Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2.4ghz Dropping

loremipsum
Aspirant

2.4ghz Dropping

I roamed around while watching the signal strength of my connections, and I noticed that the 2.4ghz bands (there are 2) keep dropping. In the image they are the red and blue lines, and dark green and pink are 5.0ghz bands. I doubt this is normal; can anyone explain it?

wireless-30min.pngI never lost any connectivity while I walked around.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: 2.4ghz Dropping

Your laptop WiFi can only listen on one channel and one band (2.4 or 5 GHz) at any one time.  So, to make those plots the scanning software on the laptop needs to set the WiFI band and channel, listen brefly, rapidly change channels, then repeat across all channels and both bands.  In doing so, your scanner will miss some packets broadcast by the Orbi, because they are in no way coordinated.

If you are concerned about it, obtain a copy of Acrylic WiFI professional, and a supported WiFi adapter.  With that combination you can lock the WiFI card to the specific band and channel used by Orbi, and ensure no packets are missed. Then you will see there are no drop outs.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Doesn't mean much.  It just means your computer missed a few packets when doing the test. It does not mean your WiFi stopped working or something is wrong with your Orbi.

Message 2 of 5
loremipsum
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. I find it suspect that it was just the 2.4ghz though, and that the drops happened while I was next to the satellite or router.

Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Your laptop WiFi can only listen on one channel and one band (2.4 or 5 GHz) at any one time.  So, to make those plots the scanning software on the laptop needs to set the WiFI band and channel, listen brefly, rapidly change channels, then repeat across all channels and both bands.  In doing so, your scanner will miss some packets broadcast by the Orbi, because they are in no way coordinated.

If you are concerned about it, obtain a copy of Acrylic WiFI professional, and a supported WiFi adapter.  With that combination you can lock the WiFI card to the specific band and channel used by Orbi, and ensure no packets are missed. Then you will see there are no drop outs.

Message 4 of 5
loremipsum
Aspirant

Thank you for the follow up response.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements