Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

1.11.0.20 Firmware Problems w/ Satellites

YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Re: 1.11.0.20 Firmware Problems w/ Satellites

@TXGunLover wrote:

Yes.  I don't use the app at all, and only use the WebUI.

I've factory reset the sats and the router numerous times.  They ALWAYS connect, gain the ssid during setup, but afterwards disappear from the router's WebUI as being connected, but are in fact connected sans reflecting the GUEST SSID.

Well that really sucks.  Only thing I can think of would be to try it with just one satellite plugged in as a test.  Maybe that will narrow down the problem to where you can get some good tech support.  As I said before, it appears the new Firmware update was for the RBK40. Maybe try to roll back to an earlier Firmware as well?  Btw... love your username. I am a Texan who is also a Gun Lover!  

Good luck. 

Message 26 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have tried just one unit, but not the rollback yet.  I was hoping, since there were a few other threads reporting the same issue, there might be  fix sooner than later.  Thanks, and cheers fellow Texan!

Message 27 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

Yes.  I don't use the app at all, and only use the WebUI.

I've factory reset the sats and the router numerous times.  They ALWAYS connect, gain the ssid during setup, but afterwards disappear from the router's WebUI as being connected, but are in fact connected sans reflecting the GUEST SSID.

How do do you know they're connected?

Message 28 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I can log into them, see devices connected to them, and verify from the devices shown that they are in fact connected to the satellite.  They're connected to the router, but not reflected in the UI of the router as being connected.  New problem introduced with 1.11.0.20.

Message 29 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

I can log into them, see devices connected to them, and verify from the devices shown that they are in fact connected to the satellite.  They're connected to the router, but not reflected in the UI of the router as being connected.  New problem introduced with 1.11.0.20.

Hmmm...I can see all the connections at the router. But, sat's connections page fails to load. How do you verify from the devices that they are connected to the satellite?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 30 of 77
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

I assume you hit the refresh button in the Router UI to see if they pop up.  Perhaps for grins you should download the App and see if they show up on that.  Otherwise, since it happened after the latest Firmware upgrade I wouldn't hold your breath for a solution from NetGear.  Roll back the Firmware and see if that resolves the issue.  At least then you have narrowed the problem down 100% to the new Firmware.  

Message 31 of 77
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

@ArtLee wrote:

Hmmm...I can see all the connections at the router. But, sat's connections page fails to load. How do you verify from the devices that they are connected to the satellite?

I don't think you can verify connection to a satellite from any device because the nature of the Orbi system is one seamless connection to the main SSID. Your device gets "handed off" to the satellites as you move around but by design it doesn't show anything other than being connected to the SSID.  You can plug an Ethernet cable into a satellite from a computer and see if it works but that is about it as far as I know..  But I am no expert.  

Message 32 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

@YabbadabbaDoooo wrote:

@ArtLee wrote:

I don't think you can verify connection to a satellite from any device because the nature of the Orbi system is one seamless connection to the main SSID. Your device gets "handed off" to the satellites as you move around but by design it doesn't show anything other than being connected to the SSID.  You can plug an Ethernet cable into a satellite from a computer and see if it works but that is about it as far as I know..  But I am no expert.  

Message 33 of 77
cmschleich
Guide

A better solution is to return it for a refund, which I'm about 2 more uncalled-for reboots away from doing.
Message 34 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Artlee,

You can tell from a client based on the MAC address of the access point it's connecting to.  Each sat and router have 1 per band and they're unique.  From the sat, you can tell from the Attached Devices page.

cmschleich,

I've had the system for many months without issues, until 1.11.0.20.

Message 35 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

Artlee,

You can tell from a client based on the MAC address of the access point it's connecting to.  Each sat and router have 1 per band and they're unique.  From the sat, you can tell from the Attached Devices page.

That's just it: The sat's Attached Devices page fails to load. Just keeps on trying to load. But, I just discovered the Netgear Genie app. That shows me which device is connected to what. Sort of, I think. The Router shows devices connected to it. Slide to a second page and see what's connected to the sat... But, it shows the center connection as my router name and shows the satellite as one of the several devices connected. In clever spiderweb format.

But no way to see if backhaul is connected.

Message 36 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My attached devices pages load on both sats and the router.  The router does not show the sats connected, but devices are connected to the sats and the sats reflect changes made on the router.

Message 37 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

My attached devices pages load on both sats and the router.  The router does not show the sats connected, but devices are connected to the sats and the sats reflect changes made on the router.

Very strange. Have you looked at the Netgear Genie app??? I would wonder what shows there.

