Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

110/120V Orbi AC2200 RBK23 Power Adapter Works on 230V/50Hz

travist128
Follower

110/120V Orbi AC2200 RBK23 Power Adapter Works on 230V/50Hz

Hello! I work overseas in SE Asia and bought the Orbi RBK23 AC2200 3-unit mesh wifi system from a US retailer, thinking like most electronics that they would come with 100-240V power adapters. Nope! Silly me I guess. It comes with a 100-120V 50/60Hz power adapter. I read enough posts on this forum and on Reddit saying that the power adapter may in fact be dual voltage, but that it's marked as only 100-120V due to regulatory issues. My voltage meter recently broke, so I couldn't plug one of the adapters in and test the output. My wife, always more daring than me, told me to plug those babies in and give it a shot, and sure enough they've been working without issue for about a week now. Neither the power adapters nor the units feel hot and they are operating normally. Only time will tell if that continues, but I think it's safe to say these are actually dual voltage power adapters. It wouldn't make a ton of sense for Netgear to manufacture 2 different adapters anyway, when they already have to produce them with different plugs for different regions. I suspect the sticker on my adapters is misleading.

I wanted to put this out there as an FYI. By no means does this guarantee that the power adapter you were provided will work with 230/240V, but like me you may be willing to take the risk rather than buy new power adapters. Dual voltage power adapters are cheap, but in my case it would've been close to a month before I could get some replacements, thus the willingness to gamble. Best of luck y'all.

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 110/120V Orbi AC2200 RBK23 Power Adapter Works on 230V/50Hz

Also long as the OUTPUT voltage and amps are the same, going into the Orbi device, the input don't matter. Just as long as your power adapter is dual voltage for regions that are 220/240v then your power adapter better be dual votage or rated to handle 220/240v on the input. 

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@travist128 wrote:

Hello! I work overseas in SE Asia and bought the Orbi RBK23 AC2200 3-unit mesh wifi system from a US retailer, thinking like most electronics that they would come with 100-240V power adapters.

The worse part is that you receive FCC-only models from the us retailers, which can't be adjusted to any other wireless legislation - channels available and power makes operation abroad illegal. Very different, the non US/FCC versions (worldwide versions) can be adjusted, including to the US/FCC setting. 

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

The worse part is that you receive FCC-only models from the us retailers, which can't be adjusted to any other wireless legislation - channels available and power makes operation abroad illegal.

I agree that the Region drop down menu in the Advanced Tab->Advanced Settings->Advanced Wireless Settings is greyed out.  I have a strong memory of there being a way to reset the Region code, which would make the Orbi compliant with the actual location. (This will take some searching because it was maybe a year or more ago.)  There are a bunch of parameters with "region=US".  It could have been using telnet to reset one of the parameters or an HTTP hack to make the drop down menu appear.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK53-Region-Change/m-p/1743684#M60468

@CrimpOn wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

The worse part is that you receive FCC-only models from the us retailers, which can't be adjusted to any other wireless legislation - channels available and power makes operation abroad illegal.

I agree that the Region drop down menu in the Advanced Tab->Advanced Settings->Advanced Wireless Settings is greyed out.  I have a strong memory of there being a way to reset the Region code, which would make the Orbi compliant with the actual location. (This will take some searching because it was maybe a year or more ago.)  There are a bunch of parameters with "region=US".  It could have been using telnet to reset one of the parameters or an HTTP hack to make the drop down menu appear.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7