Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 1.11.0.20 Firmware Problems w/ Satellites

ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

I see what you're saying.  I don't believe Orbi functions that way, it's not a traditional repeater in that sense, in that it leverages the backhaul to "repeat" versus the same connection to the router.

Okay, gotcha. I'll watch this thread, but I'm just about ready to move on and look for another wifi. None looks as good, on the surface anyway, as Orbi. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 51 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I agree with you.  I had an Asus 88, 87, 68, and 66 prior to the Orbi, and up until 1.11.0.20 it blew the pants off the Asus, but with 1.11.0.20, that all changed.

Message 52 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

And, I only had the previous firmware for two days. 

Looks like Netgear is updating (or trying to update) their community forums.

Message 53 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

I did a little research. I believe  you're correct. Orbi router and sats only communicatio with each other is via the 5MGhz backhaul. SmallNetBuilder.com says:

Orbi's architecture is more like a conventional router + wireless extender with one key difference. Orbi uses a dedicated 4x4 MU-MIMO radio to connect separate AC1200 class simultaneous dual-band radios in both Router and Satellite."Mesh" systems like eero, Luma and Ubiquiti Networks' Amplifi don't have dedicated backhaul radios. They use their AC1200 class radios for both backhaul and client device connection.

link: small net builder orbi review

Message 54 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Terrifyingly, I dropped back to 1.10.1.2 and Attached Devices and Firmware update on the router STILL !?!?!?!? show Number of Satellites: 0, but BOTH satellites are connected to backhaul and have devices on them.

How could firmware permanently disable the ability to see the sats from the router's interface?????

Message 55 of 77
cmschleich
Guide

Who knows, this is why programming requires peer review, code can't just be changed at will and work the same. This is what that looks like. If I consider my outcomes, I seem to be stuck where I shouldn't be changing my SSID from default. The satellites won't pick it up, and worse they broadcast their default which screws up my ability to connect, start the reboot cycle, repeat. Slop.

Message 56 of 77
cmschleich
Guide

I see the exact issue you are talking about, fighting it now. Satellites claim their connected, router doesn't see them. This comes after my upteenth round of reboot/hard-resets of devices all around. I should have never taken on a networking task as advanced as changing the SSID and DHCP IP range of a home Wifi network...

Message 57 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

Terrifyingly, I dropped back to 1.10.1.2 and Attached Devices and Firmware update on the router STILL !?!?!?!? show Number of Satellites: 0, but BOTH satellites are connected to backhaul and have devices on them.

How could firmware permanently disable the ability to see the sats from the router's interface?????

Wow. I just don't understand that. Sometimes I wonder if info gets stuck in cache or something.

I've given up on the Orbi Web UI. Clearly unreliable.  I get more and what I think is more accurate information from the Netgear Genie app. It shows signal strength, link rate, as well as IP address and MAC address. And it shows which device is connected to my router and which is connected to my satellite. And, I spent much of yesterday testing to confirm what the app displays. While I continue to have issues with the Orbi Web UI, the app clearly works.  

Message 58 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Get this... after falling back, and then re-upgrading, my the Web UI is still not showing the Sats connected (they are), and now my Orbi App says "The network connection is busy, reboot orbi, etc"...

Jeeze...

Message 59 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

Get this... after falling back, and then re-upgrading, my the Web UI is still not showing the Sats connected (they are), and now my Orbi App says "The network connection is busy, reboot orbi, etc"...

Jeeze...

Just gets weirder and...

Message 60 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I can confirm that the 1.12.0.16 beta corrects the sats not showing up in the Attached Devices and Firmware Upgrade pages of the router.  Now if it is as good as everything has been for the past 6 months, except for the issue in 1.11.0.20 with the sats, I'll be in great shape!

Message 61 of 77

@TXGunLover wrote:

I see what you're saying.  I don't believe Orbi functions that way, it's not a traditional repeater in that sense, in that it leverages the backhaul to "repeat" versus the same connection to the router.

correct , consider the orbi as a router + point to point dedicated link + wireless access point 

there is no loss in throughput nor issue prevelent with traditional repeater systems 

Message 62 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

I can confirm that the 1.12.0.16 beta corrects the sats not showing up in the Attached Devices and Firmware Upgrade pages of the router.  Now if it is as good as everything has been for the past 6 months, except for the issue in 1.11.0.20 with the sats, I'll be in great shape!

Yet, for some of us...the sat IS listed in the router Web UI. I'm now happy with how my router+sat are operating. I'm ignoring the Web UI. I get ~100 speed throughout the house. I get 118 via Ethernet at the router. Our Comcast service is 100MBps or is Mbps...

Message 63 of 77

@ArtLee wrote:

I get ~100 speed throughout the house. I get 118 via Ethernet at the router. Our Comcast service is 100MBps or is Mbps...

and in the end thats what orbi promises , whole home wifi , that it does in spades 🙂

its Mbps 🙂 enjoy 

Message 64 of 77
indomanna
Tutor

Can you tell me where I can download the BETA firmware 1.12.0.16?  Thx.

Message 65 of 77

hi

sorry i dont know where its coming from , i think it was a test fw , i would wait as the next auto push fw shouldnt be far of and it will contain this and other fixes 

auto push fw will be automatically installed on your orbi when its released 

Message 66 of 77

@ArtLee wrote:

:

Orbi's architecture is more like a conventional router + wireless extender with one key difference. Orbi uses a dedicated 4x4 MU-MIMO radio to connect separate AC1200 class simultaneous dual-band radios in both Router and Satellite."Mesh" systems like eero, Luma and Ubiquiti Networks' Amplifi don't have dedicated backhaul radios. They use their AC1200 class radios for both backhaul and client device connection.

just to correct this as suggesting its like a router and extender is incorrect 

the orbi system is  a point to point bridge working in a star configuration , the point to point is a dedicated 5 gig 1733M link and the sats work just like wireless access points 

unlike repeaters and extenders this dedicated point to point like results in no loss of throughput or mac striping issue assioated with conventional repeater and extenders , this dedicated backhaul is why the orbi stand out from the crowd throughput wise 

Message 67 of 77
almujica
Initiate

Any idea how i would get a copy of this version. 1.12.0.16 ?

Message 68 of 77
indomanna
Tutor

firmware version V1.12.0.18 is now available for download.  updated to this firmware version, satellite still not show up Smiley Sad

Message 69 of 77
quentin
Aspirant

how i would get a copy of this version. 1.12.0.18 ?

I am using it  version. 1.12.0.16

Message 70 of 77
indomanna
Tutor

I just go to firmware update tab and click check update.  then i see status changed it's downloading firmware.

Message 71 of 77
quentin
Aspirant

I'll try it !

thank you!!

Message 72 of 77
nelsonahmed
Aspirant

My router updated last night automatically to the newest firmware version 1.12.0.18 but my satellite still doesnt show. Is there a way that I can manually update the firmware on the satellite? I have tried everything on the Netgear support page, but I cant uptdate the satellite since it isnt showing up on attached to my router. Thank you

Message 73 of 77
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello nelsonahmed

You may want and try to re sync the satellite or if you know the IP address of the unit try to put that in your web browser and see if the GUI for the satellite unit shows up.

DarrenM

Message 74 of 77
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone

We have release firmware version 1.12.0.18 this firmware has fixes for disconnects and many more I posted the release notes below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000044171/RBR50-Firmware-Version-1-12-0-18

If you are still having issues after updating your Orbi unit you may want to factory reset the Orbi and test again. If you are still having disconnect issues or other issues with this firmware please create a new thread or contact our support team.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 75 of 77
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 76 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7