Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 2nd gen Eero announced.

nizmoz
Apprentice

Now that they have tests out, seems to prove you wrong like usual.  EERO is twice the power, twice the speed as they said.

Message 51 of 88

sigh

but its not twice the wifi coverage or twice the throughput , all you get is a second 5 gig which wont cover any greater distance 

the beacon units also dont have ethernet 

and

• Malware protection and parental controls require subscription fee

how about read the reviews rather than just paraphrase the headings 

Message 52 of 88
Vmk16
Star

Hello NortheastGuy ,

I do agree with what you have said but we need to understand that all networking product comes with some or the other flaws moreover orbi works tremendously great as Pete has mentioned .Well Netgear will be launching an app for orbi just like Netgear genie and that will be really soon, we have already come long way , let's wait a bit more .
Message 53 of 88
BostonRob101
Guide

@Vmk16,

Do you work for Netgear tech support? No offense but your responses sound exactly like their scripts. It would be cool if you do, just curious. Thanks.
Message 54 of 88
BostonRob101
Guide

I don't care if the orbi provides 1,000,000 sq ft of coverage because it keeps dropping the connection. I'll take stability any day and I am excited to try the Eero.
Message 55 of 88

@BostonRob101 wrote:
I don't care if the orbi provides 1,000,000 sq ft of coverage because it keeps dropping the connection. I'll take stability any day and I am excited to try the Eero.

then by all means start the rma process and ether get it replaced or returned , i can help you with that process if you like , just message me with some details and i will pass them onto the escalation team , btw i dont work for netgear ether but im happy to help where i can 

Message 56 of 88
JMU1998
Luminary

@Nsiddons no worries just wonder after 11 months we still can't use Beamforming and MUMIMO features that to me is half cooked or perhaps mildly undercooked? 

Message 57 of 88
Uplink01
Star

@peteytesting wrote:

sigh

but its not twice the wifi coverage or twice the throughput , all you get is a second 5 gig which wont cover any greater distance 

the beacon units also dont have ethernet 

and

• Malware protection and parental controls require subscription fee

how about read the reviews rather than just paraphrase the headings 

Sigh is right...

The beacons don't have ethernet, and neither does the Orbi Wall Plug Satellite... So what is the point you are making? 

Also the 2nd Gen vs the 1st Gen are actually very differnet. The second generation units have better antennas and more sophisticated wave 2 radios with working beamforming/2x MU-MIMO and lower noise floors. Yes, they have also added a 3rd band, so you get 2.4Ghz, 5.2Ghz, and 5.8Ghz, and the TureMesh/eeroOS firmware figures out the best and fastest path for everything instead of just dedicating one channel to a backhall. 

For extra Malware protection, and addtional content filters (You get parental controls, aka Family Profiles, for free) you can purchase Eero plus, but its completely optional. The best part IMO, if you choose to pay for it is the VIP support, that I actually used today under the 30 day free trial. 

And yes, so far, my 3x 2nd Gen Eero (Wireless Pro) setup is out performing the Orbi (RBK50 setup) 
in everyway. Speedtests, stablilty, support, and well the Eero iOS app is just great... 

I get that their is some beta firmware coming at some point (seems like we have been talking about it for how many months now?) and a new iOS app in the works, but its been a bit to long at this point for me. So much new hardware has come out from the Orbi team, but software wise, almost nothing??? Doesn't make sense to me when I see Eero releasing new hardware, with all new firmware for its 1st + 2nd gen Eero's, and all new updated apps... 

Message 58 of 88

apart from the rbs30 all other orbis do have ethernet ports 

"so you get 2.4Ghz, 5.2Ghz, and 5.8Ghz,"

and still no increase in signal strength or coverage , beamforming works on the orbi and mu-mimo is useless for anyone that has more than 3 clients connected anyway its just an advertising gimmick

sorry but paying for anything after you have purchased a product just doesnt make sense 

yer but didnt you have a faulty orbi kit ? so it would out perform it 

just for your info there have been in excess of 20 firmware versions so far and there will be more 

im glad you are happy with the eero but as i stated b4 its not twice as good as the original as the reviews seem to be claiming 

Message 59 of 88
Uplink01
Star

@peteytesting wrote:

apart from the rbs30 all other orbis do have ethernet ports 

"so you get 2.4Ghz, 5.2Ghz, and 5.8Ghz,"

and still no increase in signal strength or coverage , beamforming works on the orbi and mu-mimo is useless for anyone that has more than 3 clients connected anyway its just an advertising gimmick

sorry but paying for anything after you have purchased a product just doesnt make sense 

yer but didnt you have a faulty orbi kit ? so it would out perform it 

just for your info there have been in excess of 20 firmware versions so far and there will be more 

im glad you are happy with the eero but as i stated b4 its not twice as good as the original as the reviews seem to be claiming 

And the Eero's also have ethernet ports, so again what is the point you are making? 

