Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2.4 G and 5 G - cannot get my orbi router & 2 satellites all under one 'network'

Daveapatton
Guide

2.4 G and 5 G - cannot get my orbi router & 2 satellites all under one 'network'

I set up my system. Created the network name.

On my iPhone when I go into settings and look under the Wi-Fi section I see several network's named "unknown".   When I look at the IP address or Mac addresses ( I don't know which one of those numbers I'm seeing on my iPhone),  I see several networks marked as "unknown" and they are the 5 GHz signals coming from my router. That leads me to believe that both frequencies are not bundled under my single network.

You will see in the picture below the name of my network is my last name, Patton.   You will see that the 2 GHz sIgnal IS part of my network but the one right underneath is coming from the SAME router (look at the IP address's.   The 2 GHz ( Channel 48) is part of my network but the 5 GHz signal (channel 157) is  not part of my network even though it's coming from the same router????

Does anyone have any idea what I'm trying to say, LOL? I'm clueless when it comes to tech. Need help please 🙂 

IMG_0964.PNG

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Daveapatton
Guide

Re: 2.4 G and 5 G - cannot get my orbi router & 2 satellites all under one 'network'

THANK YOU!! Man I please ask you another question? Since that network does not technically have a name, are my devices going to know that they can use the 5 GHz channel? I'm sorry I'm so stupid when it comes to this stuff 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
rhester72
Virtuoso

Both channel 48 and 157 are 5GHz (by definition, 2.4GHz channels only go up to 11 in the US and 14 internationally).  The lower-numbered one is the Orbi wifi network, the higher-numbered one is the Orbi's backhaul-to-satellite connection.

Rodney

Message 2 of 4
Daveapatton
Guide

THANK YOU!! Man I please ask you another question? Since that network does not technically have a name, are my devices going to know that they can use the 5 GHz channel? I'm sorry I'm so stupid when it comes to this stuff 🙂
Message 3 of 4
rhester72
Virtuoso

Your devices will try to connect to the lower-channel 5GHz network (which has a SSID) if they support 5GHz, yes.  Nothing will attempt to connect to the higher-channel backhaul radio except the satellite/router.

Rodney

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7