Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2.4gz channel stopped broadcasting

Mr_DRS
Star

2.4gz channel stopped broadcasting

Hi last night for no reason my 2.GHz channel stopped broadcasting. My 5GHz channel and wired devices are fine.

The reason I know that it is a fault with the 2.4GHZ channel is because all my smart cameras which use that channel have all gone offline and wifi analyzer shows no ssid being broadcast on the 2.4ghz channel.

My support just ran out in February so wondered if the community can help. So far I have rebooted the router, tried disabling then reenabling the 2.4Ghz broadcast, but nothing has worked. 

My router is RBR50 with one satellite version v2.5.1.8 . I have it set up in AP mode with a SKY Q Router ding the DHCP routr stuff.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS. Let us know if the radio returns...

Be sure all other wireless radios are disabled on the SKY Q Router...

Please allow the OP to investigate/research this fouled up FW

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 23

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mr_DRS wrote:

Hi last night for no reason my 2.GHz channel stopped broadcasting. My 5GHz channel and wired devices are fine.

The reason I know that it is a fault with the 2.4GHZ channel is because all my smart cameras which use that channel have all gone offline and wifi analyzer shows no ssid being broadcast on the 2.4ghz channel.

My support just ran out in February so wondered if the community can help. So far I have rebooted the router, tried disabling then reenabling the 2.4Ghz broadcast, but nothing has worked. 

My router is RBR50 with one satellite version v2.5.1.8 . I have it set up in AP mode with a SKY Q Router ding the DHCP routr stuff.

how long have you had  v2.5.1.8?

lots of problems, you may want to dump it and swtich back to your previous version.

Message 2 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS. Let us know if the radio returns...

@Mr_DRS wrote:

Message 3 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Please allow the OP to investigate/research this fouled up FW

Message 4 of 23
Mr_DRS
Star

Thanks I'll try the factory reset suggested by Furry this evening and failing that i'll try downgrading the firmware (I'll have to read up on that). I take it there have been lots of problems with this latest version of firmware??

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Mr_DRS wrote:

how long have you had  v2.5.1.8?

lots of problems, you may want to dump it and swtich back to your previous version.

Message 5 of 23
Mr_DRS
Star

Sorry who is OP and when are they likely to investigate and fix the firmware?

Message 6 of 23
Mr_DRS
Star

Had it just under a month I think. I'll do a factory reset this evening and if that doesn't work try downgrading the firmware. 

Message 7 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Been a mixed bag. Some have had problems, some haven't. There are known Circle app issues that are resolved by disabling Circle. Then FW works right. Others have just done a factory reset and reconfigured the system again. Some problems are mis-configurations. Also there are ISP Modem issues with modems with built in routers that can cause problems aswell. Sometimes it is a hardware failure. I didn't see any problems with stock v2.5.1.8 when I had it loaded for months. I've know switched to Voxels FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...

Still, stable and solid. Even better than stock FW. 

@Mr_DRS wrote:

Thanks I'll try the factory reset suggested by Furry this evening and failing that i'll try downgrading the firmware (I'll have to read up on that). I take it there have been lots of problems with this latest version of firmware??

Message 8 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mr_DRS wrote:

Sorry who is OP and when are they likely to investigate and fix the firmware?

you are

Message 9 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I didn't see any problems with stock v2.5.1.8 when I had it loaded for months.

I'm sure those that have had problems are glad to hear this...

Message 10 of 23
Mr_DRS
Star

I don't think i'm ready to try Voxel's firmware, i'll look for the previous Netgear FirmWare and try that. I'm now thinking a firmware downgrade will be less hassle than a factory reset. As a factory reset will muck up all the old DHCP settings

Message 11 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

If you save off a backup configuration to file, then do a reset, then you could apply the back up from file with out mucking up your configuration. 

If it doesn't correct the problem, then a reset will still be needed to check this.

Let us know how it goes. 

@Mr_DRS wrote:

I don't think i'm ready to try Voxel's firmware, i'll look for the previous Netgear FirmWare and try that. I'm now thinking a firmware downgrade will be less hassle than a factory reset. As a factory reset will muck up all the old DHCP settings

Message 12 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mr_DRS wrote:

wise decision

not sure how you got the bad firmware, however in the future, stop performing manual updates

Message 13 of 23
Mr_DRS
Star

pdate to the firmware wasn't manual, it was pushed through by the Orbi app I have on my phone. I'm quite tech savvy but I'm not ready to be an early adopter on beta firmware

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Mr_DRS wrote:

wise decision

not sure how you got the bad firmware, however in the future, stop performing manual updates

Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

One other problem is some users updating FW using the Orbi app. Seen various problems with this method. I would not recommend using it. Either use the RBRs web page or manually download FW updates and apply them yourself. 

Let us now if you back up the configuration to file on the RBR, then do a reset, does it bring the 2.4Ghz radio back? If so, apply your backup configuration from file. 

Message 15 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mr_DRS wrote:

pdate to the firmware wasn't manual, it was pushed through by the Orbi app I have on my phone. I'm quite tech savvy but I'm not ready to be an early adopter on beta firmware

Using the app is NOT a automatic update.  You had to open the app and execute the upgrade.

When there is a critical update for your Orbi, NG will push it to automatically.  No action required on your part.

The only beta version in this discussion would be the one that fouled up your system.

Message 16 of 23
Mr_DRS
Star

I performed the downgrade and still have the same problem. The downgrade was done on the router and the satellite. Just to be clear the previous firmware was in use for a good few weeks with no problems. On a last note why would an update be made available if its not fully tested if the app tells me an update is available I'm not to know at what stage of development the app is.

Below is a ascreen shot showing that the 2.4 ghz band is not being sent by the RBR50 router to the satellite

Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 18.20.17.png

@Retired_Member wrote:

@Mr_DRS wrote:

Using the app is NOT a automatic update.  You had to open the app and execute the upgrade.

When there is a critical update for your Orbi, NG will push it to automatically.  No action required on your part.

The only beta version in this discussion would be the one that fouled up your system.

Message 17 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

So can you do a back up configuration to file, then do a factory reset on the RBR and just set up a basic configuration first. Check to see if the 2.4Ghz radio appears in a wifi analyzer or have your 2.4Ghz devices connect to it. If it doesn't appear or 2.4Ghz devices don't connect, I would presume the RBR maybe faulty. 

Message 18 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mr_DRS wrote:
 On a last note why would an update be made available if its not fully tested if the app tells me an update is available I'm not to know at what stage of development the app is.

That Sir is the one million dollar question.  It may be since NG no longer pushes ALL FW updates, it is their way of offering it to all of those who desire to live on the edge.  NG understands that there are a group of folks who they feel must have the latest and greatest FW update, regardless if their ststem is working fine.  You get the idea.  If your system is running, leave it alone.  You didn't spend hundreds of dollars for a set of headaches.

Message 19 of 23
Mr_DRS
Star

Did the factory reset and after a bit of playing with the configuration (always needed when setting up the orbi), I can report that the 2.4ghz channel is now working again. fingers crossed it lasts !

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Mr_DRS wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Mr_DRS wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Mr_DRS wrote:

Message 20 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the RBR was in a bad state. Try this next time you update FW. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Why would think people would want to continue to update firmware after episodes like this?

Message 22 of 23
Mr_DRS
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Thanks, I think you're right. Hopefully performance will be much better, I'll ignore the app for now which is telling me an update is available too although I don't think that was the cause of the problem last time. Have a great Easter!

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7