Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2.7.0.70 seems stable

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 2.5.1.16 Results Only

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Do you have just 1 RBS or do you have more? 

@changds wrote:

Correction: same as before (2.5.1.16 vs. 2.5.1.8) - the RBS50 satellite still periodically reboots itself (blue ring appears for several minutes while wi-fi is down).

Message 26 of 36
steve8411
Apprentice

Well on my RBS50Y, I regenerated the passkey, reconnected and the unit synced with a good connection.

5 minutes later, shows disconnected.

Once again, nice work Netgear - NOT.

Message 27 of 36
changds
Guide

Thank you for the suggestions! Some more details on the setup: 1) using wired backhaul between router and satellite (only 1 satellite), 2) 2.4 GHz is on channel 6 / 5 GHz is on channel 48 (both of these are the least crowded in my neighborhood), and 3) did a factory reset and reboot on router and satellite. I think I've tried everything in the bag of tricks.

Message 28 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you contact NG support and file a suport ticket on the RBSY. The FW needs to be updated on the RBSY to ensure it works correctly with new Orbi FW v16. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

@steve8411 wrote:

Well on my RBS50Y, I regenerated the passkey, reconnected and the unit synced with a good connection.

5 minutes later, shows disconnected.

Once again, nice work Netgear - NOT.

Message 29 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you turn down the power for the radios on the RBR to 50%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Does the RBS keep rebooting if you bring the RBS in the same room with the RBR? 

@changds wrote:

Thank you for the suggestions! Some more details on the setup: 1) using wired backhaul between router and satellite (only 1 satellite), 2) 2.4 GHz is on channel 6 / 5 GHz is on channel 48 (both of these are the least crowded in my neighborhood), and 3) did a factory reset and reboot on router and satellite. I think I've tried everything in the bag of tricks.

Message 30 of 36
jeremiahxlee
Tutor

Since updating to v2.5.1.16, I am having brief moments of network disruption experienced by all devices on the network. My husband and I will be on our laptops while music is streaming on our tv and all devices will experience a brief period of no connectivity. All devices show full strength connectivity before the interruption. Sometimes the devices still show connection to the network even though no data seems to be flowing. In these times, I try to connect to Orbi's admin page, but cannnot reach it. When I am able to get data again and view the Orbi logs, I will see the reconnection of devices immediately after the momentary connection blip, which suggests the devices did indeed lose connection. I have not had any connection issues in the 3 years of owning the Orbi and there have been no new devices added to the network in the last few months. Something is broken, but I don't know what.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 31 of 36
changds
Guide

We experienced the same thing. Our RBS50 satellite seemed to be the culprit and bring down the whole network for 5+ minutes while it rebooted. After multiple attempts at firmware changes, gave up. Bought the SRK60 Orbi Pro (which runs on different firmware) and has been stable for 8+ days so far.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 36
changds
Guide

Appreciate the advice and suggestions. Tried a few different configurations, but the Orbi RBS50 satellite kept rebooting. Installed the Orbi Pro SRK60 (running V2.5.2.104) last week, and the router/satellite has been continuously up, connected, and stable for 8 straight days. 🙂

Message 33 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@changds wrote:

We experienced the same thing. Our RBS50 satellite seemed to be the culprit and bring down the whole network for 5+ minutes while it rebooted. After multiple attempts at firmware changes, gave up. Bought the SRK60 Orbi Pro (which runs on different firmware) and has been stable for 8+ days so far.

Message 34 of 36
changds
Guide

2.7.0.70 seems stable

Ironically, the Orbi Pro SRK60 was intermittently dropping after a power outage, so I switched back to the Orbi RBK50 (with firmware upgraded to 2.7.0.70 - https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download). The first couple of reboots, the RBK50 still wasn't staying up, but after a modem reset (which I wouldn't have thought would make a difference), the system has been up for the last 12 hours or so.

P.S. I now have an extra Orbi Pro SRK60 that I'm not sure works anymore.

@changds wrote:

Appreciate the advice and suggestions. Tried a few different configurations, but the Orbi RBS50 satellite kept rebooting. Installed the Orbi Pro SRK60 (running V2.5.2.104) last week, and the router/satellite has been continuously up, connected, and stable for 8 straight days. 🙂

Message 35 of 36
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 2.7.0.70 seems stable

My RBK50 has been doing well on v70 as well:

Basic Information
 CPU Load25.5474%
 Memory Usage(Used/Total)148MB/495MB
 Flash Usage(Used/Total)2955MB/4096MB
 Network Session(Active/Total)162/65536
 System Uptime05:19:59:08
Message 36 of 36