Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi CBR40 with at&t gateway

orbi CBR40 with at&t gateway

I am trying to connect my orbi CBR40 router/modem to AT&T gateway modem. I want to use CBR 40 as a router as I have 2 satellites that can extend the wifi signals throughout the house. I used this for few months with xfinity with no trouble by connecting xfinity coaxial cable to the router/modem. With At&t, I tried connecting the gateway modem to orbi through an ethernet cable. I know I am doing something wrong but not sure what I am doing wrong. Can you please help me fix this issue.

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: orbi CBR40 with at&t gateway

You might be able to follow the guide to make it work as a simple access point. It might work. the guide is written for a c6300 but might work with the CBR40. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Can-I-use-a-C6300-cable-modem-without-cable-in...

otherwise you'd want to buy a standard orbi router to control it and not the modem/router combo device. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The problem you're running into is att doesn't use a coaxial modem. 

And the CBR40 doesn't have a router only mode. It does have a modem only mode (which doesn't help you).

Message 2 of 9

So, I cannot use this at all in any way with At&t?
Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

You might be able to follow the guide to make it work as a simple access point. It might work. the guide is written for a c6300 but might work with the CBR40. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/Can-I-use-a-C6300-cable-modem-without-cable-in...

otherwise you'd want to buy a standard orbi router to control it and not the modem/router combo device. 

Message 4 of 9

Thank you. I will try that today.
Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, did this work for you? 

@sudheerchinta wrote:
Thank you. I will try that today.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I can confirm that the CBR40 can be used as a wired AP if you disable DHCP and set up a new IP address for the CBR40. Then connect the CBR40 to a up stream router using any LAN port in back. Although if one uses this configuration on the CBR40, the top ring LED will always be on PINK and the front led modem downlink will always blink. One can put a post it note over the front of the LED to make it dim. 

Message 7 of 9

Yes, it worked like a charm. 

Message 8 of 9
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it worked for you and you were able to keep using the system without having to invest extra $

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7