Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2.5.1.16 Results Only

CrimpOn
Guru

2.5.1.16 Results Only

Could we please have a post that ONLY contains reports of firmware 2.5.1.16?

i.e. "My Orbi is now at firmware 2.5.1.16 and I observe:

• No change.  Everything is the same as before.  What worked continues to work. What failed continues to fail.
  • THIS has been fixed.  Did not work before, and now it does
  • THIS is now "broken".  It worked before, and now it doesn't

No arguments about what people should have done or why.  Just observations.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Same as before. RBK50 working well after FW update to v16. No factory reset since coming back from Voxels FW. 

Message 2 of 36
SLK-Purdue
Luminary

Been running 2.5.1.16 for a week without any problems.   Device discovery does seem to be improved and, so far, the WebUI info matches the app info.  No other items noticed.   My changes to DEV_show_device.htm to add column sorting work in 2.5.1.16 without change.

Scott

Message 3 of 36
PSUHammer
Luminary

Anyone who uses Circle notice any improvements?  Last firmware borked it up royally.

Message 4 of 36
CrimpOn
Guru

There was a report from @cdzo72 in a separate post that Circle was broken in 2.5.1.8 and is working correctly in 2.5.1.16.

Message 5 of 36
cdzo72
Apprentice

Since flashing 2.5.1.16 I haven't noticed any of the issues I've had in the past giving problems...
1) Disney Circle seems to be working fine. Adjustments can be made in Circle app and Orbi reacts as it should without having fits.

2) Fewer false alarms and false positives from Armor. It got so bad that I tried sending a bug report to Bitdefender and the Orbi wouldn't even capture its logs. All seems well now.

3) DHCP reservations were causing device disconnects. All seems to work as it should.

4) Device naming and icon assignments seem to be sticking between app and Orbi GUI... but I wish that there were the same selection of icons in the app as in the web GUI.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 36
PSUHammer
Luminary

I can confirm that Circle appears to be working again without killing my Internet connection.

Message 7 of 36
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I have been running v2.5.1.16 for a month (I received an early beta release of it for an open ticket).  For me, I never had the incomplete device list issue others saw with 2.5.1.8, so I see no improvements with 2.5.1.16 on my setup.  I still have 4 open issues that have tickets with NG support at L2 or Engineering levels:

1) Orbi Android App cannot change device icons

2) Orbi Android App icon is incorrect for "smart locks", shows "network" device instead

3) DHCP logging is inconsistent (logs them until rebooted, then does not log them until rebooted again)

4) dnsmasq process for DNS server does not resolve local LAN hostnames

Of these, #4 above is the most critical bug, that they do not appear to want to fix as I have had it open for 12 months!

I do not use Circle or Bitdefender.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 8 of 36
cdzo72
Apprentice

Version BEFORE 2.5.1.8 gave me issues with 1 & 2.
Version 2.5.1.8 solved, FOR ME, issues with naming attached devices and DHCP reservations.
Version 2.5.1.16 solved all the issues that I MYSELF was having with icons and names.

BUT 2.5.1.8 BEGAN issues with DNS but not locally. I use a SmartDNS service that masqs my location for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Crackle (Sony) and BBC.
This seems to be an issue that is WAY OVER Netgear's head, they have no clue what to do. I KNOW the problem is the Orbi because I can PUT ANY OTHER NON-NETGEAR router (Ubiquiti Unifi & Alien and Linksys Velop) in its place and the issue disappears. Their go to reaction when they are clueless is to either ignore the issue or place blame on other components.
Message 9 of 36
PSUHammer
Luminary

Had the new firmware for a couple days with Circle re-enabled and was looking good.  Today, had a few devices drop Internet unexpectedly.  I rebooted the router once.  Watching this as it may be the same issue as before where some devices would lose network and then all of them and only recourse was a router reboot.  I may need to disable Circle again.

Message 10 of 36
changds
Guide

Fixed (so far): 2.5.1.16 seems to be better at maintaining continuous wi-fi signal. On 2.5.1.8, the RBS50 satellite would appear reboot itself several times a week (as evidenced by loss of coverage for several minutes and the appearance of the blue ring). Fingers crossed on results as the week progresses.

Side note: when I first upgraded to 2.5.1.16 and did a factory reset, the RBR50 router couldn't connect to the WAN (a big red "NO INTERNET"). After a couple of reboots, it was able to connect. Not sure if this was a one-time problem, but it does make me reluctant the next time I have to reboot the router.

