Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2.5.0.40 Attached Devices Issue on RBR50/RBS50

BillYoung
Luminary

2.5.0.40 Attached Devices Issue on RBR50/RBS50

To whom it may concern:

I have upgraded my Orbi system to 2.5.0.40 from 2.5.0.38 to fix the issue with naming devices.  After the upgrade, i noticed an issue with the Attached Devices screen.  I have captured the information below to show the issue clearly:

#:  4
Device Name:  Elaine's PC
                         DEV-D5:0E:7F
IP Address:      192.168.1.1
MAC Address:  00:23:6A:D5:0E:7F
Connected Type:  Wired
Connected ORBI:  Orbi Router
                              A0:40:A0:54:AD:F2

If you notice the device appears to be my wife's PC.  But notice the IP address of 192.168.1.1 and that the device appears to be wired to the Orbi router.  Rest assured, the device in question is indeed NOT WIRED to the ORBI router, and the IP address shown is the IP Address for the modem.  As my Orbi router is in AP mode, I would expect to see the modem in the list.

Now I know I can correct this issue easily enough through the recently fixed naming of devices.  But why did this fix cause this issue to appear?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch and see if this resolves what your seeing. 

@BillYoung wrote:

To whom it may concern:

I have upgraded my Orbi system to 2.5.0.40 from 2.5.0.38 to fix the issue with naming devices.  After the upgrade, i noticed an issue with the Attached Devices screen.  I have captured the information below to show the issue clearly:

If you notice the device appears to be my wife's PC.  But notice the IP address of 192.168.1.1 and that the device appears to be wired to the Orbi router.  Rest assured, the device in question is indeed NOT WIRED to the ORBI router, and the IP address shown is the IP Address for the modem.  As my Orbi router is in AP mode, I would expect to see the modem in the list.

Now I know I can correct this issue easily enough through the recently fixed naming of devices.  But why did this fix cause this issue to appear?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Alas, I fear there is no "whom it may concern" here.  This community forum is built around some volunteers who found solutions to problems on the forum and decided to (attempt to) help people who have questions.  We are not Netgear employees.

What is fairly obvious is that firmware 2.5.0.38 and 2.5.0.40 no longer appear as "available firmware" on the Orbi Firmware Update page.  Read any of the posts with these numbers in the title and you will see complaints, frustration, anger, and disappointment.  Some users have found that the firmware "works for them" and simply ignore the glaring issues which annoy others.  It appears that most have decided to "go back" to firmware 2.3.5.30 and wait for Netgear to "try again."

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch and see if this resolves what your seeing. 

@BillYoung wrote:

To whom it may concern:

Message 3 of 6
BillYoung
Luminary

FURRYe38:

Done.  I did a factory reset on the device.  Upon re-configuring it, it took me from AP mode back to Router mode.  Even though it appeared to work, I still did a restore of the settings I originally had. (I had done a backup of my settings when this issue appeared.)  I also had to re-sync my satellite to the router for it to work properly.

Once this was all done, I went into the Attached Devices screen, and it had the proper information about the modem once again.  So the factory reset seemed to do the trick.  So thank you for your suggestion.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked out and the back up configuration from file worked too. 

You might make a new backup configuration to file again to capture any new changes. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements