Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2.3.1.60 everything went to crap

OrbiPhilip
Luminary

@Monti9901 wrote:

One additional thing (which may or may not apply to you). After upgrade to .60, my dhcp pool when from .100-254 to 2-254 and that caused a ton of **bleep** in my setup due to having about 10 static ip in the 10 range. 

In addition to becoming wildly unstable, mine blew out the separate 2.4/5ghz WLAN SSIDs.

The fact that every firmware update needs a factory reset AND a complete manual reconfig is just a symptom of garbage code and poor QA.  Not that we didn't know that already.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 42

@OrbiPhilip wrote:

The fact that every firmware update needs a factory reset AND a complete manual reconfig is just a symptom of garbage code and poor QA.  Not that we didn't know that already.

I don't know where you got the idea that every update demands a reset. This simply is not true. Outside of beta tests, I can't recall having to reset anything in more than a year of updates.

The only time when anyone recommends a reset is if there are post-update issues that can't be fixed by tweaking the settings.

In itself that is painful enough, but it is not a good idea to turn this into blanket advice. Unwary users can end up resetting their routers unnecessarily. Don't do it unless you have to.

Message 27 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@saxplayer wrote:

So, if coexistence is checked and enabled, device uses 40MHz and drops to 20MHz if there is inteference.

If coexistence is disabled device uses 40MHz exclusively.

So there isn't possibility to manually use plain 20MHz width at all if I understood right? On many devices 40MHz is an option to choose or not. Because in many cases 40MHz isn't recommended.

Earlier on initial setup i didn't check coexistence and scanner has always shown 20MHz. Channel seems to be free and my problems started after update. But I try to figure it out. 

Message 28 of 42
MattWeatherford
Aspirant

I have Orbi:

RBS50 & RBR50

I took the firmware update to 2.3.1.60 then started geting WAN drop outs about every day or so during heavy use.

I have a PPoE connection to centurylink fiber in Seattle, WA.  Uses a VLAN to make the PPoE connection, so my setup is a little less intuitive.

Anyway, has been working great for a year at least with  2.3.1.48 firmware.  Just rolled back to .48

Here is what my dropout log looked  like (Courtest of Centurylink who came tested the fiber from house to the pole and found no problems) when I was on the .60 release.  I havent been on .48 rollback long enough to know if that solved the problem or not.

Hopefully there wasnt a radio firmware update or something that is irreversable.

Message 29 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after v60 was applied? Seen issue after FW updates and users continue with out a reset. After a reset and setup from scratch, seems to help in some cases. 

@MattWeatherford wrote:

I have Orbi:

RBS50 & RBR50

I took the firmware update to 2.3.1.60 then started geting WAN drop outs about every day or so during heavy use.

I have a PPoE connection to centurylink fiber in Seattle, WA.  Uses a VLAN to make the PPoE connection, so my setup is a little less intuitive.

Anyway, has been working great for a year at least with  2.3.1.48 firmware.  Just rolled back to .48

Here is what my dropout log looked  like (Courtest of Centurylink who came tested the fiber from house to the pole and found no problems) when I was on the .60 release.  I havent been on .48 rollback long enough to know if that solved the problem or not.

Hopefully there wasnt a radio firmware update or something that is irreversable.

Message 30 of 42
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

In my experience, updates, post-update issues, and factory resets are almost synonymous.  YMMV

@michaelkenward wrote:

@OrbiPhilip wrote:

I don't know where you got the idea that every update demands a reset....

The only time when anyone recommends a reset is if there are post-update issues that can't be fixed by tweaking the settings.

Message 31 of 42

@OrbiPhilip wrote:

In my experience, updates, post-update issues, and factory resets are almost synonymous.  YMMV

I can't recall ever doing a factory reset after an Orbi firmware update.

The only times when I have found this necessary for Netgear stuff is when I have been messing around and in beta tests.

It may help some people, which is why it is recommended with post-flash issue, but it certainly is not a normal part of the update process.

Message 32 of 42
kdbajaj22
Tutor

I have had the exact same experiences since 2 weeks ago when I updated to this firmware. I have two satellites and one router. Each satellite has one ethernet connected device. Randomly, especially at night (no clue why) everything conks off. All wired/wireless devices either indicate there is no internet connection or are disconnected. This outage occurs for 15-20 minutes. The Orbi app is unable to detect the system during the outage.
If you restart the router only, the satellites take up to 20 minutes to register.

If you restart a satellite, it does not help until the router is restarted.

During the outages, the router is pingable but config page does not open (assuming you are still connected to the network)

I am unable to determine a pattern, although majority of the downtime happen in the night l have experienced it once in the day.

I have already attempted a full reset using the paperclip. This did not help.

I am so close to moving to the Velop because this isn't the first time a firmware update has caused outages. I've had the system for two years and I've never seen so much unexplained downtime

My ISP uses a PPPoE link and its 250mbps. It is a rock solid connection.

