Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: We Squeezed a Cable Modem under-the-hood of the new Cable Modem Orbi WiFi System!

Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We Squeezed a Cable Modem under-the-hood of the new Cable Modem Orbi WiFi System!

large-2018_03 Orbi Cable TV.pngSay goodbye to equipment rental fees and hello to ultra-fast WiFi coverage for your whole home! Orbi Whole Home WiFi with Built-in Cable Modem is the industry’s first Cable Modem Router WiFi System. Working with major Internet Service Providers, you can now replace your existing cable modem and router for coverage in hard-to-reach areas of your home.

Stay up to date with automatic Orbi software updates for new router features and WiFi improvements. With DOCSIS 3.0 and FastLane3 Technology, experience maximum performance and smooth, uninterrupted connections. Additional advanced Orbi features include single network name, Circle with Disney smart parental controls, voice controls, and more.

To learn more about Orbi Whole Home WiFi System with Built-in Cable Modem, please visit: http://www.netgear.com/orbi/cbk40.aspx

KB Articles:

What is the CBK40 Orbi Whole Home WiFi System?

What ISPs are compatible with my Orbi Cable WiFi System?

How is the CBR40 Orbi Cable Router different from other Orbi routers?

What are the hardware features of my CBK40 Orbi Cable Router and Satellite?

How do I set up my CBK40 Orbi Cable Router and Satellite?

Message 1 of 12

Re: We Squeezed a Cable Modem under-the-hood of the new Cable Modem Orbi WiFi System!

I'm so proud of Netgear for taking the king market in Cable Modem. This NEW Cable Modem gives a big shocks to ISP modems. 

But the only I'm very dispointed is that Netgear is not supporting Voice line. I have digital Voice line but after hearing news New Orbi Cable Modem supports only router and not voice. 

I hope very soon Netgear come out with an another model that supports Voice line. 

Message 2 of 12
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

Lack of DOCSIS 3.1 means built-in obsolescence.

Message 3 of 12
Dz0n3
Initiate

I heavily invested in your Orbi wifi system and am very interested in purchasing the new CBR40 cable modem. I currently have the RKB50 system with a satellite connected to it as well. Would this system be compatible with the new CRB40? Thanks. And also are there any future products similar that will support cable modem/voice? 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 12
brh
Master
Master

I just purchased the RBK40 system with 2 satellites and a CM600 Modem. If I purchase this new product what happens to the router in my RBK system? Can it be used as another satellite? I realize that the CM600 modem will no longer be needed. Will the new combo be better than what I already have?

Brian

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 5 of 12
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@brh wrote:

I just purchased the RBK40 system with 2 satellites and a CM600 Modem. If I purchase this new product what happens to the router in my RBK system? Can it be used as another satellite? I realize that the CM600 modem will no longer be needed. Will the new combo be better than what I already have?

Brian

Since no one more authoritative has replied, I’ll chime in.

Replacing one DOCSIS 3.0 modem with another won’t be an upgrade. My ISP, Comcast, emailed me saying “We see you’re still using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. You should upgrade to 3.1.” So I did. Comcast is actually providing 3.1 now.

Unless you’re seriously short on space or electrical outlets, I see no advantage to a combined modem/router. Keeping them separate provides more flexibility when you need to upgrade. If you buy the combo unit, you’ll need to put your existing Orbi router into Access Point mode. It will not work as a satellite.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 12
brh
Master
Master

@RocketSquirrel

Thanks for your answer. I am with Spectrum and last month I upgraded to their 400mbs/sec plan. I then purchased the Orbi RBK system and added another satellite. I wasn't sure if the Arris modem they rented me was good or not but on their website the Netgear CM600 was what they said would work with this speed. Turns out the Netgear router does not seem to be any better than the Arris, but now I no longer need to rent a modem from them. I am just trying to eek out as much speed as i can for what I am paying for and I just saw this today and was curious about it.

Thanks again for your reply.

Brian

Message 7 of 12
reneauds
Aspirant

that was my question also

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Obolsesence will be based on ISP support of DOCSIS 3.0 and it's obsolesence with ISPs. You'll need to ask your ISP how long they are going to be supporting 3.0 and migrating to 3.1. ISP will not be just turning ON 3.1 and turning OFF 3.0. IT will be a slow process.

However, this does bring up the obsolesence of the CBK40 and why can't NG support the CBK40 system changing to router only model at somepoint when the internal cable modem doesn't work any more with ISPs or due to HW failure, leaving the router and wireless MESH system behind. It would make more sense of users could continue to use the router and wireless portion of the CBK40 system then to have a sytem become inoperational after the cable modem fails or is no longer supported with a ISP. These models only support gatway or bridge mode. Meaning that out of the box, the system has to be set up with a cable ISP service, modem activated to use the system. The bridge mode feature, when used, disables the router and wireless portion of the CBK system, leaving the cable modem portion operational. This makes for a expensive cable modem only system. Nothing else works in bridge mode for a long lasting ISP product solution. I presume that NG is only following current cable modem/router combo design implementations, however, it seems that the router and wifi system on the CBK40 could have some future ability to be used even if the cable modem become out dated or fails.

I would like NG to really take a good look at this.

@Dustin_V

Message 9 of 12
Pgwils
Aspirant

Why does it take one to two months delivery of the orlo cable moden from amazon?  Where can you buy the cable modem?

Message 10 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

This is a NG Orbi CBK40 Cable modem forum. 

@Pgwils wrote:

Why does it take one to two months delivery of the orlo cable moden from amazon?  Where can you buy the cable modem?

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

REMINDER:

The CBK40 is a cable modem/router sytem thus it requires being connected to a Cable ISP service. It does not work on Fiber Optic or DSL ISP service systems. Users looking to by a Orbi CBK40 are recommended to contact there ISP serivce and ask them if they support the CBK40 or the CM700 on there ISP service. If they don't and you still want to use a Orbi system, look for a Orbi RBK40 or RBK50 or RBK53. These models do not have a built in modem.

Good Luck.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7