Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 1 router 2 satellites from different kits!

sigswi
Aspirant

1 router 2 satellites from different kits!

Hi

Sometime ago (before purchasing) i opened this topic, asking whether it would be possible to purchase 2 orbi kits in order to use the 2 satellites with 1 router. the response was positive

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/2-orbi-kits/m-p/1223285#M3970

I have actually gone ahead and purchased the two kits (not happy with having to do this at all but i felt i had no choice where i live the google alternative is not available and neither are the satellites) . However,  i don't seem to be able to synch the satellite from the second kit to the router of the first kit.

The router and its own satellite synch perfectly (blue light). The satellite from the second kit does not synch with the router of the first kit, no matter where i place it. I tried switching locations of the satellites and nothing changes, i can get a blue light on the satellite that came with the router in both locations, but the other satellite is always solid magenta) 

Can you help me with this. How do i synch the satellite coming from the secon kit to my router?

thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 14
st_shaw
Master

The devices come with a pre-loaded backhaul password that's the same on the router and satellite.  Devices from two different kits will not sync.

You should be able to sync them using the Sync buttons on the router and satellite.  Did you try that?

Message 2 of 14
sigswi
Aspirant

yes, i pressed the synch button on the router, then ran downstairs and pressed the synch button on the satellite, if that's what you mean?

All of this after having reset to factory settings all units and before re-doing the remaining part of the set up .

didn't work. still magenta. what i am doing wrong?

Message 3 of 14
PhoenixV
Apprentice

Hi,

I have the same situation....

Install one Orbi "kit" and get it up and running so that you have the Base and the Satellite pair operating properly. I then use the ORBI app on the iPhone and select "Add Sattelite" option - go through the workflow and the third sattelite from the second kit is recognized and the settings are automatically downloaded and updated by the router from the first kit. Took me all of 2 minutes! (I'd assume that the same can be done through the web interface as well but I have not done that).

Message 4 of 14
sigswi
Aspirant

to be honest before resetting to factory settings i looked everywhere on the web interface for an option to add a satellite. no luck

I'll see i i can install the app...

Message 5 of 14
PhoenixV
Apprentice

Log in to Orbi at 192.168.1.1 - Basic Tab - last option on the list in the left column.... ADD ORBI SATTELITE

Message 6 of 14
st_shaw
Master

@sigswi wrote:

to be honest before resetting to factory settings i looked everywhere on the web interface for an option to add a satellite. no luck

I'll see i i can install the app...

The add satellite option is right there on the main web interface page at the bottom left. Not sure how you could miss it.  I find the app less than useless.

Capture.PNG

Message 7 of 14
sigswi
Aspirant

well it's simple, the option is just not there on the web interface if router is on version v.1.3.0.26  (the factory setting version )

now that i updated the firmware version to 1.8 i can see it and extra option on the web interface basic tab

Message 8 of 14
st_shaw
Master

@sigswi wrote:

well it's simple, the option is just not there on the web interface if router is on version v.1.3.0.26  (the factory setting version )

now that i updated the firmware version to 1.8 i can see it and extra option on the web interface basic tab

That explains it!  Otherwise you'd have to be blind to miss it. 🙂

Message 9 of 14
ClintoKL
Apprentice

Did it work for you? Im thinking about doing the same thing.

Could you please let me know?

Thx

Message 10 of 14
AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Stand Alone Satellite is available in the US in all 3 form factors as of this weekend.  You will not have to buy the kit just to get the Satellite.  It's coming internationally soon.  

Orbi Product Team 

Message 11 of 14
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Amitrele, you are such a tease !

Coming internationally soon.....

Please have a word with Mr Netgear and tell him we really need a date to aim for.

Please !
Message 12 of 14
musling
Aspirant

Can you please be a bit more specific than "soon"? i am about to purchase a second kit but will of course hold off if i can buy the satelitte only....

Message 13 of 14
sigswi
Aspirant

yes it worked. everything is well so far 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7