Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2nd Router (in AP mode) Wired to 1st Satellite - Possible?

junisr
Follower

2nd Router (in AP mode) Wired to 1st Satellite - Possible?

I was wondering if a setup like this would be possible:

[Router]-----[Satellite]--[Router(AP Mode)]-----[Satellite]

Would this work to extend the reach of the wifi or would it cause issues? The way my house is configured/wired, I can't get the router into the optimal central position to do a S--R--S setup. The area that the third satellite is results in an amber light.

If the configuration would work, would it be okay for them to all have the same SSID & password, or would it work better to just have two separate SSIDs?

Thank you for any help.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
MarkC1024
Luminary

I would think it would just create a second WiFi network and you'll then have potential problems with the backhaul between them.  You may just want to try a generic extender off of the satellite.

Message 2 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello junisr

You can make them the same SSID but your devices will not auto switch to that new network so it will be hard to tell what network you are connected to.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 4
RonV42
Luminary

I have tried your configure before using powerline adapters and it worked ok.  The wilreless handoff's are the responsibiltiy of device (phone, latptop, etc) that is using wirless.  For me it did work and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with plugging the spare router's lan port into the satellite's port and making the spare router a wifi access point.  Any devices connecting though that spare router would look like a satelite connected device.

For testing I would recomend using a different SSID (network nane) for the spare router that is configured as the accesspoint and configuring both the Orib's and that one into a phone and then test connectivity.  Once veriified change the SSID of the AP to the same as the Orbi.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7