Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1.11.0.20 Firmware Problems w/ Satellites

Retired_Member
Not applicable

1.11.0.20 Firmware Problems w/ Satellites

Both of my satellites along with the master router received the 1.11.0.20 update yesterday.

Upon restart of all 3, the satellites and all clients attached to them no longer show connected in the Atttached Devices screen on the master router.  The Firware update screen also does not reflect the satelites, however, clients connected to the satelites are connected to the WAN/LAN.  

The guest network no longer shows present on the satellites after the firmware upgrade.

I have factory reset the router and satelites twice.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 77

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: 1.11.0.20 Firmware Problems w/ Satellites

I can confirm that the 1.12.0.16 beta corrects the sats not showing up in the Attached Devices and Firmware Upgrade pages of the router.  Now if it is as good as everything has been for the past 6 months, except for the issue in 1.11.0.20 with the sats, I'll be in great shape!

View solution in original post

Message 61 of 77

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello TxGunLover

what about when you log into the satellites what are they showing in the attached device.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi Darren,

One satelite shows different devices connected than the Router does.  The other satelite just spins the "Please Wait A Moment" indetermininte loader for ever.

Thank you.

Message 3 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Just as an update, I manually loaded the firmware on the satelite that wasn't hung showing Attached Devices.

After re-flashing, it now behaves like the other satelite and shows devices not connected to that satelite or the router.

Both satelites are still not shown on the Router in Connected Devices or in the firmware upgrade page.  Thank you.

Message 4 of 77
bsholbrook
Apprentice

I've been operating with the 1.11.0.2-dbg1 beta firmware, not certain if this does or doesnt align with the version you are working with.  I will say that this release was the absolute most frustrating to update to and get a co-hesive router and 2 satelites online.  I had to fuss with the backhaul syncs reboot a few times etc...etc...  I almost reach the point of downgrading.   Sticking with it I will say that the last 10 days have been excellent on the wi-fi front.  No disconnects, solid backhaul, etc etc.... with all of the davanced features on.  I think Netgear is closing in on a solid release for the community.  getting over that hump was a pain, but I'm glad I persisted.

Message 5 of 77
bsholbrook
Apprentice

dup post

Message 6 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've tried everything I know how to get my Orbi router to reflect my Orbi sats.  While both sats are obviously connected (reflect SSID of router, and show devices connected to them) they do not reflect the GUEST network as the router does (they show no Guest SSID) and are not reflected in the router Attached Devices or Firmware update page.

Message 7 of 77
indomanna
Tutor

I have the same problem with my satellite after the upgrade.  I have reset the satellite to factory default twice.  I know the satellite is online since I can print to the printer that connected via network cable to the satellite.  However I did not see the satellite on the console.

Message 8 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yep, that's the exact same situation I'm in.  I've spent an inordinate amout of time trying to get the router to reflect the satelites, but to no avail.

Message 9 of 77
JMU1998
Luminary

Does the current Beta address this issue?

Message 10 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Seems this is turning up in other forums as a problem as well with 1.11.0.20.  Any idea how to get the router to reflect being connected to the sats?

Message 11 of 77
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

"Sticking with it I will say that the last 10 days have been excellent on the wi-fi front.  No disconnects, solid backhaul, etc etc.... with all of the davanced features on.  I think Netgear is closing in on a solid release for the community.  getting over that hump was a pain, but I'm glad I persisted."

I echo that.  I was about to the point of returning mine after 8 weeks of frustration and work.  I went on vacation and upon return, noticed the Firmware update.  Keeping my fingers crossed because this is the best it has ever worked.  Zero speed or stability issues.  It didn't work this well right out of the box.  I am giving it the rest of this week to see if it goes back to the same old problems.  If not, I am taking my chances and canceling the return.  When it works as advertized it is really nice.  I am getting virtually no speed loss.  I have only one satellite so perhaps that is why I am not having some of the issues described in this thread.  

Message 12 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Still can't find the satellites from the router, but they're definitely connected.... what a mess.

Message 13 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

Can I jump in here?  I've had my orbi system for ten days. My problem is I suspect the backhaul has dropped. Symptom: when I log into the satellite, it reports it is up and running. When I try to hit the Connected Devices page, I just continuously rotating dots. Never connects. When I log into the router all looks just fine, but I have learned that is not reliable. I've seen too many times when the sat doesn't answer, but the router says it is connected. I have not been able to keep Orbi normal for more than 24 hours. 