I can't say that I agree with that at all. I actually had the 1st Gen Eeros (5 of them at one point) and I couldn't get above 150Mbps on speed tests in most rooms of my house. That is the main reason I switched to Orbi in the first place, as the Orbi had the "raw" speed. Since moving to just 3 new Gen 2 Eero's I get 350Mbps+ (more than my 300/20 internet) in each room, with no issues what so ever. So I am having a hard time saying that they have not been improved... Also it seems that they have a new firmware update coming out that is going to improve the "speed' even more in the future. 

What doesn't make sense is to pay a bunch of money for a product that doesn't seem to work? What also doesn't make sense is to pay a bunch of money for something that continues to frustrate me? What does make sense FOR ME is to buy something that works much better, and actually gives me what I am looking for... 

My experience with Netgear support has been very lackluster over the years. I actually went to best buy, purchased another Orbi setup, used it for 2 weeks, STILL had the same issues, and returned it. A friend of mine is also a having similar issues with his Orbi setup, and has also switch to the new Eero 2nd's (Eero + 2x Beacons) and is having a better experience overall.

Those "20" or so firmware updates are mostly labeled as "bug fixes." What are they fixing? Who knows... I haven't seen any major improvement to the dated Web UI, let alone that the iOS app has seen what one update since it was launched? Maybe two... I am not saying that the new firmware update (and iOS app) that is hopefully coming out soon will improve the experience for Orbi customers, but at this point it is way to late for me. 

Message 60 of 88
jleecloak1
Apprentice

Message 61 of 88
nizmoz
Apprentice

Petey is a netgear fanboy.  You have to ignore him.  I've been here since the Orbi came out, and had Orbi before Eero and had all sorts of problems.  After owning it for 6 months, I got fed up.  I still see they have not fixed all the issues that I had with disconnects and their false promises.  Glad I left them.  I had some issues with EERO, but I upgraded to 2nd Gen EERO, and was able to work around the issues with their support as they are working on them still.  But the speed is definitely faster now than the 1st gen.  It is as fast or faster than my Orbi setup with more coverage than Orbi.  EERO has completely upgraded the EEROs to the 2nd gen Pro setup.  All new internals.  We have better coverage and speeds.  Petey has no clue what he is talking about in that case. He has never owned it.  All the reviews even say they are better.

Message 62 of 88

all those paid reviews you mean !!!! just like they also say the orbi is the best thing since sliced bread

the eero2 hasnt been in the wild long enough or in ppls hands long enough for any real knowledge of how they work long term , the eero 1 still has its issues for some users as does the orbi which i make no claim it doesnt still have un resolved issues

the only reason i havnt tested the eero is we  dont have them here in australia , otherwise i would have tested them by now

Message 63 of 88
nizmoz
Apprentice

They aren't paid.  Denial from you is unreal.  I've owned both Orbi and Eero 1st and 2nd gen.  Which is more than you have ever done.  Please stop posting BS you have no clue or experience about.

Message 64 of 88

@nizmoz wrote:

They aren't paid.  Denial from you is unreal.  I've owned both Orbi and Eero 1st and 2nd gen.  Which is more than you have ever done.  Please stop posting BS you have no clue or experience about.

lol what a load or rubbish , almost all reviewers have some form of payment ether by keeping the product or like

so since you have owned both erro 1 and 2 please post test results and PROVE the eero2  is twice as powerful wifi wise and twice the coverage , put your money where your mouth is as otherwise your just blowing wind and trolling

some testing

"The Eero 2's performance is represented by the light olive-green bar. Netgear's router-plus-satellite Orbi wasn't always the fastest, but it was always much faster than the Eero 2."

from

http://www.techhive.com/article/3204644/network-router/eero-home-wifi-system-2-review-beacons-make-t...

the graph clearly shows an improvement from erro 1 to eero 2 but only that eero 1 was poor , eero 2 at least now runs with most of the pack throughput wise

Message 65 of 88
dmakogon
Guide

An observation about the techhive testing: From what I read in that article, the Eero 2 test system is comprised of main unit plus two beacons. Based on my readings (including Eero's blog post), the Eero 2 Pro (which has three full Eero units) has better performance (though I have no idea how to quantify that).

I wonder how well the Eero 2 Pro performs, in comparison to the Eero w/beacons. I'd think that the Eero 2 Pro (assuming it does offer better performance) would be a more suitable A:B testing when comparing to Orbi.

Message 66 of 88
cue003
Apprentice

Or test the Eero 2 with the beacons against the RBK30 Orbi package.
Message 67 of 88
Uplink01
Star

@dmakogon wrote:

An observation about the techhive testing: From what I read in that article, the Eero 2 test system is comprised of main unit plus two beacons. Based on my readings (including Eero's blog post), the Eero 2 Pro (which has three full Eero units) has better performance (though I have no idea how to quantify that).

