lying around, you can try similar experiment with that?

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@Darian2498 wrote:

I recently purchased this Orbi Modem/Router combo system so I could get more coverage in my house. It connects and reaches all areas fine now, except one issue. I like to play videogames, particularly Rainbow Six: Siege. Before, with the Modem and Router provided by my ISP (Spectrum), my ping and pakcet loss was fine. Now, with this Orbi, I have been experiencing major ping spikes. It will go from the normal of ~36 to 1000+. The game we "freeze" and then fix itself around 1.5 seconds after. I've tried factory reset, disabling and enabled portforwarding, updating firmware, pretty much everything, but the problem stil persists. Any ideas or soluions? Thanks.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7