Message 38 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Artlee,

That is a good suggestion.  I installed and logged into it, and it shows NO devices connected, neither clients or sats, but there are over 80 clients connected + the two sats.  By the way, the clients attached to the sats, while showing in Attached Devices on the sat, do not show up in attached devices on the router, but the devices connected to the router do.

If I change the SSID, the SSID on the router and both sats get changed correctly, but the guest networks are not repeated on the sats.

Also note, there are other threads of folks experiencing the same issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBS50-not-listed-in-status-pages/m-p/1311023#M9172

Message 39 of 77
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

@cmschleich wrote:
A better solution is to return it for a refund, which I'm about 2 more uncalled-for reboots away from doing.

Man i feel ya.  I have my return label from Amazon printed and ready to go. The strange thing is that I am having the opposite experience from TXGun.... I had nothing but problems until 1.11.0.20.  Now it is working perfectly and while I hope it stays that way, I will be sending it back if it acts up again this week.  If it makes it through the week I will let it ride.  Damn shame with all these problems bc when the system works like it should it is outstanding. 

Message 40 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

Artlee,

That is a good suggestion.  I installed and logged into it, and it shows NO devices connected, neither clients or sats, but there are over 80 clients connected + the two sats.  By the way, the clients attached to the sats, while showing in Attached Devices on the sat, do not show up in attached devices on the router, but the devices connected to the router do.

If I change the SSID, the SSID on the router and bot sats get changed correctly, but the guest networks are not repeated on the sats.

Also note, there are other threads of folks experiencing the same issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBS50-not-listed-in-status-pages/m-p/1311023#M9172

What's the diff betwen clients & devices? Aren't they the same?

Your issue with clients shown as attached on the sats' pages but not on router page make me wonder if your backhaul, which is how I would expect that information to get from sats to the router, no?

Message 41 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Artlee,

Backhaul is definitely working because changes made to the router get reflected to the sats and devices connected to the sats can reach both the LAN and the WAN.

Functionally, everything is working, but the GUI on the router is not reflecting the attached sats and guest network which is running on the router isn't carried over to the sats like it was prior to 1.11.0.20.

I plan to fall back tonight.  We'll see how that goes.

Message 42 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

Artlee,

Backhaul is definitely working because changes made to the router get reflected to the sats and devices connected to the sats can reach both the LAN and the WAN.

Functionally, everything is working, but the GUI on the router is not reflecting the attached sats and guest network which is running on the router isn't carried over to the sats like it was prior to 1.11.0.20.

I plan to fall back tonight.  We'll see how that goes.

Well, I would expect that the changes (like SSID) at the router would be received to the sats, not via backhaul, but by the same way you can visit the sats pages. I haven't looked at the backhaul as a two-way street, but only one way from sats to router.

And, i would expect, or hope, that should the backhaul not connect, that everythings shifts to the same way any router+extension would work. But, some accuse me of being a bit naive. 

Message 43 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Artlee,

How would a client, connected to a sat communicate with the WAN if it wasn't doing so over the backhaul to the router?  

Message 44 of 77
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Wow.  From everything stated so far it sure looks like the new Firmware fixed the issues with the RBK40 and screwed up a bunch of things on the 50.  I haven't seen anyone post about this issue happening on the RBK40.  Maybe it is on another thread.  Good luck y'all.  I definitely know the frustration.  I am repeating the link to the release notes for 1.11.0.20 if anyone is interested.  It only talks about the RBK40 bugs fixes. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000038848/RBR40-RBS40-Firmware-Version-1-11-0-20

Message 45 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

Artlee,

How would a client, connected to a sat communicate with the WAN if it wasn't doing so over the backhaul to the router?  

Good question: In my experience with another one or two wifi setups, transmissions were both directions between router and clients and between router & extensions & clients. I had assumed here that that same situation is here but with 5GHz backhaul added as a supplement.

Message 46 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I do not believe a normal client can perform that way.  It can only be connected to a single AP at a time.

Message 47 of 77
ArtLee
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

I do not believe a normal client can perform that way.  It can only be connected to a single AP at a time.

No, I agree on that. Just that APs pass along the information... That's how my last wifi setup was. My wife's computer browser sends a web page request, it went to the extender, then to the router. When the router receives the page, it sends it to the extender, which sends it on to the client. Hey, I'm a Web designer, not a networking guy. 

Message 48 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I see what you're saying.  I don't believe Orbi functions that way, it's not a traditional repeater in that sense, in that it leverages the backhaul to "repeat" versus the same connection to the router.

Message 49 of 77
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I see what you're saying.  I don't believe Orbi functions that way, it's not a traditional repeater in that sense, in that it leverages the backhaul to "repeat" versus the same connection to the router.

Message 50 of 77
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 76 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7