Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What do I need for whole home wifi with CBR40

mhowell
Tutor

What do I need for whole home wifi with CBR40

I purchased a used CBR40 and it is not doing the job. What setup do I need to cover my house? I have over 3500 sq feet. However I may want to cover the basement as well. So 5000 sq feet to be safe.
I only have a cbr40 in my office on the first floor.
Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: What do I need for whole home wifi with CBR40

RBS20s Depending upon the size of your home and building materials, 1 RBS may cover what you need. I have a 5000sq ft home and when I had my CBR40 online with 1 RBS, it was well enough to cover the home with wifi including some outside. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

how many satellites do you currently have? 

What materials is your interior walls made of? certain materials block signals better and you'd need more devices for coverage. 

I've got a 3200 sq ft house that I cover with a router and 2 satellites.  One per floor. its a little overkill but I use it as an example. I also have an outdoor satellite to cover my backyard. 

I'd probably shoot for the cbr40 and at least 2 satellites. make sure they're spread far enough apart. to close together can cause as much issues as to far apart. If 2 doesn't cover it, you can always add another. 

Message 2 of 7
mhowell
Tutor

I only have a CBR40. I do not have any satellites. What satellites do I need?
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS20s Depending upon the size of your home and building materials, 1 RBS may cover what you need. I have a 5000sq ft home and when I had my CBR40 online with 1 RBS, it was well enough to cover the home with wifi including some outside. 

Message 4 of 7
plemans
Guru

any of the satellites work. The rbs20's are cheaper but only have 2 ethernet ports. 

But any of them are compatible.

the RBS50's are the best but your cbr40 only has the 866mbps backhaul. The rbs50's support up to 1733mbps like the rbr50 does. 

Message 5 of 7
mhowell
Tutor

I'm willing to buy another modem and router if necessary for better performance. What do you recommend if I start over from scratch ?
Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

i wouldn't say you'd need to start from scratch. I'd follow what @FURRYe38 recommended and add a single satellite. If it doesn't cover the whole area, you can always add in more. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7