Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

router faster than modem combo?

radtech48
Aspirant

router faster than modem combo?

I just installed the Orbi CBR40 modem/router combo with 2 satellites. fairly easy to install, but upon doing a speed test, I'm only getting around 215mbps. Before installing this, I had purchased an installed just the router with a satellite, while using a spectrum modem. I was getting around 480mbps when using the orbi speed test on my phone app. Anyone know why this is and what I can do to increase my speeds? To be frank, I wasn't unhappy with Spectrum's equipment, but somehow was  under the impression that I was paying for their equipment. I found out today when I called to activate the new modem, that I was not paying extra for it. In any case, I thought maybe I could get better speeds with the Orbi product and I think I am. I can't remember what speeds I was getting with Spectrum, but it was nowhere near 400mbps.

This Orbi states that I could get up to 2.2gbs. I'm hoping to get gb service here soon and am worried that this won't cut the mustard. I have 90days to return to costco, so there's that good news. TIA.

Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: router faster than modem combo?

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What are the speeds if you use a wired PC and Ooklaas Speed Test app? 

Ensure the ISP has checked the signal and line quality up to the modem/router. 

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in between the ISP service box and the modem.

Ensure your using good quality RG-6 Coax cabling. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7