Adding...the app reports no satellites connected, but it shows in the list of connected devices.

Message 14 of 77
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

ArtLee, 

I don't know if this matters but the release notes for Firmware update 1.11.0.20 say it is for bug fixes specific to wireless performance issues on the RBK40.

https://kb.netgear.com/000038848/RBR40-RBS40-Firmware-Version-1-11-0-20

I notice you have the RBK50, which I assume is basically the same but with 2 Satellites.  As quirky as the system has been it wouldn't surprise me if Netgear was somehow able to fix the main problems on the one satellite system and not two.  I am 99% sure I was experiencing the same problems as you with the backhaul. This is the longest stretch of perfect performance I have had with the system since I bought it in April.  Amazon agreed to allow me a return past the 30 day window for a full refund.  I have the mailing label printed in case the problems resurface.  So far, it appears they fixed some core issues, at least with the RBK40.  Also, hopefully this doesn't insult your intelligence but have you gone into the Router Admin and changed the channels on both frequencies from Auto (default setting) to 6 or 11 for 2.4GHz and 45 or 48 for 5GHz?

Fwiw, the App is all but worthless in my experience. Unless I am missing something, the functionality is almost nil.  Also, since you have had your system for only 10 days you may want to hang in there and work with Tech Support since you get 90 days free.  Believe me, I am not an advocate for the Orbi system as I believe it was flawed from day one, Netgear knew that, they just would never admit it (and/or had no idea how to fix it).  Looks to me like they are finally getting close to fixing the core problem, which is only reason I am suggesting you give it a little more time.  Once running properly the system performance is fantastic.  

Message 15 of 77

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Router-QOS-Setup/m-p/1298498
Try to see my post, same situation. Sat keeo rotating dots. Have u try to click speedtest?
Message 16 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Manually reloading the firmware on the Sat fixed rotating dots for me, but not the problem of being able to see the sats from the router (even though they are connected, they're not reflected in the UI).

Message 17 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

YabbadabbaDoooo, I do have RBK50...just one satellite. And I have left the system at defaults. 

In another thread here, I've been advised to move the sat closer. With no hint there's something wrong with the Orbi system. When it works, it delivers fantastic throughput, gettin 100Mbs internet to my wife's computer. We have 100 service, but I get 117 or so via Ethernet through the Orbi router. Comcast over-provisions. That says something.

so, is the backhaul an issue? Or, am I simply asking too much of the backhaul?

Message 18 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

ArtLee,

This issue on this thread is not related to the problems you're describing.  

Message 19 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

Okay, I'll pop out of this thread. 

Message 20 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

No worries, this issue is that the Satellites ARE connected, have a stable connection but are not reflected in the pages on the router (attached devices or firmware upgrade).

Message 21 of 77
cmschleich
Guide

I have an RBK53 running fw 1.4, I haven't added the second satellite in yet. I assume I should hold off on the upgrade?

These have been a total dumpster fire to setup. The number of non-responses and hard reboots required should be embarassing to the company, designers, and QA. Did they even test this? The level headed say "of course", but there is no answer to the quantity of issues and failed basci steps (like IP and SSID changes) requiring hard reboot.

Message 22 of 77
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

@Desmond_Lau wrote:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Router-QOS-Setup/m-p/1298498
Try to see my post, same situation. Sat keeo rotating dots. Have u try to click speedtest?

Yes I did, several times and got a consistent 120Mbs Download and 6.5Mbs Up.  That is near the max speed of my Xfiniti service.  

Message 23 of 77
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

Manually reloading the firmware on the Sat fixed rotating dots for me, but not the problem of being able to see the sats from the router (even though they are connected, they're not reflected in the UI).

Again, hope I do not insult your intelligence but have you tried to connect the Satellites using the full administrator UI in the Router?  I was having a problem with my one satellite connecting and ended up starting over using the Router Admin and not the App or other.  Worth a try....

Message 24 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes.  I don't use the app at all, and only use the WebUI.

I've factory reset the sats and the router numerous times.  They ALWAYS connect, gain the ssid during setup, but afterwards disappear from the router's WebUI as being connected, but are in fact connected sans reflecting the GUEST SSID.

Message 25 of 77
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 76 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7