Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: We have a device sucking up more than half our bandwidth. Solutions? Orbi RBR50 mesh

jaspolar
Tutor

We have a device sucking up more than half our bandwidth. Solutions? Orbi RBR50 mesh

Hi all,

We had been having issues at my house with slow network speeds. The Orbi was saying 443mb/s, but we were seeing fractions of that. After investigation with a hardline and device by device connection, we found that a security camera a roommate put in his room was sucking up all the bandwidth. If this device is connected, hardwire connections drop down to 100-140mb/s, and wifi drops down to 20mb/s.

What options are available to us in segregating this device? There's 5 users in the house, so to have 1 device consuming 75% of the bandwidth is flat unacceptable for the rest of us, and we need to find a solution that permits the rest of us to have bandwidth, but his security camera still function. He's mega paranoid after an assistant to the pool cleaner was caught robbing the house. Right now the guest network is off. Can we enable the guest network and limit that device? Is there VLAN tagging that can be done for that IP camera? RBR50 Router with 2 satellites. Any help would be great.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: We have a device sucking up more than half our bandwidth. Solutions? Orbi RBR50 mesh

Please post about this over in the Orbi AC forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the RBR is connected too. 

There is Traffic Meter however it only tracks the over all usage of the entire system and bandwidth. Not per device. 

Only other item I might suggest would be a firelwall appliance device infront of the RBR and then set the Orbi system to AP mode. Use the firewall appliace to help regulate the bandwidth. Not sure which firewall appicance that would have these features. There are many. 

You might ask this user to see if he might have any recommendations:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Outbound-traffic-to-Amazon-space/m-p/1865945?search-action-id=...

Message 2 of 4
jaspolar
Tutor

Well, our Orbi RBR50 is the modem. The cable internet connects directly to our device. I have Fortigate firewalls that I got free from work. I coooooould probably get that configured to limit bandwidth. I may need help from my coworkers to figure that out. I don't see a problem attempting to segregate 50mbs if that's a feasible solution. Would definitely take some work, quite frankly.

Would love alternate solutions. I'll reach out to that user.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@jaspolar wrote:

we found that a security camera a roommate put in his room was sucking up all the bandwidth. If this device is connected, hardwire connections drop down to 100-140mb/s, and wifi drops down to 20mb/s.

It would be helpful to know the brand and model of camera. Camera bandwidth is a function of resolution and frame rate.  Typical WiFi cameras consume under 1MB/sec.  I have one hard wired 12MB camera that has two settings:

• Clear (High), which is 4,096x2,784 pixels at 20fps and has a maximum bandwidth of 10MB/sec
  • Fluent (Low) which is 896x672 pixels at 10fps and consumer 768KB/sec

Typical security cameras do not stream constantly.

There may be something else affecting bandwidth.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7