Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Turn off SSID broadcast - CBR750/RBS750

Barry1m
Initiate

Turn off SSID broadcast - CBR750/RBS750

How do I turn off SSID broadcast on the CBR750/RBS750?  

There does not seem to be an entry on any of the (Basic or Advanced) wireless menus.

Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Barry1m wrote:

How do I turn off SSID broadcast on the CBR750/RBS750?  

There does not seem to be an entry on any of the (Basic or Advanced) wireless menus.

Can you share the reason for wanting to turn off SSID broadcast?

Message 2 of 10
Barry1m
Initiate

I like to have a 'hidden' network for security.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Barry1m wrote:

I like to have a 'hidden' network for security.

Looks like Orbi may not be what you need.  Although, if a serious hacker wanted to bother you, it appears that not broadcasting SSID is a trivial problem:

https://ethicalhackingblog.com/uncovering-hidden-ssids/ 

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, Hidden networks are still easily found. Any wifi scanner can see them. Been like that for years. 

Something thats not supported on Orbi AX systems. 

Message 5 of 10
Speed_54
Initiate

What a BS answer! Let the customer decide if they want to hide it or not.. what concern is it to you if you believe it’s really secure or not. Security by obscurity still works as first line of defense!
Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Regardless of broadcasting or hidding SSID wifi, wifi can still be detected and found even when Hidden. So that kinda blows security 101 out of the watter in it self. Some scanners are able to detect anything. Reason why there called that. Orbi has never given more than 2 DNS confiigurations. I know of other router mfr what have never given more than two. Especially for home users. Orbi and Router models or mostly home class products. Never have needed more than two. You might find 3 DNS options for business class products which may need that configuration and designed for the business class environment.

So if orbi isn't to your liking then please go find something that is. 

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 10
Ragar99
Luminary

@Speed_54 wrote:
What a BS answer! Let the customer decide if they want to hide it or not.. what concern is it to you if you believe it’s really secure or not. Security by obscurity still works as first line of defense!

Protip:  Research product features BEFORE you buy!

Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Ragar99 wrote:

Protip:  Research product features BEFORE you buy!

Good advice, but better advice is to purchase with a generous return policy. The original Orbi product has allowed disabling SSID since 2016 ( and still does in v2.7.3.22).  One might infer that newer Orbi models wold inherit the same code base.  I was totally surprised that Netgear dropped telnet access in this new version.  I am not looking forward to the search for my next WiFi system. Thankfully, it will be at least 2-3 years before I own any device that suports WiFi 6 or 6E.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Hidden SSID was never inlcuded in Orbi AX systems. I asked about it. Crickets back then. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7