Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2 questions about networkdesign and mesh vs accesspoints

Daniels1984
Aspirant

2 questions about networkdesign and mesh vs accesspoints

Hi,

(I though I posted this before, but l can't find it anymore. If this does turnout to be a double thread please let me know.)

I'm designing my home network and I have a few questions I hope some of you can aswer for me.

I have 1100m2 of ground and a 2 story house. I have a 600mbit fiber connection.

I'm thinking of creating 3 regions:
1. Living room
2. Upstairs
3. Garden / solar panels

These 3 regions will get a cat7 cable connection to the router. Each region will have a unmanaged 8port 1gb switch. The router will be the only DHCP in the network.

In my network I will have 3 sonos speaker, 5 foscam camera's, a synology, 2 smart tv's, a network printer, solar panels and the normal array of tablets, phones and laptops.

I think 3 accespoint will be sufficient for the wifi network. I say accespoints because I don't want an extra router in my network. I am afraid that would disrupt connectivity between the wifi connected devices and the wired appliances.

The downside of accespoints is that (even with the same ssid and security) switching between accespoints only occurs when the device is completely out of range, as opposed to when there is an accesspoint with a stronger signal.

my questions:

1. Is this setup the way to go?
2. Can Orbi help me with setting up a mesh network without an extra router? Even when the accespoints are not in range of one another (cable backhaul, via the router?)?

I appreciate any input!
Message 1 of 8

This is getting kind of confusiong, with a fliurry of messages with different details.

Solved: I could use some help designing my home network - NETGEAR Communities

A general response would be to feed your details and requirements into the Netgear product pages:

Wifi Router | Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Daniels1984 wrote:
I think 3 accespoint will be sufficient for the wifi network. I say accespoints because I don't want an extra router in my network. I am afraid that would disrupt connectivity between the wifi connected devices and the wired appliances.

The downside of accespoints is that (even with the same ssid and security) switching between accespoints only occurs when the device is completely out of range, as opposed to when there is an accesspoint with a stronger signal.

1. Is this setup the way to go?
2. Can Orbi help me with setting up a mesh network without an extra router? Even when the accespoints are not in range of one another (cable backhaul, via the router?)?

If this is in the design stage, is there a reason not to use the Orbi as the primary router?

To address the issue of overlapping WiFi and "handoff", yes, when the Orbi is in Access Point (AP) mode, the WiFi functions will perform the same as when in router mode.  The external router will simply handle all of the "router functions."

There are other integrated solutions directed at large outdoor spaces (Ubiquiti for one).

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between Orbi router and satellite to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 4 of 8

@FURRYe38 wrote:

30 feet is recommended in between Orbi router and satellite ....

A see that from a lot of people. But whenever it appears, I am confused.

Does it mean "at least" 30 feet, or 10 metres in real money? Or does it mean "less than" 30 feet.

I can't believe that anyone expects me to get lout a tape measure and measure exactly 10 metres.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can convert Feet to Meters. 

The 30 feet is best distance suggested to start with. Again, depending upon building materials and everything in between will also dictate optimal placement and distance of the RBS. I measured mine (as the crow flies), my RBR at one end of the house upstairs and the RBS at the other opposite end of the house on the main floor, 40 feet max for my home, RBS and RBR has great coverage for my home. No body said you had to get out and do full measurements. Best guss works as well. You can if you want too.

@michaelkenward wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

30 feet is recommended in between Orbi router and satellite ....

A see that from a lot of people. But whenever it appears, I am confused.

Does it mean "at least" 30 feet, or 10 metres in real money? Or does it mean "less than" 30 feet.

I can't believe that anyone expects me to get lout a tape measure and measure exactly 10 metres.

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

I agree.  It would be wonderful to access the original source for the "30 ft. rule."  The Orbi User Manual from Netgear makes no mention of 30 ft.  As far as I can tell, the manual provides no guidance of any kind about where to place equipment.  Nor does Netgear's video on "How to set up your Orbi" https://kb.netgear.com/31017/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-router-and-satellite

(The video does mention that if the satellite ring glows amber, then the satellite should be moved closer.  And, if the satellite glows magenta, then the satellite must be moved closer.)

So, there are two unacceptable solutions: locate the satellite so far away that it cannot connect (magenta) and locate the satellite right next to the router where the WiFi signals will interfere the most with each other.  As the satellite moves farther away from the router, the 5G backhaul signal will be reduced, and thus the speed of the backhaul will be reduced.  At the same time, as the satellite moves farther away, it will interfere less with the router signal.  Personally, I would want the satellite close enough for the top ring to glow blue, rather than amber.  It appears that some people have concluded that "about 30 ft. is a reasonable distance to begin with."

Obviously, the topology of the house has to be taken into account.  Satellites need electrical power, so they are unlikely to be placed in the middle of a room, in a closet, in a corridor, or on a stairway.  It appears that most of us find our internet service connection against a wall of the house.  (Only a very modern home has a central wiring hub with coax to the outside wall and ethernet cables pre-wired to every room.)  With the modem against one wall, the task is to find a location where the satellite will still "turn blue" and the satellite signal will reach the other side of the building (or even outside to a patio, for example).

So, I think 30 ft. means "start at a convenient power outlet about 30 ft. from the router, and if the top ring turns blue, move a bit farther away.  If it doesn't turn blue, move closer."

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

It's all about finding that placement sweet spot for the system based on building materieals. Distances will differ. 

The 30 feet suggestion is taken from user experiences and my own experiences and doing wifi testing of signals and how wifi signals over lap. The 30 feet marker is just a suggestion. Most anything closer then that is too close. Accept for concrete buildings, then that gets more complicated. Most wooden homes, 30 feet seems to be a good starting point for users to test there RBS. 

And again, theres been users posts that there RBSs are out at much farther distances as well. 

Information is suggested and recommended. Take it or leave it. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7