Message 11 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, there was no report of new FW fixing Circle services. Circle though the app is included in FW, the actual services resides else where not in FW or in the router. So those services and the app with in the FW maybe still faulty. IF you seem to noticing problems with CIrcle, be sure to disable it and check again. If problems don't appear again after it's disabled, please post about this over in the Circle forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

@PSUHammer wrote:

Had the new firmware for a couple days with Circle re-enabled and was looking good.  Today, had a few devices drop Internet unexpectedly.  I rebooted the router once.  Watching this as it may be the same issue as before where some devices would lose network and then all of them and only recourse was a router reboot.  I may need to disable Circle again.

Message 12 of 36
PSUHammer
Luminary

Yes, I know there was no mention of Circle issues being resolved.  But, the reported issues started after the prior firmware release (2.5.1.8) and so far, it appears the latest release resolved them.  I have no idea what did or did not change and I also know many companies do not advertise every change or fix they include in patch or change logs.

I will take the win for now!

Message 13 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Enjoy. 

Message 14 of 36
steve8411
Apprentice

I use the RBK53 Orbi ...  recently updated to  the 2.5.1.16 and have the following issue noted:

My RBS50Y connects then disconnects and will not reconnect.

I've done a full reset of the RBR50Y and the results are the same ... sycs, configs, connects .. drops, then will not reconnect.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 15 of 36
cdzo72
Apprentice

Have you tried generating new passkey?
Message 16 of 36
steve8411
Apprentice

Pass key? As in WiFi password? If not, then that's a new one for me.  Please explain.

@cdzo72 wrote:
Have you tried generating new passkey?

Message 17 of 36
cdzo72
Apprentice

Go to Advanced/Advanced Setup/Wireless Settings and look for Backhaul Password/Generate.
It's the passkey between router and satellites... it generates it's own, also, you may have to manually sync using the sync button on the router/satellites
Message 18 of 36
steve8411
Apprentice

@cdzo72 wrote:
Go to Advanced/Advanced Setup/Wireless Settings and look for Backhaul Password/Generate.
It's the passkey between router and satellites... it generates it's own, also, you may have to manually sync using the sync button on the router/satellites

I'll give it a go when I finish work today and report.  Thanks!

Message 19 of 36
MainerH55
Aspirant

Unfortunately, the satellite ethernet ports work for the backhaul but not a client.

Device scanning speed is much faster and naming is working.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 20 of 36
cdzo72
Apprentice

"Unfortunately, the satellite ethernet ports work for the backhaul but not a client."
Not sure what this statement means. The RBS50s are basically a wireless switch, unmanaged switch. Wirelessly connecting to clients and backhauling to the RBR50 wirelessly or via ethernet.
Message 21 of 36
MainerH55
Aspirant

My RBS20 has two ethernet ports, one being used for the backhaul and the second I hoped to wire to an Ethernet device.

A few older posts indicate that this is a firmware issue, not a configuration or hardware issue.

Message 22 of 36
SLK-Purdue
Luminary

Looks like the SOAP information if slightly broken in 16.  I first noticed it last night when I download the latest iOS app.  I thought the app was the problem but I can access the SOAP information directly now and the problem is the SOAP information the app is getting.   The app is reporting the number of satellites incorrectly and all the associated satellite info.   Last night the app said I had 2 satellites - i have 3.  Today the app thinks I have one satellite.   Interestly, the connected devices are correct and I have confirmed devices are connected to the satellites and working.   The WebUI reports the satellites correctly.

In addition to correcting the bug in 16, it might be time to get the design right and have only one definitive source of information.  The idea that the WebUI reports different information from the SOAP interface is a design error rather than a bug.  One source for definitive data.

Message 23 of 36
changds
Guide

Correction: same as before (2.5.1.16 vs. 2.5.1.8) - the RBS50 satellite still periodically reboots itself (blue ring appears for several minutes while wi-fi is down).

Message 24 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

So you can't wire connect a PC to either port of the RBS? 

You can add a LAN switch to the back of the RBS for additonal ports. Something like NGs GS105 or 108 should work. 

@MainerH55 wrote:

My RBS20 has two ethernet ports, one being used for the backhaul and the second I hoped to wire to an Ethernet device.

A few older posts indicate that this is a firmware issue, not a configuration or hardware issue.

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7