My home is approximately 2400 square feet. I would say that the only positive thing about Orbi is the incredible coverage.

Any ideas on this? (I work in IT so advanced tips or settings are OK for me)
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 33 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

How was v60 applied? Via auto update or manual download of the FW files and maually applied? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@kdbajaj22 wrote:
I have had the exact same experiences since 2 weeks ago when I updated to this firmware. I have two satellites and one router. Each satellite has one ethernet connected device. Randomly, especially at night (no clue why) everything conks off. All wired/wireless devices either indicate there is no internet connection or are disconnected. This outage occurs for 15-20 minutes. The Orbi app is unable to detect the system during the outage.
If you restart the router only, the satellites take up to 20 minutes to register.

If you restart a satellite, it does not help until the router is restarted.

During the outages, the router is pingable but config page does not open (assuming you are still connected to the network)

I am unable to determine a pattern, although majority of the downtime happen in the night l have experienced it once in the day.

I have already attempted a full reset using the paperclip. This did not help.

I am so close to moving to the Velop because this isn't the first time a firmware update has caused outages. I've had the system for two years and I've never seen so much unexplained downtime

My ISP uses a PPPoE link and its 250mbps. It is a rock solid connection.

My home is approximately 2400 square feet. I would say that the only positive thing about Orbi is the incredible coverage.

Any ideas on this? (I work in IT so advanced tips or settings are OK for me)

Message 34 of 42
kdbajaj22
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. The update was applied through the mobile app automatically (not by manually downloading the files and applying the update).
The routers and the satellites are exactly where they have been since day one , I.e. approximately 20-25 feet apart with two concrete walls. Basically it's an apartment. The router is in the center of the layout with each satellite placed equidistant (or as equidistant as possible....) in opposite directions at the ends of the apartment.

The channels are on auto and coexistence enabled. I have not tinkered with this since the beginning.
It isn't crowded wifi on ny level. I have my neighbors wifi and probably a third network visible if I do a scan at certain points in the apartment. It looks pretty quiet around here.

Yes I have enabled/disabled MIMO and WMM and observed for 2 days. It didn't make a difference. Daisy chain and fast roaming never had an impact anyway whenever i played with the settings in the past. IPv6 disabling has a disadvantage for me because for some reason my corporate stuff related to VPN and Office 365 with SSO never works if i turn off ipv6.
Message 35 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try a factory reset on the entire system and setup from scratch.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Disable the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 36 of 42
kdbajaj22
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions. So here is what I have done today:
Factory default
Disabled WMM
Disabled beamforming
Disabled daisy chain
Disabled 20/40 coexistence
Changed wireless location to Middle East instead of Europe (because that's where I am). This would have an impact on the channels used. Prefer to keep it Auto for now after this change.

Let's see what happens over the next day.
Message 37 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know. 

Beamforming and WMM should be enabled though. Try enabling these if something still happens. 

@kdbajaj22 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. So here is what I have done today:
Factory default
Disabled WMM
Disabled beamforming
Disabled daisy chain
Disabled 20/40 coexistence
Changed wireless location to Middle East instead of Europe (because that's where I am). This would have an impact on the channels used. Prefer to keep it Auto for now after this change.

Let's see what happens over the next day.

Message 38 of 42
kdbajaj22
Tutor

Well, so far so good! It hasn't conked off once in the last 24 hours so far which is great (the outages were happening everyday - sometimes up to 5 times a day).

I really think here the trick was disabling daisy-chaining. I realized that the firmware 2.3.1.60 update returned this setting to enabled which could be the root cause of the majority of the complaints I have seen here. I have a backup config saved from a former update about 5 months ago and I double-checked to make sure I wasn't imagining this: daisy-chaining should be disabled (at least in my case) since the setup across three rooms is  S-R-S  (Satellite - Router - Satellite)  (Room1, Room2, Room3) respectively.

I read a bit further about Beamforming, Coexistence and MIMO - Most of the devices at home are newer so I don't feel a need to change anything for the time-being. Majority of the streaming is from LG smart TVs (Youtube/NetFlix) and the older models do not include the ability to tag their traffic for QoS.

Message 39 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad thats working better now. I think you'll be good now. Regarding Beamforming. I would enable it and test it out. It would help with better performance. IF something does happen with it enabled, you can turn it back of. 

Make a new backup config to file as well for v60. 

Enjoy. 

Message 40 of 42
gr8sho
Virtuoso

IMHO, daisychain shouldn’t cause any problems coming up from a factory installed state. If such a problem existed, it would be pervasive to many more people.
I keep mine off since I only have one satellite and to have one less active channel.
The setup program in the Orbi could activate or deactivate the feature depending on topology.
Message 41 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

With Orib and Daisy Chain, anything is possible. Smiley Tongue

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 13 in conversation
Announcements