Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Will orbi work with all in one modem/router

hdelgado8487
Aspirant

Will orbi work with all in one modem/router

I have a Netgear router/modem AC1900 all in one. Will Orbi work just as well? Looking at the AC2200 tri-band.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System, RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

If your looking at the CBK40 system, this is a cable modem/router MESH system, this would replace your NetGear router/modem.

Message 2 of 10
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

you can Convert AC1900 to Bridge mode and then just a regular RBK50 Orbi instead of 2-in-1 CBK40. 

It will cost you less and better performance. 

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@hdelgado8487 wrote:

I have a Netgear router/modem AC1900 all in one. Will Orbi work just as well? Looking at the AC2200 tri-band.

Message 4 of 10
hdelgado8487
Aspirant

Made it work. Made the modem/router into just a modem. But now I have an issue we’re i don’t see my hardwire devices. When I plug a hardwire it doesn’t see because the IP address is locked to the modem/router. Can I reset the modem/router so that It can release the IP address on the devices? And then make the modem/router in to just a modem once again.
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If you bridge the modem/router, then the IP address from the ISP will pass thru to the Orbi. Connect the Orbi system to the modem and then connect all other devices to the Orbi system. The Orbi becomes your main host router and wifi source. 

@hdelgado8487 wrote:
Made it work. Made the modem/router into just a modem. But now I have an issue we’re i don’t see my hardwire devices. When I plug a hardwire it doesn’t see because the IP address is locked to the modem/router. Can I reset the modem/router so that It can release the IP address on the devices? And then make the modem/router in to just a modem once again.

Message 6 of 10
hdelgado8487
Aspirant

I didn’t bridge the modem/router combo. I did turned of all the WiFi signals on it. So the modem/router is acting as a modem only. I am using the ports on the combo, is that why I can’t see them? I also have a switch from the combo which I can’t see those hardwire connections. All I have to do is use the orbi ports only? Is there a way I can still keep the ports on the combo and see them hardwire on my network?
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So disabling wifi on the modem/combo unit doesn't do anything. The router portion on the modem is still active. The modem needs to be fully bridged. Then the Orbi can work as a router with the modem. If the modem can't be fully bridged, then configure the Orbi system for AP mode. 

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 8 of 10
hdelgado8487
Aspirant

It would seem as my combo can’t be bridged. I have no tab on the advanced tab for bridging. Since you said it isn’t recommended for to do that kind of set up I rather not mess with it. Thank you for the help
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Look at the user manual for the NG modem combo unit. Most modem combo units have a bridge feature that will enable modem only mode. It will be located under the Advanced Settings section. Mines under NAT mode. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7