Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2.4ghz device connecting to orbi rbk53

Rssteens
Aspirant

2.4ghz device connecting to orbi rbk53

Hi,

We have an old2.4ghz device we want to connect with the orbi rbk53. It does not connect. We have already tried to connect to another router with only has 2.4ghz and that worked.  Is it possible to connect this device to the orbi rbk53. We have already tried to disable SSID broadcast for the 5ghz. And we have hidden the 5ghz network, but the 2.4ghz device did not connect to the orbi rbk53. Does anyone now another option to connect the device?

Rik

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Catalyst_oz
Aspirant

what I have found is that if i get far enough away from the router the the connection will fall back to 2.4G and once the item has connected it will stay connected fine.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

As there is a lot of noise with similar issues, putting aside that a 2.4 GHz only device does not give a s**t if there is 5 GHz, 60 GHz, or whatever other standards technologies are on air: Please provide details of the 2.4 GHz device (make, model, firmware, installation process, ...) which does apparently fail to associate with the Orbi wireless

Worth a try: Temporary shutdown Orbi, configure the other router you have at hand to the same network name (SSID) and security key/password, and configure the device in question so it has the config ready. Now shutdown the test router and bring up Orbi again.

Just in case you are located in a regulatory area allowing to use the channels 12 and 13: You might want to change the Orbi config to channels 1..11. Few devices (not correctly adopted to the regulatory area, direct import, whatever) will not work on 12 and 13.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the 2.4Ghz device? 

To see if it connects with Orbi at all, temporarily disable the WPA security on the RBR. Try to connect the device. 

Then reenabled WPA and TPIK. Try to connect the device. 

Then set WPA2 and AES only...Coonect the device. 

@Rssteens wrote:

Hi,

We have an old2.4ghz device we want to connect with the orbi rbk53. It does not connect. We have already tried to connect to another router with only has 2.4ghz and that worked.  Is it possible to connect this device to the orbi rbk53. We have already tried to disable SSID broadcast for the 5ghz. And we have hidden the 5ghz network, but the 2.4ghz device did not connect to the orbi rbk53. Does anyone now another option to connect the device?

Rik

Message 3 of 7
Rssteens
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for your comment. I have given the test router the same SSID and password as the Orbi. The 2.4 GHz device connects to this test router. I then switched off this test router and switched on the Orbi. However, the 2.4ghz device does not connect to the Orbi. The WiFi channel of the Orbi is at 11.

The 2.4 GHz device is the WiFi ITC from Faber. There are no more specifications
Hopefully someone can help us.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

To see if it connects with Orbi at all, temporarily disable the WPA security on the RBR. Try to connect the device. 

Then reenabled WPA and TPIK. Try to connect the device. 

Then set WPA2 and AES only...Coonect the device. 

Message 5 of 7
Catalyst_oz
Aspirant

what I have found is that if i get far enough away from the router the the connection will fall back to 2.4G and once the item has connected it will stay connected fine.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so this is a wifi distance issue with the device. Sounds like you got it narrowed down then. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Catalyst_oz wrote:

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7