Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to connect Orbi to Fiber Optic via pass through issue/CBK40

Liverpoolfan
Aspirant

Unable to connect Orbi to Fiber Optic via pass through issue/CBK40

Hello,
we recently upgraded to faster speeds with ATT fiber optic, and I would like to continue using my Orbi System. I contacted att and they enabled the pass through, and it shows on att that the netgear device is connected. However, I try to connect the Orbi via the app and it’s not connecting. It says in the setup to connect coaxial cable. Can this specific model not connect via Ethernet? The downstream lights up but the upstream and online led do not. Im not able to connect. Any help would be appreciated!

-Alberto
Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

First off Coax has nothing to do with orbi. Are you sure you are not mistakenly accessing the router. Are you using the app or WEB GUI at orbilogon.com.

Message 2 of 7
Liverpoolfan
Aspirant

Hey thanks for replying! I’m doing the setup via the Orbi App. I’m connecting the modem for sure since it’s taking the QR code I don’t think the setup would access the router? I mentioned coax since it’s one of the steps.
Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Liverpoolfan wrote:
Hello,
we recently upgraded to faster speeds with ATT fiber optic, and I would like to continue using my Orbi System. I contacted att and they enabled the pass through, and it shows on att that the netgear device is connected. However, I try to connect the Orbi via the app and it’s not connecting. It says in the setup to connect coaxial cable. Can this specific model not connect via Ethernet? The downstream lights up but the upstream and online led do not. Im not able to connect. Any help would be appreciated!

The Orbi CBR40 is the only Orbi which includes a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem as part of the device.  One of the system requirements on Page 12 is "Cable internet service."  The setup instructions on page 12 of the user manual show connecting a coax cable to the connector on the back of the Orbi.  There are also LED's on the front showing "upstream" and "downstream" status, which other Orbi units do not have.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/CBK40/CBK40_All_MSOs_UM_EN.pdf 

My brief scan of the user manual did not turn up any mention of connecting the CBR40 to anything besides a cable system.

I also notice that all four of the ethernet connectors on the back are "white" (no "yellow" WAN port).

There is a community forum specifically for this model.  If the question is posted in that forum, perhaps someone has figured out how to use this model when not connected to a cable system?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

As @CrimpOn posted, Orbi CBK40 is for cable ISP services and will not work on Fiber Optic ISP services. 

@Liverpoolfan wrote:
Hello,

-Alberto

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Within the past couple of days, I have come to realize that Netgear product that include a modem, such as the CBR40 and the LBR20, are locked into their "modem mode".  The CBR40 apparently cannot disable the modem function and connect to a different modem.  The LBR20 has to always be ready to switch over to LTE mode and cannot be set to AP mode.  (Neither can the CBR40.)

"Buyer Beware" would be good advice, but who would imagine that these products would have such restrictions?

Message 6 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

Yea those models are strictly for replacing the ISP supplied Cable modem/router, whether modem and router separately or combo. Around here that would be Spectrum and WOW. The buyer would still have to verify if th modem is compatible with the service, before purchase, as each ISP has specific modems that will work. For nstance WOW will only accept certain DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 modems or modem/routers. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7