Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wifi Dropping From Connected Devices - CBR40 & RBS20

holmeyjoe1017
Aspirant

Wifi Dropping From Connected Devices - CBR40 & RBS20

Hello All!

HELP!!!

So - I recently purchased the CBR40 / RBS20 combo pack form bestbuy to replace my cable modem and provide better wifi coverage throughout my 1890's farmhouse.  The modem / router combo from xfinity was doing ok, and covering the house - but once and a while we would have buffering issues in the far reaches of the upstairs (although I would welcome that level of issues back now with open arms)!!

I placed the cbr40 downstairs on an internal wall in hopes that would give the best coverage.  The satelite is upstairs and about 1 room seperated through the cieling ...light is blue, signal seems strong.  Coverage of the house is great - speeds are fantastic, and I think all is running about as well as can be expected.

The issue is as follows: with both tv's, when I stream content, it appears the TV's drop the wifi connection for a split second, and have to reconnect.  This causes the stream to stop completely load for a bit and then resume, only to have it stop about a minute or so later (super frustrating).  I was hoping through the logs I could determine what is going on - but hoping someone smarter than I could help. *Note* the TV that struggles the most is in the SAME room as the modem/router combo, and the other is one room from the satelite.

It almost feels as if the tv is not able to determine what connection to use (upstairs or downstairs), likely because the signal may be overlapping quite a bit (house is about 1800 sq. ft.). Seems like it is dropping picking a new signal and ruining my viewing experience in between!

I followed this guide: https://windsorwebdeveloper.com/making-netgear-orbi-great-again/ as it sounded like that was really close to what I was experiencing, but the telnet commands return "config not found" after I have logged in successfuly.  All other steps were followed!

Additonally, and maybe this is just me thinking this way, why do I need to make all these alternate configurations, is the router not supposed to switch between devices, etc.. isn't that sort of why all of us pay the premium for the orbi... to work, and seamlessly?  I am a firm believer in things just working, and it's really giving me bad vibes, but I am hoping with the help of the minds on this forum I can find some solutions.

I almost want to reset everything and start again... thoughts?

Thanks in advance folks!  Happy to provide anything you need to help me!

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
holmeyjoe1017
Aspirant

Just In Case: 

Firmware Version: V2.3.5.12_1.0.8 

CM Firmware Version: V1.01.06

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 3 of 5
holmeyjoe1017
Aspirant

Hello Sir!

The router is located about one room over, and one floor above - as the crow flies about 30 feet or so.

I just ran a check and 7 was unsued in my area for 2.4Ghz so I went ahead and started using that.  This is a single family home in a residential neighborhood, so no apartment building issues should be relevant. 

I will try the other suggestions , but I have been troubleshooting this now for a week (including returning the unit and exchanging the set for a new one (at the direction of NG support), and have tried some variation of most of those settings.

What a frustrating experience, I really wish there was more clear direction in how to resolve this.

Wondering if I should use my normal cable modem (in bypass mode) instead of the combo modem router unit, and just get a router and satelite.  Really dissapointed overall in the issues.

Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

The issue is a wifi issue and the cable modem would not be a factor. If you connected a modem only and got a Orbi stand alone router system, you may see same issues on the Orbi system as well in regards to the wifi. 

If you have tried two different CBK systems and both exhibit the same issue, this is something with the wifi envrionmennt. 

Though 7 may not be used, it's a sub channel used by the wifi system and not a primary channel that you should select. Channels 1, 6 and 11 are primary channels. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Another troubleshooting step would be to lower the power on the wifi radios from 100% to 75 or 50%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7