Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 1 DEVICE DOES NOT CONNECT RELIABLY TO RBR10/RBS10

darren-z
Aspirant

1 DEVICE DOES NOT CONNECT RELIABLY TO RBR10/RBS10

Hello, 

I have an RBR10 (2.7.3.22) and one RBS10 in a two story home environment.  They haven been working great and very reliably with all devices until recently.

I have a MacBook Air (running 11.5.1) that connects to the RBR10, but only at a slow speed.  Devices sitting next to it will connect at double the speed or even faster.  The same MacBook Air rarely connects to the satellite.  And frequently searches and searches for a network.  This MacBook air used to work great here and works great on other networks (seriously no issues).  And no other devices, other Apple products, PCs, TVs, etc have any problems here.

Please let me know if there are any settings I should check!  Thanks

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

It's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too. Orbi only provides the platform.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

You can try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 10
darren-z
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.  Home is 1800 sq ft on two levels.  The RBR is at the corner of one level and the RBS is at the opposite corner of the other level.  I would guess they're about 40 feet apart.

I turned down the RBR to 50%.  I immediately noticed that several devices switched from the RBS to the RBR.  The MacBook doesn't transition from one to the other without losing connection.  Other devices do this seamlessly.  Will observe this new setting for a while.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 4 of 10
darren-z
Aspirant

Still noticing a problem with the MacBook and the RBR.  Speeds on the MacBook are half compared to the iphone right next to it.  And both are within 15 feet of the RBR.  Any ideas?

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure the mac book is connected to the RBR and not the RBS. 

Message 6 of 10
darren-z
Aspirant

Hi Furrye38,

Yes, both devices are connected to the RBR.  It's very strange.  All devices have high speeds and transition seamlessly from RBR to RBS, except for this one MacBook that is often searching...and when connected has less than half the speed.

Right now:  MacBook: 115mbps down, 4mbps up;

iphone next to it: 485mbps down, 12up

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the connection rate of the Mac Book to the RBR? Find this with Option key and select the wifi icon on the top tool bar...

Message 8 of 10
darren-z
Aspirant

Connection rate right now is 750Mbps

Everything seems highly variable.  After a restart, the Macbook had decent speed--about 400+ Mbps down.  But within a few minutes, it dropped to 305Mbps with a ping speed of 37ms.  (This isn't bad, but usually deteriorates further until it's unusable).

The iphone currently shows 464 Mbps with a ping of 12ms.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Id get ahold of NG support and let them know what your seeing. Not alot we can troubleshoot for this issue. Also maybe a Mac Book radio issue as weel as the iphone seems to work but the Mac Book doesn't. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7