Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2.3.5.30 - ORBI - Firmware AutoUpdate? Severe Problems with Satellite

AFD
Luminary
Luminary

2.3.5.30 - ORBI - Firmware AutoUpdate? Severe Problems with Satellite

Someone could help me in order to know why my devices appear with the referenced firmware? I didn't perform any action to start an update procedure and the firmware was installed without any single message . 

The real issue is that now I have a terrible problem with the satellite , because no devices are connected to It,  and security cameras are now out of service , the alarm also , or have a poor and terrible service because of the distance to the main route (rbr50) .

Al lthe devices in the WiFi network are connected to the Main Orbi router than the Satellite that supoosed it should be , so you can imagine the performance of many of them . 

Please let me know how to solve the problem and also if an automatic update was run without any notification to the user .  

Urgent Support is requested 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Up & Running with 2.3.5.30 .

Almost 2 days with no (bad) news . Everything seems to run fine with no noticed issues (until now). 

Satellite Devices are connected as expected . 

Cameras running ok 

IR/RF remote controls , devices and RF lights are operating as expected . (RF is posted because the remote controls are connecting to Orbi wia WiFi and send RF signals to different devices)  

Keep you posted in case of problems . 

Thanks to everybody for helping and supporting 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
mathewbeall99
Aspirant

I also have a very similar issue - my main orbi keeps updating to V2.3.5.12_1.0.8, and on this version my satellites don't show as connected, although on the home screen they do show.  If I go through all the hoops to downgrade it to 2.2 it works perfectly.  Yet - I can't tell it to NOT upgrade.

Plus - i can't do chat or email support with netgear after 90 days?  Yet, they upgrade my system w/o letting me choose?  I am not really understanding that.

What options do I have?

Matt

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 2 of 13
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for answering . Im still working in the problem which is very severe , I have a lot of devices in 2.4 GHZ range connected to the satellite that today do not respond because all of them are connected to the main router . 

Im thinking in perform a factory reset and reinstall the previous version which was running perfectly well . (2.3.1.44 in my case) . 

Im going to post here the different tests done before resetting . I dont want to rollback to a previous version (despite I didnt decide to install it) , but lets see . 

Message 3 of 13
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

I'm going to disconnect (turn off) and connect (turn on) all the devices that supposed to be connected to the satellite to see what happens . Turn off/on the main router and the satellite didn't solve the problem until now . This is the third day with the issue , so I think is enough time to allow the roaming of the devices by themselves . Besides is not only the cameras (there are some alarms , sensors and smartplugs that suppose to be connected to the satellite.
During today I'm going to perform this action and let you know .
Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

Whenever firmware updates are done, its recommended to update the satellites first and then the main orbi. If it happens in reverse, it can cause issues. If you're having issues after a firmware update and all devices are up to date on their firmware, sometimes a factory reset can help resolve them.  

I believe with one of the more recent firmware updates it disables the auto update of firmware funtion. After that it gives you a notice at the top stating there is an update. I'm not sure (without researching) which version it was that the option rolled out in. 

Another thing to keep in mind with devices not connecting to the satellite is distance. orbi devices need to be a minimum of 30ft apart. 

Message 5 of 13
kyleb88
Guide

Hey I was on firmware .44 also and it was to never supposed to update my firmware past that. the past couple days Ive been getting terrible restarts/rebooting. Some how my updated the firmware by itself also to 2.3.5.30. Not happy about this. Mine was rock solid on the .44

Message 6 of 13
mathewbeall99
Aspirant

Well - I factory reset everything.... always fun to spend 45m doing that.  We will see if it's more stable.

I don't even see an option that says "don't update firmware" in my version, unless its hidden somewhere.

Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

It didn't say don't update my firmware. It just doesn't update unless you click on the notification at the top. 

Message 8 of 13
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Start testing with the following Steps

1 - Start disconnection (turn off-on) of each device thta supposed to be connected to the satellite (more than 20 devices) 

2 - Verify the connections  

3 - Depending on the results 1-2 go to factory reset and reinstall 2.3.1.44 (manually) 

4 - Restore the previously config file saved 2 months ago . 

Thanks for all the collaboration and support . Im going to keep you informed about the results  

By the way , it seems that unstable wifi is better now (I dont know why , because I didn't perform any action , but let's see) 

Message 9 of 13
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Problem solved(??) for the moment , status follows  

This is the Method I used in my case 

1 - Factory reset 

2 - Manual installation Firmware 2.3.1.44

3 - Load Configuration file from Backup

4 - Testing everything with old firmware (OK) 

5 - Manual installation Firmware 2.3.5.30 

6 - Turn OFF/ON all the devices that supposed to be connected to the satellite 

7 - Testing everything since 2 hours ago (seems to be ok)

Let's see what happen . Firmware 2.3.5.30 (up and running) .

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. Keep us posted on how it goes...

Message 11 of 13
AFD
Luminary
Luminary

Up & Running with 2.3.5.30 .

Almost 2 days with no (bad) news . Everything seems to run fine with no noticed issues (until now). 

Satellite Devices are connected as expected . 

Cameras running ok 

IR/RF remote controls , devices and RF lights are operating as expected . (RF is posted because the remote controls are connecting to Orbi wia WiFi and send RF signals to different devices)  

Keep you posted in case of problems . 

Thanks to everybody for helping and supporting 

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Glad it's all working for you now. I knew it would. 

Please mark your post thread as solved. 

Enjoy.Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7