Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2 routers inline issues?

Z_zz
Aspirant

2 routers inline issues?

I have RBK50-100NAS, 2 router systems.
1-at house modem and older netgear router ac2200.
2-installed a orbi router in barn with a satellite(big 2 story work barn) connected with ground cat6 (200feet) from house works great 80mps and up!
***tried to up grade house too with ac3000 router and satellite and lost output to barn orbi router??? Not compatible???
(To be clear)
1-orbi router +satellite at house(works good in house) now orbi router in barn connected via cat6 is getting like 2mbs or 0 now at barn(worked great before with old ac1200 standard router at house, new Orbi in house now barn Orbi router basically nothing??
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: 2 routers inline issues?

The "AC" numbers are an advertising comment on "speed".  The actual product names (from the product label) are what provide information.

There should be "no problem" having an Orbi system in the house and another Orbi system 200ft. away in the barn.

Some suggestions:

• The yellow (WAN) jack on the barn Orbi needs to be connected to one of the LAN ports on the house Orbi.
  • it would be helpful to know how the house Orbi is connected and configured.  i.e. what is the ISP device (brand & model).

Thanks

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

The way this is set up, each Orbi will be a separate WiFi network.  You may choose to give them both the same WiFi name (SSID) and password, but they are entirely separate.  (Just like having Orbi systems in houses in two different cities.)  A WiFi device may connect to one or the other, and as it moves across that 200ft. gap, it will eventually disconnect from the Orbi and then will connect to the other Orbi when it gets close.

The only way to make this "one BIG Orbi network" is to eliminate the barn "router" and have the satellites in the barn connected directly to the house Orbi router.

Sorry to ramble on.  It would be helpful to have a diagram of how this is all connected.  (Simple drawing on paper is fine. Just scan and make as an attachment.)

Message 3 of 10
Z_zz
Aspirant

Setup.
I used standard setup through app each time. Yes each is a different network and password which is what I wanted.
House just has a TP link TC-7610 modem .
Did I make a mistake setting up barn RbR50 at barn 1st before the house RBR router or are they fighting each other. I'm not an expert at this unfortunately.
See diagram I have powered hub in middle.
Each RBR50 works fine when other is not plugged into each other so that's what's going on.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode do you have the Orbi System in the bard? Router or AP mode?

If the barn Orbi is in router mode, I recommend input the IP address the barn RBR gets from the House RBR into the House RBRs DMZ. 

You could configure the barn Orbi for AP mode as well then you don't need the DMZ on the house Orbi. 

Message 5 of 10
Z_zz
Aspirant

Its 100 foot long barn 2 story, so all Orbi router house and barn just setup normal app no AP modes. So that's router mode then.
Which is better or easier way to go?
1-AP in Barn
2-DMZ house?
Only asking cause I've never done either. Thankyou for all your time and help!
Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the diagram.  I see no reason why this would not work, resulting in two independent WiFi networks.

TC-7610 -> WAN (yellow) port RBR50 LAN Port -> ethernet cable to barn -> WAN (yellow) port RBR50.

With this new setup, the barn system will assign itself a different IP subnet than it had before.  Previously it was getting the "public" IP from the TC-7610 on its WAN port.  After, it is being assigned a private IP address by the new Orbi and will automatically create a new IP subnet for devices attached to it.

This results in the famous "Double NAT" which will make specific applications fail (in the barn), such as VPN, internet gaming, and (maybe) streaming Amazon Prime, connecting to locala servers.  https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT But ordinary activities such as web browsing, email, etc. should function just fine.

To remove those potential situations, it would be a good idea to put the barn Orbi into Access Point (AP) mode.

The choice of "mode" should have no effect on transmission speed.

Can you please look at the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab home page, and click on "Show Statistics".  What does it report for the Status on the WAN and LAN ports for both Orbi's?

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@Z_zz wrote:
Its 100 foot long barn 2 story, so all Orbi router house and barn just setup normal app no AP modes. So that's router mode then.
Which is better or easier way to go?
1-AP in Barn - YES 
https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

2-DMZ house? - NO
Only asking cause I've never done either. Thankyou for all your time and help!

Message 8 of 10
Z_zz
Aspirant

And if I do AP fo I select dynamic or fix IP?
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Either. I like fixed so I always know the IP address of the RBR in AP mode. I use 192.168.#.50 for mine when it's in AP mode. 

IP needs to be outside of the host routers IP addess pool, so the main host router should be set for 192.168.#.100 to .200. Then you can use static IPs on any device on either side of this pool. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7