I wonder how well the Eero 2 Pro performs, in comparison to the Eero w/beacons. I'd think that the Eero 2 Pro (assuming it does offer better performance) would be a more suitable A:B testing when comparing to Orbi.

I think every test posted so far, at least the ones that I have read are solely testing using the Eero + two beacons (aka Home Wifi System), and to be very clear, the new Eero beacons are NOT Tri-Band, and are not as fast as the Eero's with Tri-Band. Also I assume they are using the factory 3.0 firmware, and not using 3.1 or 3.1.1 that clearly states "Improved performance for eero - 2nd generation.” To be fair, they typically don’t list what Orbi firmware they are testing against either.

"Or test the Eero 2 with the beacons against the RBK30 Orbi package."

I completely agree, most tests seem to be using the first RBK50, so if that is the case then they should be testing against the "Pro Wifi System" that comes with Tri-Band Eero’s, or switch to the RBK30 Orbi package for testing at this point.

Again, I personally have the "Pro Wifi System" so all Eero's that I am using are the Tri-Band versions, and I can tell you that they are MUCH faster than than the 1st Gens I had prior to my Orbi RBK50. So far the speed is equal, if not faster than my Orbi. They also seem to be much more stable than my Orbi, and that is super important to me. I also LOVE the Eero iOS App, it is just great.

Either way, this thread keeps going and going… Like I have said in the past, hopefully a new firmware comes out to fix some of the reported problems, hopefully it adds NEW features, improves the web UI, and a they release a new iOS app that actually is useful. If that happens, that is truly GREAT for the Orbi Community!!! Like I have already said, so far my personal experience with Eero support, the community involvement from the company directly, has been topnotch, let alone that you can clearly see from the updates to their apps & firmware they are very dedicated to making a great product. So even if, Orbi still wins the raw "speed" contest, it doesn't really matter to me anymore, as it is not just about that for me.

Good luck, and great competition tends to make all products better for all of us. 🙂

Message 68 of 88
nizmoz
Apprentice

That isn't the pro system. Like usual you continue to spew stuff you don't have any experience with.  I don't have equipment to test but from my experience around my house which you don't have there is a remarkable improvement.  And the site you linked isn't a reputable company like CNET or others.  

@peteytesting wrote:

@nizmoz wrote:

lol what a load or rubbish , almost all reviewers have some form of payment ether by keeping the product or like

so since you have owned both erro 1 and 2 please post test results and PROVE the eero2  is twice as powerful wifi wise and twice the coverage , put your money where your mouth is as otherwise your just blowing wind and trolling

some testing

"The Eero 2's performance is represented by the light olive-green bar. Netgear's router-plus-satellite Orbi wasn't always the fastest, but it was always much faster than the Eero 2."

fro

the graph clearly shows an improvement from erro 1 to eero 2 but only that eero 1 was poor , eero 2 at least now runs with most of the pack throughput wise

Message 69 of 88
nizmoz
Apprentice

Ding Ding Ding.  We have a winner.  You are correct sir.  The eero pro is Tri-band system the other is not.  I have the pro which is the one that beats the orbi system.  

Message 70 of 88

Thanks for the response(s) here, appreciated. Have you seen the new App/UI or whatever is being updated to control the Orbi ? Having dropped Eero because it stores all my surfing, etc info in their cloud i was hoping we could get similar features. I use OpenDNS but would make life easier if i could see these dario's through the app, live, like i could with Eero. Gotta know what my kid surfs !! Thanks, Constantine
Message 71 of 88

dario ? data !
Message 72 of 88
martyfp
Luminary

Anyone have any idea if Eero2 supports igmp snooping ?  I can't seem to see any reference to it anywhere on google.

For me, that was the feature that pulled me towards orbi - although I've yet to get it to work 

Message 73 of 88
nizmoz
Apprentice

@ConstantineP wrote:
Thanks for the response(s) here, appreciated. Have you seen the new App/UI or whatever is being updated to control the Orbi ? Having dropped Eero because it stores all my surfing, etc info in their cloud i was hoping we could get similar features. I use OpenDNS but would make life easier if i could see these dario's through the app, live, like i could with Eero. Gotta know what my kid surfs !! Thanks, Constantine

EERO does not store where you surf or anything like that.  Your info stays private.

Message 74 of 88
nizmoz
Apprentice

This link answers your question.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/4a9v14/can_eero_pass_multicast_traffic_through/?st=J4YFGPP1&s...

@martyfp wrote:

Anyone have any idea if Eero2 supports igmp snooping ?  I can't seem to see any reference to it anywhere on google.

For me, that was the feature that pulled me towards orbi - although I've yet to get it to work 

Message 75 of 88
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7