Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2nd Orbi Router connected to Spectrum Modem?

eriksande
Aspirant

2nd Orbi Router connected to Spectrum Modem?

I have Spectrum Broadband.  There is modem in the closet where the cable comes into the house.  That closet also has a panel ... the house is pre-wired with Cat-5 running to every room.  Currently, the Spectrum modem is connected to a pre-wired cat5 cable that runs to a closet outside of my office.  In that closet, the other end of that cat5 connects to our Orbi Router.  The Orbi has 2 satellites that help the network to cover most of the house. 

Problem: There is one room upstairs that gets a weak signal (due to distance from the router and walls).  My thought is that I should be able to use one of the additional connections on the Spectrum modem to connect the cat5 (in the panel) that runs to that room, and place another Orbi component in there ... but I'm not sure if that's possible.  I'd like to have a great signal, but also don't want to lose Mesh.

Can I do that? if so, would I need another router?

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: 2nd Orbi Router connected to Spectrum Modem?

You can add another RBS thats connected behind the RBR, wireless or ethernet,

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

What is the Mfr and model# of this ISP modem? 

Message 2 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

@eriksande wrote:

Problem: There is one room upstairs that gets a weak signal (due to distance from the router and walls).  My thought is that I should be able to use one of the additional connections on the Spectrum modem to connect the cat5 (in the panel) that runs to that room, and place another Orbi component in there ... but I'm not sure if that's possible.  I'd like to have a great signal, but also don't want to lose Mesh.

Can I do that? if so, would I need another router?

Alas, no.  If the Spectrum modem has more than one ethernet jack, then it is a combination modem/router (and possibly also WiFi).  Anything can be connected to one of those ports, but it will NOT become part of the Orbi "mesh".  If there were two ethernet cables running from the office to the patch panel, then an Orbi satellite could be connected in that room with the connection running from the room to the patch panel and then to the Orbi. But, you don't have two cables.

Although that room may be too far from the router for a satellite to get a good signal, is it too far from one of the existing satellites to get a good signal?  Orbi supports "Daisy Chain" configurations where a satellite connected to another satellite rather than directly to the router.

That would maintain the Orbi "mesh".

If the need in this room is for something "permanent" that does not need to network with anything else in the house, then it could be pluged directly into the Spectrum device with no additional equipment.  It sounds, however, that what you want is WiFi in that room when you happen to go into it (roam).  Another Orbi satellite is the only solution.

Message 3 of 22
eriksande
Aspirant

Thanks so much for the quick reply/guidance @FURRYe38  ...
The modem is a Technicolor DPC3216

THANK YOU!

Message 4 of 22
eriksande
Aspirant

Thanks @CrimpOn ...

If I were to move the Orbi router to the closet with the panel (and connect the Spectrum modem to it there), could I then use the pre-wires in the house to connect them to Orbi Satelittes? ... so I'd then have a hard-wried satellite in the closet outside my office, and another hard-wired satellite in the "problem" room upstairs?  If so ... would I maintain signal strength in those satellites? (more than if they weren't hard wired to the Router)

Thanks for the help ... much appreciated

Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes that can be done. You'll need to connect the wires going to the remote RBS behind the RBR as seen in the link provided is all. You can use a patch panel or switch behind the RBR to connect all wired rooms to if you seem to be running out of ports on the back of the RBR. 

Message 6 of 22
eriksande
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 ... I'll give that a shot.  Much appreciated!

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 22
eriksande
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 ... worked perfectly (almost) ... see below.
I got the backhaul set up ... cable in to Spectrum modem -> Ethernet cable to Orbi Router -> Ethernet Cable to TrendNet Switch -> prewire through the rest of the house -> 2 Orbi Satelittes plugged into jacks at opposite ends of the house -> works great

My problem now is that there are a couple of TV's that WERE set up with a wired connection, that lost that connection with the new set up.  I'm able to connect them wirelessly, but I'd really prefer to stick with the wired connection if possible.  They're connected through the prewire to the same switch, so I know there's a signal coming through ... I'm assuming I've got some IP address or Gateway settings wrong (it won't automatically detect).  Any advice here would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks!

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

You should be able to connect them to the back of the RBS thats wired to the upstream switch. 

You can do this as well:

Ethernet cable to Orbi Router -> Ethernet Cable to TrendNet Switch -> prewire through the rest of the house -> 2nd in room Switch <- TVs and RBs ethernet connected to the 2nd in room switch. 

How I have my two RBS ethernet connected. 

Message 10 of 22
eriksande
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 ... thanks for alwyas being to helpful.  This is going to sounds really novice (b/c I am), but I don't know what RBS means?? lol

If it's relevant ... the Orbi satellites are not in the same room as the TV's I'm wanting to use the wired connection for (the TVs have ethernet jacks behind them connected to the switch)

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS = Orbi satellites

Message 12 of 22
eriksande
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 ... lol, thanks

I guess I don't understand why I would need a 2nd switch in the rooms with the wired TV's? ... the 2 RBS's are not in the rooms where the TV's are.  Can I not just go directly from the pre-wired ethernet wall jack into the TV?  Thanks for your patience 😉

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Of course. Give you options. 

Let us know how it goes for you. 

Message 14 of 22
eriksande
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 thanks ...

OK, that's how I have it set up, but the TV won't recognize the wired connection anymore (which it did before I set up the backhaul).  It says "Unable to connet to the network.  Try the following: check if your IP address is set correctly in the IP Settings.  Contact your internet service provider for more information"

It seems like having the Orbi Router between the modem and the switch panel is the issue ... 

Do the IP settings change with that configuration (from whatever they were when the modem went straight into the panel)?

Thanks for the continued help 😉

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

So sounds like there is a cable line problem from this rooms wall jack to the the RBR...

If you connect a different wired device here does it see the same problem? 

I'd start walking down the line with a wired laptop if you have one and see where the problem is...

Message 16 of 22
eriksande
Aspirant

will do ... thanks

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted...

Message 18 of 22
eriksande
Aspirant

OK ... here's what I found ...

The wiring is good (I have a wire tracker and was able to test continuity between the line at the switch panel and the TV end ...

The TV said (after trying to connect)

Could not connect to the internet
Possible causes:
1. Router may not be set up properly
2. TV does not have a static IP address
Please reconfigure your router or assign a static IP address.  For set up, please refer to your router's instruction manual

Any of that make sense to you guys?

Thanks as always

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

So does connecting a different wired device in this room work? Like a laptop for something portable that you can connect to the wall jack? 

Message 20 of 22
eriksande
Aspirant

Yep ... I moved one of the RBs's to that jack to test, and it works ...

Both TV's are doing the same thing ... I'm assuming that the issue has to be related to the IP address setting on the TV (I just don't know what the settings need to be)

Thanks

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Should be automatic obtain IP addressing...

Might check with the TVs mfr about this as well...

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7